Cummins Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cummins in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was good overall. I had the first interview slot in the morning. The interview was mainly behavioral and lasted an hour. They first ran through the resume and then went on to behavioral questions. This was followed by some HR questions related to location preferences. Heard back after two weeks for a second functional interview.

Interview Questions

• Has there been a time where you have had a conflict with a team member. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you were required to make a technical presentation   Answer Question
    • Explain a scenario where you had taken an initiative to get something done   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through their official website. Got an email from one of their HRs for a first round of interview. It was straightforward and she only asked me 5 simple behavioral questions. The entire process of getting a job at Cummins through their official website takes about 1 months with 2 interviews, one with HR, one with hiring manager. Only after you pass the first round with the HR would you get invited to speak with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Cummins? Tell me a time when you miss a deadline.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins in February 2015.

Interview

Behavioral questions only, interviewer was hard to understand. Told me they'd let me know in a week, never heard back. They wanted really specific answers for questions, didn't want general experiences.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to learn to use a new tool for work?   Answer Question
    • What is the most innovative idea you have ever had?   Answer Question

Marketing & Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

On campus interview. I apply online through our school's website, and got an email to inform me that I have an interview need to be schedule. There are two young women interviewed me, and one asked questions from a question-list, the other one took record.

Interview Questions

• very general behavior questions. more focus on group conflict.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins (State College, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process had 2 rounds of interviews. Both were phone interviews. The first round was HR check and the second round was with the hiring manager. The HR interview is to check if you meet with the company's work culture and identify your areas of interest and find the appropriate position for you in the company.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation in which you had to convey a bad news to someone   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Great interview culture, low stress, couple of behavioral interviews for recent college grad. Nothing too technical for QE position. Overall positive experience. Only thing is they did not pay for travel to site.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when x happened and you did y.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Interview

I talked to the recruiter of Cummins in the career fair at the university. A few days later I received an email to schedule a phone behavior interview. I talked to a engineer through phone. Three weeks later I received another email to schedule a phone functional interview. This time I talked to a site leader. I was told that the result would come out within two weeks, but four weeks passed and I hadn't been informed. So I wrote an email to follow up, and then received the offer few days later. The recruiters I've talked to are nice and made me feel comfortable during the interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I will start to solve a problem and to give a example in behavior interview.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Initial contact was made at school's career fair in the Fall. A one-on-one interview took place about a week later on campus. I was able to keep in contact with the company over the next few months as positions opened up. Was contacted by HR a few months after initial interview and they requested a phone interview with a hiring manager. Received an offer about a week later.

Initial in-person interview was very behavioral based. Second interview (phone) w/ hiring manager focused on experience and some more technical stuff (nothing too difficult).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an ethical dilemma that you faced and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very competitive offer - not much negotiation needed.

Supply Chain Full-Time Interview

Application

Interview

Selected to interview during a university career fair in Fall 2014. The first round interview consisted of behavioral and standard questions. Nothing unexpected, they'll ask questions to see in what area you would fit best based on your past experience and interests. Make sure to be as open minded and flexible with this, since jobs are highly competitive and give you a broader chance of obtaining a position. As always, know your resume and provide past results.

Was called for a second and final phone interview a couple of months later. The second interview begins with behavioral questions such as "Tell me about yourself," "A time when you were in a team/leadership experience," and "A time you had an opinion and your peers disagreed." The interview then transitions into technical questions. Know basic terms within your area of study. I was asked about how I calculated and analyzed data from past internship experiences. Again, just know your resume and how you obtained any results. These questions will probably vary for each interviewee since everyone has different experiences. No out-of-the-blue questions, all technical questions were related to my past experiences listed on my resume.

However, nearing the end of the interview, they did provide a short and easy business case situation related to supply chain. Nothing you had to calculate or solve, but more of a "what information would I need to make a decision" type of case. If you hate math or case questions, don't fret, you'll do just fine by having basic knowledge of your major (Tip: A review to freshen what you have learned will do miracles for this).

Overall, a really good interviewing experience. Interviewers really listen and take your interests into consideration. Best advice is to know your resume, be flexible, and comfortable. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• From past projects: How did you calculate/analyze "x" data? What information did you use?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, thought the offer was more than ok.

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins.

Interview

There were two interviews in total. The first interview was on campus after career fair. There were two interviewers at the time. One was in charge of asking questions. The other interviewer just took notes. There were all behavior questions. The second interview was at the company. I interviewed with two managers in finance department. They asked about future plan and more focused on the analytic skills.

Interview Questions

• What analytical skills do you use in your past internship?   Answer Question