Cumulus Media Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014
Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.8

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

Drove over 100 miles for an interview that I thought went perfect. Discussed with the Marker Manager that I have been interviewed by this company in 3 different cities and that I have a deep passion for radio and that I was willing to do whatever it takes to gain the experience. He was more than sure about giving me a shot because of my drive. He gave me a test to take and invited me to come back and talk about a productions position the day after but wasn't able to. Faxed him the test back and sent him an email thanking him, and never heard from him again. Still emailing him back until this day.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you have went over and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Youngstown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

Very unprofessional and informal interview process. Was contacted by the sales manager on LinkedIn and asked to meet for lunch. Discussed basic aspects of the job and set up a time to come in for a "real interview" one week later. The "real" interview consisted of a 5 minute personality test then 90 minutes of the sales manager trying to sell me on the job - not a single question about my skills or qualifications. Then I got an email (never spoke on the phone) to come back to so a mock sales presentation for the district manager. Did not send me any info on the situation until the night before the meeting after sending 2 emails. The same day I was asked standard interview questions then sent out on a sales call with a salesperson for an hour. I was told I would meet again with the sales manager to discuss salary information when I returned but he was out to lunch. I emailed him asking when he wanted me to return and never heard from him again. All in all, a very shady process and a huge waste of time.

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

The hiring process was pretty lengthy. Two interviews, a test, a presentation and sit it on a sales meeting, and lastly, a third phone interview with the big guys in Atlanta. Though it was a long process, I really learned a lot just by sitting in on their weekly sales meeting.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were given a no, but turned it into a yes.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

3 step process. First interview was pretty basic, normal questions. The second interview you spend the whole day there, meeting most of the sales staff, and going out on a few calls with them. You also have to do a presentation to the manager. Most of the day is spent waiting around to see what the next step is. The third interview is a phone interview with someone from HQ in Atlanta. The guy was rude and turned me off from the job completely. Telling me there is no base salary and because of my lacking experience I would make no money. Overall it is a big waste of time, just to find out there is no perks to the company, not even a base salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

The interview process involves several stages and requires a personality test. The personality test evaluates how you deal with other people, in different situations and what type of personality you have. Control freaks highly regarded as sales people. Company expects sales people to manage accounts with authority.

No sales

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Cumulus Media in May 2014.

First interview started with a lot of paperwork and two timed tests. After that I interviewed with the sales manager and it was a relaxed interview. The daily routine seems very regimented and micro managed especially for a commission only position. They will pay a small salary for the first year but you have too start without any accounts and build your own base during that time. The territory was fairly large and there was no compensation for your vehicle, gas or cell phone.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions except on the written test.   Answer Question

Commission only and absolutely no expense reimbursement.

Promotions Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

One interview with one follow-up.

Interview Questions
    Availability, willing to work erratic hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

I applied for this position online, and then called the Sales Manager and left a voice message and an email to follow up with my application. After filling out some additional paperwork that she emailed to me and answering some of her emailed questions she scheduled me to come in for a face to face interview. She was very professional and asked some pretty tough questions. After her questions she bragged about what her role was and what she expects, she explained the compensation, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you went over and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

It was a multistep process...
    First interview: You have to fill out a questionaire, take a cognitive test, and watch some videos.
    Second Interview: Go on a ride along with a current senior rep, and watch more corporate videos.
    Third Interview: This is a phone interview with corporate.

Nothing too hard in here, but you should be attentive.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you needed to be persistent.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Everyone has the same first year offer.

Business Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cumulus Media.

slow, local management made the process as difficult as possible

Interview Questions
    • none - the local manager did not ask anything complicated   Answer Question
    terrible the company does not believe in paying for qualified people

Worked for Cumulus Media? Contribute to the Community!