Cummins

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist
Fridley, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Cummins in May 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on line for a posting. Since I had fairly good experience in the field was asked to come for an on site interview. Hiring decision was confirmed in a weks time.

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cummins in April 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview. One engineer and one HR conducts it. Go through my resume and asked some behavioral questions

Interview Question – Questions about their business in detail   Answer Question

Sales Applications Engineer Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through college recruiting but also met with the hiring manager directly. Initial phone interview was about 20 min of behavioral questions, second interview was with a hiring manager in Indiana and was more technical and related to work experience. Second interview was about 40 minutes and offer came a few days later.

Interview Question – What is your ideal work environment and tell me about a less than ideal work environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Requested clarification on some site specific things but there was no room to negotiate over salary or vacation for college level positions.

Senior Transportation Clerk Interview

Fridley, MN

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cummins in July 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by an actual HR person that works for Cummins (Usually they recruit via Kelly Services). I interviewed with the HR person and two logistics managers. All of the questions were behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle.." etc. The managers took a lot of notes but there was not any discussion regarding my resume info or my past experience. When they finished with their questions they asked if I had any questions. I asked them to tell me about a day in the life of the Sr Transportation Clerk. I had received a job description but what the managers told me and what the job description said did not match up all that well. I was told they were making a decision within a week's time. After a week I noticed an ad was placed online for the same job but through Kelly Services.

Interview Question – If you are in a situation where several people have a critical problem and they all come to you for an answer, how do you resolve everyone's problem in a timely manner and where do you start?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Supply Chain Analyst
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, got a call from one of their talent scouts 3 hours later. They wanted some basic information - where do I go to school, when do I graduate, work sponsorship and so on. There was also a behavioral interview after that for around 30 mins. Standard questions, why do you want to work for Cummins, leadership experience etc.

The second round was with a senior manager at Cummins (the director of manufacturing excellence or something). He made me go through my resume completely. He tried to see whether I'd be a good fit to the company or not. It was more of a discussion rather than a "traditional interview". He asked me which areas I'd like to work on and explained what I might learn. The whole thing lasted for 45 mins. The experience was pleasant.

One tip I would give future candidates is to learn much about Cummins as possible before your interview. Check the requirements of the job, make sure you have all those qualifications. Explain why you'd be a good fit to Cummins to interviewer.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm still waiting on other offers. But I will mostly be taking this. The pay/benefits is pretty good. They sponsor for full time visa's as well.

Intern Interview

Intern
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – First an on campus interview, it was simple behavioral based interview not more than 30 mins. Will look at experiences, research and GPA more than anything else. Then if selected there is a functional interview over the phone. They asked pretty solid technical questions from thermodynamics and gives you problems to solve there and then. Revising before hand helps. And will ask you to interpret a concept by giving you a situation and example. Only bad thing about the process is they are very late in replying back, we have to catch up atleast twice to get to know whats going on.

Interview Question – Asked about Duty cycle, which I had no idea about. Asks about engine cycles etc. They will brutally kill you if you dont know your stuff. I thought it was hard but I also though I wouldnt get in at all with the average answers I gave. But I did.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation , they offered a good intern position and a competitive salary. But very late in offering and gives very less time to answer.

Marketing Intern Interview

Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied and received an on campus interview. The first interview was very informal and just to get to know your personality and see if you would be a good match for the company. I was told I would be contacted within 2 weeks to know if I received a second interview. I was contacted 4 weeks later by phone. My phone interview was very on the spot but went well. The interview was in mid November, and I was told I would find out if I got the position or not within 2 weeks. I didn't hear back until early January when I was told I got the position.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you had to sell something to a client who you did not get along with or disliked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, it was an internship.

Employee Relations Specialist Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in February 2009.

Interview Details – Very intense process involving many hours on-site meeting with various people ranging from HR team members to line managers. Thought it was a little tacky since they had multiple candidates in on the same day and because of how things were set-up, you kept running into the other candidates that were walking with people you had met with earlier.

Questions varied in level of difficulty. Discussion with the Director was definitely geared toward past results and being able to quantify those results with a dollar value.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of how you personally have contributed to the bottom line of the organization.   View Answer
  • What do you feel makes you the best candidate for this job?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cummins

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins interview questions and advice in Minnesota. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees and interview candidates.