CustomInk Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

3.1

Sales/Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CustomInk in September 2014.

Applied for position online, two days later received an email to do an interview through an app on my phone using my camera. Was then setup with a phone interview, asked a bunch of broad general interview questions all about my past job. None of the questions seemed particular to this position. When interview was concluded I was told the next step would be in an person interview setup in the next couple days, and if I had any questions between then to email the recruiter, but I should hear something regardless.

This was the last time I heard from the recruiter, I emailed two days later because I had questions regarding the position my email was unanswered. I then followed up a week later as I have not heard anything and the start date the recruiter told me the company was looking at was approaching. That email also did not receive a response. It is now days after this start date and I have not had any contact with the recruiter. I assume I will not and did not get the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to go to great lengths for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you felt great achievement?   Answer Question

Sales/Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CustomInk.

The interview process at CustomInk is great. The office in Fairfax, VA is absolutely beautiful and all of the employees are very friendly. Expect to be there for about three hours or so, as there are multiple components to the interview. Very casual as well, no jeans but no need to wear a suit. Overall, seems like a great place to work and a very enjoyable and comfortable interview process!

Senior JavaScript Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CustomInk in June 2014.

Phone interview with Human Resources followed by a second phone interview with the Hiring Manager a day or so later. Then an in person interview at their HQ in Merrifield, VA. Tour of the brand new beautiful office space over 3 floors in a brand new office building. And then an interview in their main conference room while connected to a large HDTV for all to see your computer and development skills.

Interview Questions
    • With my laptop connected to a large HD TV in the conference room in front of the 2 developers conducting the interviewing, they wanted me to create a memory card game from scratch with only a list of rules. Allowed to use the internet, however when I found a tutorial for the exact game they wanted created, was not allowed to use it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at CustomInk in August 2014.

I had applied through CustomInk website and got an email response in 2 days. The first interview was scheduled a day after the email. It went on for around 20 minutes and the questions were:

- Why are you leaving your current position?
    - Why do you want to join CustomInk?
    - What did you do in previous positions (that were stated in the resume)?
    - How comfortable are you with the technologies required in the job?

It was to make sure that the resume can be forwarded to the next round for the technical interview.

The technical interview was scheduled after 3 days of the 1st interview. It started with the interviewer giving an explanation of the work environment at CustomInk and the position for around 15 mins. This made me comfortable for the interview. Then the question was:

- How will you create a library for a Deck of Cards?

The interviewer wanted to know that I understand all aspects required while building a library (requirements, unit testing, documentation, object oriented programming and off course the implementation details). I think I did well on this and so there were no further questions. The interviewer was nice and patient listening to my explanation. Finally I was asked to submit the code that was discussed during the interview using a language of my choice. The overall interview went for around 45 minutes.

I submitted the code after 2 days of the interview and got an no-offer response around 3 days after my submission.

Interview Questions
    • Found nothing that was difficult or unexpected for the job profile.   Answer Question

Product Manager: Online Experience Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at CustomInk.

I only had one phone interview with CustomInk. They seem like a great company and to really care about their employees, so I was excited about the interview. I couldn't hear the interviewer due to all of the background noise (which he mentioned is because of the open environment). His phone lost connection a couple of times and it became a distraction. He also seemed to fixate on why I was wanted to leave my company (even after I gave a valid response). Finally, the interviewer strongly insisted that I give an exact dollar amount of salary that I currently receive. I initially gave a range and he insisted on an exact amount. This is a difficult question for me since my salary changes year to year. He just seemed to focus on odd details instead of asking me about project experience, technical knowledge or giving me information about how the role is important to the company.

I didn't hear back, which is good with me. I'm not sure I want to work for a company where it's acceptable to be so harsh in a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • " I need to know the exact amount of salary you received last year..."   View Answer

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CustomInk in July 2014.

