Cummins

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Getting the Interview

28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cummins in April 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview. One engineer and one HR conducts it. Go through my resume and asked some behavioral questions

Interview Question – Questions about their business in detail   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cummins in January 2012.

Interview Details – College interview for an internship position. They asked me a couple questions. They are all behavior question about the behavior. They also asked me about the most creative idea I've ever come up. They also ask me if I have conflict with teammate when doing the teamwork.

Las Cruces, NM

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cummins in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was given the first interview the day after a career fair on campus. It was a basic behavioral interview, with nothing too tough to answer. There were two interviewers; one asking questions and the other typing answers. Both recruiters were very friendly. The second interview came over the phone, and lasted for an hour. Being my first legitimate phone interview made this much harder. I was not sure what to expect, and to be honest, I did not feel too good about the interview afterwards. It was much more of a technical interview, and it seemed like the interviewer was trying to confirm if I could speak "technically." A couple of weeks after my second interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – Although not too difficult, this question was unexpected. I was asked to talk about the difference between form and function and what each of those terms meant to me.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in February 2012.

Interview Details – Went to the career fair where I gave my resume to a cummins recruiter who called me later that day to offer me an interview for the following day. The interview was with a head design engineer with a younger recruiter taking notes. They asked primarily technical questions. Two weeks later I had a one on one phone interview with a different mechanical engineer. This interview was behavioral with in addition to asking about specific experiences I had with testing and analysis. Two weeks after that I received an offer over the phone.

Interview Question – Form vs function
5 functions of a washer
Difference in a long vs short screw
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – Applied online and got mail from Cummins college recruiter after couple of months. The lady contacted me was very nice and she took my first interview (behavioral) on phone. It was very casual with some formula question on work behavior and lasted about 40/45 minutes. This first interview is very generic without any specific question about any specific engineering position. If they find you a good fit with the company, they will put you in a specific position that they think will better suit you. Then the second/functional interview with a technical personal. I haven't face that yet.

There is a lack of communication between the college recruiters. I was asked twice for the same interview from two person just week later.

Interview Question – First interview: No difficult question at all. Just be yourself and prepare for the common behavioral questionnaire.   Answer Question

Jamestown, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – The interview started with standard behavioral based questions. After that it was more informal questions getting to know me as a person and what my interests were. They will ask you about weaknesses, group project challenges you faced, and even somewhat about your moral values that can relate to Cummins core values. Know them.

Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins in January 2013.

Interview Details – Two people are on the phone. One asks about my resume. The other people asks Technical Question

Interview Question – Technical Question:1 What is the first law of thermodynamics? 2 Use first law to solve a working fluid problem about engine 3 What is most important in FEA?   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview Details – The process started with on campus interviewing with 2 people, a manager and an engineer. It was 45 minutes and it was more about personal behavior and anterior internships. Then come the phone interview which was about 1 hour. the phone interview was conducted by 2 persons. i was call for a design job and i end up in applied mechanics. i will go to visit the site next week and i will update my decision.

Interview Question – What will be your behavior toward a senior worker to whom you told to do an experiment and he does it wrong.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in September 2011.

Interview Details – They just asked behavioral questions, like how I dealt with a coworker who had i had a conflict with.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had multiple projects due at the same time.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview Details – Got initial interview from university career fair. First, Interviewed with 3 representatives and it consisted of a behavioral interview. They asked questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, describe a time when you failed to meet a deadline, had a conflict, etc. Also aske what most innovative idea was. One week later got a call to do a phone interview. This consisted of more in depth questions about your past experience, why you want to work here, what are you most interested in and other similar questions.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cummins

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins Mechanical Engineer interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees and interview candidates.