Cummins Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.8

Engineering Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in December 2010.

networked at campus career fair and got called by them. Then scheduled an interview over email. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly, polite and accommodating.

Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in February 2011.

2 phone interviews:
    1st one was with an outside recruiter. Pretty easy. She sent a questionnaire 2 weeks in advance. On the day of the interview, I was asked the same questions. Basically HR Stuff.
    Describe situation of conflict
    Describe strengths and weaknesses
    Describe the most innovative thing you have come up with
    What are your future plans - 5 years ahead etc.
    What are the positions you are best suited for and why? (she had sent me a list of positions - entry level)

2nd one was a technical phone interview with the hiring manager. He was from the advanced systems design group. This one was pretty difficult. Nothing asked from resume. Was asked a lot of design engineering stuff like difference between form and function, explain the whole process when you designed a product, stress analyses, etc. had to come up with examples for everything. The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes. Got really tough at some points.

Have been told that the decision will be made in 2 weeks. Will post an update once I receive it.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between form and function in a design   Answer Question
    • What type of analysis you used to evaluate the performance of the product and why   Answer Question
    • What types of tool you know. Details about tools, projects etc. Grilled on extent of knowledge of ProE   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Basically It took 3 interviews
    1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours.

Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new.

Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc.

Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job.
    Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ramsgate, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramsgate, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in August 2008.

Very detailed Interview. Focus on culture fit, marketing knowledge and soft skills. People were nice and open.

My advice to others:

Read over the job description and think about how your experience relates to various aspects of the job. Also, Google for some information about the company...it may not be strictly relevant to the post you are going for but it may help you to form a couple of good questions in case you are asked at the end if you have any questions for them. If you feel well prepared, you will feel more confident on the day.

Remember to listen carefully to what is being asked. You shouldn't be penalised for asking to have the question repeated or taking a moment to compose your thoughts before answering. It is also a good idea to have them repeat the question once you think you have finished answering it just to make sure you are sure you have properly covered what was asked.

If you blank or lose your train of thought just apologise and ask for a moment to gather yourself, then continue.

Remember to breathe, especially before you open your mouth to speak. You will sound composed and therefore confident...the natural instinct when nervous is to just open your mouth and let the words tumble out but you will speak too quickly and run out of breath.

Most of all, try to remain calm and relaxed. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the interview so that you have time to go to the loo, fix your lippy and compose yourself before the interview starts.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in September 2010.

The people at company seemed very polite . I had a phone interview and 5 interviews during the onsite visit.
    The interviewers were interested in the work I had done and my background. During the phone interview I was grilled about my internships mentioned on my resume.I was asked to explain my projects on the whiteboard.Long interviews and maintaining the energy levels was a challenge.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your role in any team based project you did?Waht did you learn from the experience.   Answer Question
    • What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in November 2011.

Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

The company contacted me quickly after I submitted my resume and proceeded to interview me the next week. They then offered me a job immediately following my interview and sent me an official job offer within 2 weeks. The staff that I communicated with were all very friendly.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cummins in January 2012.

College interview for an internship position. They asked me a couple questions. They are all behavior question about the behavior. They also asked me about the most creative idea I've ever come up. They also ask me if I have conflict with teammate when doing the teamwork.

Mechanical Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in September 2011.

I was asked some generic questions about my engineering background experience followed by some more difficult specific questions about failure analysis.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rocky Mount, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocky Mount, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in March 2012.

I was first called by an HR representative. I had a 30 minute interview a few days later with two generalists. After I was notified about making it to the second round, I was interviewed by to hiring managers for 60 minutes. The questions were difficult. They left me about 15 minutes to ask them questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very, very specific and detailed questions about my resume. Know your resume WELL.   Answer Question
    I haven't done any negotiations.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!