Cummins Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.8

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview, first round, all behavioral questions. There were two staff one for asking questions and another for recording. Not a lot questions, and all the questions were the same I think for all the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Questions like what did you do when you have conflict with your teammates, what did you do when you had a bad relationship with your team members.   Answer Question

Sales Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through college recruiting but also met with the hiring manager directly. Initial phone interview was about 20 min of behavioral questions, second interview was with a hiring manager in Indiana and was more technical and related to work experience. Second interview was about 40 minutes and offer came a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What is your ideal work environment and tell me about a less than ideal work environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Requested clarification on some site specific things but there was no room to negotiate over salary or vacation for college level positions.

Senior Transportation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fridley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Fridley, MN) in July 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by an actual HR person that works for Cummins (Usually they recruit via Kelly Services). I interviewed with the HR person and two logistics managers. All of the questions were behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle.." etc. The managers took a lot of notes but there was not any discussion regarding my resume info or my past experience. When they finished with their questions they asked if I had any questions. I asked them to tell me about a day in the life of the Sr Transportation Clerk. I had received a job description but what the managers told me and what the job description said did not match up all that well. I was told they were making a decision within a week's time. After a week I noticed an ad was placed online for the same job but through Kelly Services.

Interview Questions

• If you are in a situation where several people have a critical problem and they all come to you for an answer, how do you resolve everyone's problem in a timely manner and where do you start?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

First an on campus interview, it was simple behavioral based interview not more than 30 mins. Will look at experiences, research and GPA more than anything else. Then if selected there is a functional interview over the phone. They asked pretty solid technical questions from thermodynamics and gives you problems to solve there and then. Revising before hand helps. And will ask you to interpret a concept by giving you a situation and example. Only bad thing about the process is they are very late in replying back, we have to catch up atleast twice to get to know whats going on.

Interview Questions

• Asked about Duty cycle, which I had no idea about. Asks about engine cycles etc. They will brutally kill you if you dont know your stuff. I thought it was hard but I also though I wouldnt get in at all with the average answers I gave. But I did.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation , they offered a good intern position and a competitive salary. But very late in offering and gives very less time to answer.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online, got a call from one of their talent scouts 3 hours later. They wanted some basic information - where do I go to school, when do I graduate, work sponsorship and so on. There was also a behavioral interview after that for around 30 mins. Standard questions, why do you want to work for Cummins, leadership experience etc. The second round was with a senior manager at Cummins (the director of manufacturing excellence or something). He made me go through my resume completely. He tried to see whether I'd be a good fit to the company or not. It was more of a discussion rather than a "traditional interview". He asked me which areas I'd like to work on and explained what I might learn. The whole thing lasted for 45 mins. The experience was pleasant. One tip I would give future candidates is to learn much about Cummins as possible before your interview. Check the requirements of the job, make sure you have all those qualifications. Explain why you'd be a good fit to Cummins to interviewer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm still waiting on other offers. But I will mostly be taking this. The pay/benefits is pretty good. They sponsor for full time visa's as well.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied and received an on campus interview. The first interview was very informal and just to get to know your personality and see if you would be a good match for the company. I was told I would be contacted within 2 weeks to know if I received a second interview. I was contacted 4 weeks later by phone. My phone interview was very on the spot but went well. The interview was in mid November, and I was told I would find out if I got the position or not within 2 weeks. I didn't hear back until early January when I was told I got the position.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to sell something to a client who you did not get along with or disliked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, it was an internship.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cummins (Fridley, MN) in June 2012.

Interview

Asked simple questions related to internships and prior experience. Got interviewed by three of my future-working team members. What were your key interest subjects and what were your final year project ?

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2012.

Interview

On campus interview. One engineer and one HR conducts it. Go through my resume and asked some behavioral questions

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2012.

Interview

I had interview with 5 different people, the content was very specific. The hiring managers are mostly from India. I noticed they very not very open to talk about other topics, except the details of my resume.

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions about experience, challenges, education, etc   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2011.

Interview

Cummins Interviews are mainly based on personality of the candidate and situational awareness . Very less technical discussion happens during the process. Its more about, if you are open to learning new things or not. The scheduling and the entire process is very well managed to make the candidate feel comfortable. Though the interview happens for 3-4 hours it is generally not intense.