Cummins Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015

2.8

Applied Mechanics Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

Applied in campus job fair. Had 1st round interview in campus. It was around 45 mins, almost purely behavior based. Then I got the 2nd round interview two weeks later. It was a technical phone call interview, lasting 1 hour. Focus on fatigue, stress, FEA, beam issue. Honestly it is not difficult but the most difficult thing I confronted is they used speaker and the calling quality was really really bad! I haven't expected about this. I am waiting for the final result and I hope it can come true!

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a question about thermal fatigue of diesel engine and I don't have strong background about diesel engine, so I don't know how to redesign it. I am sorry I even forget the question itself because it is very strange to me.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

Applied through campus and got an interview two weeks after the job fair. Interview was behavioral and not too technical. Receive another interview a week later over the phone. The second interview was more technical. Got an offer a week after the second interview

Product Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cummins.

After getting to know the recruiter at a collegiate fair, I received an email for a behavioral interview. It lasted about 45 minutes and was pretty straight forward.

Now I have a second interview which is a "functional interview". I assume it'll be more of a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • So far, they have been pretty basic behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Quality Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cummins.

First Interview was behavioral, common questions such like how do you see yourself in 5 years and why Cummins. The second interview was also behavioral plus more information on what type of position you want, hands on in a plant or in an office.

Hiring was fairly simple and quick

Human Resources Interview

On campus interview. There are two recruiters and lasted 30 mins. It is not hard, but be careful about your approach, never ever show any signs that you are aggressive or demanding.

Product Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins.

Spoke with recruiters at career fair, got my resume in the right hands, was offered a phone interview a few weeks later. First round was behavioral interview conducted by a current engineer. Second round was a technical phone interview and also conducted by an engineer. Total time from career fair to offer letter was approximately 4 months.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you did a failure analysis" (during the technical interview)   Answer Question
    No negotiating, as it was an internship.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

The behavioral interview which lasts for about 30-35 mins is pretty easy. One guy asks you questions related to your past work exp and gives some situations where you have to tell him about your views and solutions you can get. Other guy writes your responses.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most difficult message you had to deliver to someone in person   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cummins in October 2014.

Wonderful treatment by everyone I came in contact with through the entirety of the process. I met with a recruiter at the HEENAC conference. About two days later I received a phone call to set up a behavioral interview. Once I passed that stage they set up another phone interview (this time technical). Each interview took about 45 minutes. Average difficulty.

Interview Questions
    • General behavioral questions (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, a time you failed, what motivates you, etc)   Answer Question
    • They asked me simple technical questions to see how I managed them. (i.e. if you have two engines and one is running at full load all day and the other is ramping up and down but only working 4 hours a day which one will fail first?)

They just want to see your reasoning and thought process imo

Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins.

I was referred to a position and had an initial, one hour in-person interview. After that, I was invited to the campus and spent a half day with more of the team. Each interview was pretty standard, and they did a good job of mixing up the behavioral and job-specific questions. All of the people involved in the process were very nice and professional.

I got an offer one month after starting the process.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cummins.

Applied for on campus interview through my university. All of you have to do is upload your resume The company officials emailed me. They were very nice and mostly asked personality questions and wanted to know more about your projects. My biggest disadvantage was that I was a freshman and didn't have too much to say about in my resume. If you have adequate experience and a likable personality the process is going to be easy.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly personal Questions like tell me about a time when you had a fight with your teammate   Answer Question