Cummins Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.8

Quality Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cummins.

Great interview culture, low stress, couple of behavioral interviews for recent college grad. Nothing too technical for QE position. Overall positive experience. Only thing is they did not pay for travel to site.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when x happened and you did y.   View Answer
    No negotiations.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I talked to the recruiter of Cummins in the career fair at the university. A few days later I received an email to schedule a phone behavior interview. I talked to a engineer through phone. Three weeks later I received another email to schedule a phone functional interview. This time I talked to a site leader. I was told that the result would come out within two weeks, but four weeks passed and I hadn't been informed. So I wrote an email to follow up, and then received the offer few days later. The recruiters I've talked to are nice and made me feel comfortable during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I will start to solve a problem and to give a example in behavior interview.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins.

Initial contact was made at school's career fair in the Fall. A one-on-one interview took place about a week later on campus. I was able to keep in contact with the company over the next few months as positions opened up. Was contacted by HR a few months after initial interview and they requested a phone interview with a hiring manager. Received an offer about a week later.

Initial in-person interview was very behavioral based. Second interview (phone) w/ hiring manager focused on experience and some more technical stuff (nothing too difficult).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an ethical dilemma that you faced and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    Very competitive offer - not much negotiation needed.

Supply Chain Full-Time Interview

Selected to interview during a university career fair in Fall 2014. The first round interview consisted of behavioral and standard questions. Nothing unexpected, they'll ask questions to see in what area you would fit best based on your past experience and interests. Make sure to be as open minded and flexible with this, since jobs are highly competitive and give you a broader chance of obtaining a position. As always, know your resume and provide past results.

Was called for a second and final phone interview a couple of months later. The second interview begins with behavioral questions such as "Tell me about yourself," "A time when you were in a team/leadership experience," and "A time you had an opinion and your peers disagreed." The interview then transitions into technical questions. Know basic terms within your area of study. I was asked about how I calculated and analyzed data from past internship experiences. Again, just know your resume and how you obtained any results. These questions will probably vary for each interviewee since everyone has different experiences. No out-of-the-blue questions, all technical questions were related to my past experiences listed on my resume.

However, nearing the end of the interview, they did provide a short and easy business case situation related to supply chain. Nothing you had to calculate or solve, but more of a "what information would I need to make a decision" type of case. If you hate math or case questions, don't fret, you'll do just fine by having basic knowledge of your major (Tip: A review to freshen what you have learned will do miracles for this).

Overall, a really good interviewing experience. Interviewers really listen and take your interests into consideration. Best advice is to know your resume, be flexible, and comfortable. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • From past projects: How did you calculate/analyze "x" data? What information did you use?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, thought the offer was more than ok.

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins.

There were two interviews in total. The first interview was on campus after career fair. There were two interviewers at the time. One was in charge of asking questions. The other interviewer just took notes. There were all behavior questions. The second interview was at the company. I interviewed with two managers in finance department. They asked about future plan and more focused on the analytic skills.

Interview Questions
    • What analytical skills do you use in your past internship?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

I had a short conversation during a career fair at my university. About 3 weeks later I received a call to schedule a behavioral interview. It was conducted by another engineer who graduated a few years before me, so we had a lot to talk about. Another 2 weeks passed and I got an email from a senior engineer to schedule another interview. This interview was a general interview to see where my skills would be best suited. Almost exactly 2 weeks later I got an email from HR with an offer including a compensation package. Very nice people and easy to have a real conversation with.

Interview Questions
    • General behavioral questions. What's a time when you gave someone the wrong information? When's a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor? Pretty basic stuff.   Answer Question
    They sent a more than reasonable package for my experience level.

Quality Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

Hiring process was smooth and the HR rep made it easy. It was a relocation and the HR rep took care of virtually everything for the interview and even the relocation,

Interview Questions
    They ask what was the minimum I would take to accept the position and that became the maximum offer.

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

On campus recruiting. Interviewed by two recruiters. Long interview but pretty laid back. Lots of questions. Second round interview over the phone with a manager. Again lots of questions but nothing technical. Mostly behavioral.

No negotiation

Chemical Engineering Interview

I got the interview at the SHPE conference. I went through two interviews on the phone, one behavioral (about 20 min) and another technical with a chemical engineer (about 1 hour). Finally I was contacted about two weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How does an engineer validate his/her results from an experiment? What is the first law of thermodynamics?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cummins.

Contacted for a first round interview over the phone. Asked basic behavioral questions. "Describe a time where you used technology in an unexpected way" and "Describe a time where you had a conflict with someone and resolved it."

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time where you used technology in an unexpected way"   Answer Question