Cumulus Media

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media in February 2012.

Interview Details – Required 3 or 4 different interviews including a phone interview with a guy in Atlanta that you'll never meet. I had a one-on-one interview locally, then I had a shadow day, then I had a long phone interview.

Wilmington, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Cumulus Media in May 2014.

Interview Details – First interview started with a lot of paperwork and two timed tests. After that I interviewed with the sales manager and it was a relaxed interview. The daily routine seems very regimented and micro managed especially for a commission only position. They will pay a small salary for the first year but you have too start without any accounts and build your own base during that time. The territory was fairly large and there was no compensation for your vehicle, gas or cell phone.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions except on the written test.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Commission only and absolutely no expense reimbursement.

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Cumulus Media in April 2013.

Interview Details – Answered an ad on their web site by sending a cover letter and resume. Did not hear from them so after two weeks, I called the local station for an interview. Luckily the General Sales Mgr. was ready to interview and granted me the full process. Unfortunately, I did not hear back from him ever and later found out he had quit. still, never heard a word from them. I have followed up with them every month since then.

Interview Question – Having to give a sales presentation to the sales Mgr. without any prior training..   View Answer

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

Interview Details – It was a multistep process...
First interview: You have to fill out a questionaire, take a cognitive test, and watch some videos.
Second Interview: Go on a ride along with a current senior rep, and watch more corporate videos.
Third Interview: This is a phone interview with corporate.

Nothing too hard in here, but you should be attentive.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you needed to be persistent.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Everyone has the same first year offer.

New Orleans, LA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very thorough and the most unique process I've completed to get a job. They want to make sure you're a good fit with them, but they also are very straightforward with you regarding income, expectations, and potential.

Interview Question – Why did you choose to apply with us?   Answer Question

Harrisburg, PA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Cumulus Media.

Interview Details – 3 interviews. In-depth, intense, wanted to make sure I would "make the phone calls" for cold calling. (a huge part of the job) Promised bigger compensation and longer lasting guarantee than actually existed. Was hired to represent 5 radio stations and their websites. (After months of establishing relationships and contacts, was told we were going to one station per recent account executives and I would have to give up all my accounts not on that station.)

Interview Question – Will you be able to promise to make at least 50 prospecting phone calls a day?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Confusing and questionable. Very confusing and ever-changing, horrible benefits package. Very lacking HR.

Very Difficult Interview

Account Executive

I applied online - interviewed at Cumulus Media in May 2011.

Interview Details – applied online after a few weeks was called for phone nterview, after that interview a few weeks passed by and was called for a 1-1 interview after a week was called in to do a presentation, a few weeks after was called in for a panel interview and 2 days later called to set up a phone interview with the big wigs in Atlanta. waited for another 2 weeks and was finally told i didnt qualify

Interview Question – tell me about a time............................   Answer Question

Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Cumulus Media in October 2012.

Interview Details – First interview went very well. It consisted of a long discussion with the Sales Manager and the GM about the job and included a pop quiz, and probing psychological questions. I was asked to come back and spend time on the road with a seasoned account executive. He was a bit stuffy and apparently didn't like others riding with him so after making me wait for two hours, I was told to drive myself to meet him at a client location. Long, but all went well and afterwards, the Sales Manager essentially told me I had the job I just needed to answer a few questions by telephone with an HR manager. That interview went really well and I was fully expecting to have an offer but, suprisingly, I got a call from the initial interviewer, the Sales Manager, telling me that they want me to come into the office again, to meet with the GM, again, and the business manager. Reluctantly, as this was the fourth interview, I went. I spent another two hours and there was absolutely no substance to the interview. They had no other questions for me, expressed no other concerns, etc. but they seemed obsessed with asking me what questions I had for them and why I wanted the job which are all things I had already addressed in the previous three interviews. It turned out to be a huge waste of time. At this point, I now had about 12 hours interviewing with them and then I never heard back from them. They seem to have challenges in their interview process they need to work out.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions, analytical, behaviorial, brain-teasing questions. Nothing too complex.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

Interview Details – Long hiring process. Group interviews. Ride a longs with senior sellers. Qualitative test & math test, along with two week training, which results in 100 question test.

Interview Question – Just show a passion for radio sales and you'll gather their attention.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Cumulus Media in October 2009.

Interview Details – They look for people with experience and conduct group interviews and ask candidates to drive along/shadow senior sellers and take a math test.

Interview Question – Basic interview, nothing difficult. Just try to express a passion for radio.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy negotiation. Corporate does move fast to finalize new hires.

Worked for Cumulus Media? Contribute to the Community!