Cummins

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in March 2014.

Interview Details – Number of interviews - 1 (HR) - took about 25 minutes - all behavioral questions - have not had a technical interview yet so cannot say anything about it!

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you had to improvise.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cummins in April 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview. One engineer and one HR conducts it. Go through my resume and asked some behavioral questions

Interview Question – Questions about their business in detail   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in February 2012.

Interview Details – Went to the career fair where I gave my resume to a cummins recruiter who called me later that day to offer me an interview for the following day. The interview was with a head design engineer with a younger recruiter taking notes. They asked primarily technical questions. Two weeks later I had a one on one phone interview with a different mechanical engineer. This interview was behavioral with in addition to asking about specific experiences I had with testing and analysis. Two weeks after that I received an offer over the phone.

Interview Question – Form vs function
5 functions of a washer
Difference in a long vs short screw
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – Spoke to the recruiter during the job fair.Recieved a phone interview after a few weeks following the job fair at my university.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had a conflict which your co-worker and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – Hiring process is totally irresponsible. I gave a behavioural phone interview and thought it was ok-ok. I never heard back from the engineer who took my interview even after following up 3 times.

Interview Question – nothing as such   Answer Question

Las Cruces, NM

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cummins in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was given the first interview the day after a career fair on campus. It was a basic behavioral interview, with nothing too tough to answer. There were two interviewers; one asking questions and the other typing answers. Both recruiters were very friendly. The second interview came over the phone, and lasted for an hour. Being my first legitimate phone interview made this much harder. I was not sure what to expect, and to be honest, I did not feel too good about the interview afterwards. It was much more of a technical interview, and it seemed like the interviewer was trying to confirm if I could speak "technically." A couple of weeks after my second interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – Although not too difficult, this question was unexpected. I was asked to talk about the difference between form and function and what each of those terms meant to me.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – I'm a grad student with no work experience and have done two interviews so far and there is at least one more interview left.

First interview was on campus, they ask you behavioural questions and go through some points on yours resume. It lasts about 30-45 minutes. They decide what department to place you in this interview.

The second interview was a phone interview. The interview was done by the head of the group that was interested in my skill set. This is a technical interview where they ask you some basic ME questions from undergrad and ask you about projects on your resume in detail. Some behavioural questions are thrown in as well.
The next interview will be from somebody in the same or related department.

Interview Question – In round 1, Describe a situation where you took upon an assignment that was not anybody's responsibility but had to be done.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initially he started with a detailed explaination about what he his team has been doing and how they add value to the whole cummins.

Interview Question – All questions were behavioral and nothing specifically difficult.   View Answers (2)

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – Applied online and got mail from Cummins college recruiter after couple of months. The lady contacted me was very nice and she took my first interview (behavioral) on phone. It was very casual with some formula question on work behavior and lasted about 40/45 minutes. This first interview is very generic without any specific question about any specific engineering position. If they find you a good fit with the company, they will put you in a specific position that they think will better suit you. Then the second/functional interview with a technical personal. I haven't face that yet.

There is a lack of communication between the college recruiters. I was asked twice for the same interview from two person just week later.

Interview Question – First interview: No difficult question at all. Just be yourself and prepare for the common behavioral questionnaire.   Answer Question

Jamestown, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – The interview started with standard behavioral based questions. After that it was more informal questions getting to know me as a person and what my interests were. They will ask you about weaknesses, group project challenges you faced, and even somewhat about your moral values that can relate to Cummins core values. Know them.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!