I applied online, and I received an email the next day that requested I use a webcam to complete the second step of the interview. Since I do not have a functioning webcam, I requested a telephone interview instead. CustomInk was happy to comply with my request. The phone interview was easy; they want to make sure that you are aware of the company's core values and that you will be a good fit. I was asked to come in for a face-to-face interview the following day.
    When I arrived for my interview, I received a warm greeting from the receptionist, and was made to feel welcome. I was taken on a tour of the facility, and was encouraged to ask questions. After that came the testing: a simple basic math quiz, designing two shirts, and responding to a customer email request. When those were completed, I had a face-to-face interview with two managers. They were very friendly and enthusiastic; they explained the job requirements, training process, pay structure, benefits, etc. very thoroughly and were happy to answer my questions. After the interview, I was given the opportunity to shadow an employee and again, I was encouraged to ask questions.
    Overall this interview process was very relaxed; there were also some fun moments. I felt it ran too long; I was told to expect 2-3 hours, but I was there for 5. There is good reason why positions at CustomInk are highly sought after; expect lots of competition.
    Although this was a very positive experience, I would like to note that I did not see any older workers at this facility.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain how you have applied the "Golden Rule" to a previous job experience.   Answer Question

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CustomInk in January 2013.

It started with a phone interview, then it was followed by two face to face interviews, a test on Adobe Illustrator, an aesthetics test, and it ended in shadowing someone already in the role.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you receive negative feedback at work, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Production Artist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CustomInk in March 2014.

The interview process took a while to get through but you can tell it is to test how much you really want to work for them. After being accepted from the application phase, you go through a phone interview that is scheduled through e-mail. During the phone interview they ask you basic questions about your experience and start to see what kind of personality you have over the phone. They are also looking to see what kind of experience you have with the 3 core beliefs they follow (start doing research on what these are if you haven't already). If you leave a good enough impression by the end of the interview, you will be asked to complete an artist test that will be e-mailed to you. You will not only be tested on if you can use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, but also if you can meet or exceed the time restraints on completing the task and getting it back to them. (Are you skilled enough and can you use these programs well enough to complete the task?). If the test results look good enough, then you will get a phone call to schedule a face to face interview which could last up to 4 hours so be prepared.

In that face to face, you will have a lengthy interview, will be tested on your proofing skills (you only get 1 hour), They then take you to an empty mac computer and have you take another artist test to see if you know the in's and out's of Illustrator. Finally they have you shadow someone for a while to get a feel for the day to day job. Don't forget that this entire time you are still being interviewed, but they expect you to be yourself. Finally you are escorted out and told that you will be notified once interviews are completed. The interviews may last for several weeks and so you may be waiting longer if you were one of the first to be interviewed. You will either get an e-mail or a phone call. So expect one or the other.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions that look to see if you have experience with the 3 core values they have. (Do your research)   Answer Question
    You don't get to negotiate. Take it or leave it, but don't worry to much. You get many chances to increase your commission pay based on performance.

Satisfaction Assurance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CustomInk.

Saw a job referral on my LinkedIn account from one of my connections who currently works there and applied online at the Customink website. Application was super simple, highly suggest adding a resume. The next day received an email asking to schedule a phone interview. Pretty simple phone screen, asked about previous work experience and was asked to give a rundown of the position I was applying for in my own words. Got an invite for a face to face interview. They tell you it's gonna last about 3 hours but mine lasted for 4 so be prepared. They give you a tour first thing and then a panel interview. They ask pretty standard questions relating to previous work experience and how you can make use of it for the company. Then they have you do a test where you are to respond to a "customer" regarding their shirt submission. Keep in mind this is a customer service role so this is where you should let those skills shine. Afterwards was a test to see if you have an eye for detail, spot the difference, what's wrong with this picture kind of stuff. Finally was a one on one w the manager from corporate. Similar to the panel interview but a little more in depth. Then they give you a rundown of benies and wages and then you play the waiting game. Takes about 2 weeks all together.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you took a risk and how did it turn out.   Answer Question

Logistics Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at CustomInk.

It was a quick process. I applied online and received a phone screening that same day. They brought me in the following day for an in-person interview. I was told that casual casual was fine, but I went with business casual just in case. I interviewed with three people, shadowed another Logistics Associate for about a half hour, and was told I'd hear back by the end of the week. Sure enough, that Friday afternoon, I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate. Was given a decent base salary, plus the breakdown for Performance Based Earnings, which is where the real (easy) money is. Do your job, and you get more money every pay period.

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!