Cyan Interview Questions & Reviews

10 interviews

3.3

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cyan.

The senior software engineer at Cyan called me for an Interview. He wanted a strong Javascript background, but since I was more comfortable in Java, conducted the interview in it. Was asked to traverse a graph and find out the number of nodes/ max node in it. Later asked about testing, and also explained how development happens in Cyan. The interviewer was really helpful throughout,and I enjoyed the process. The second step was a take-home coding assignment in Which I had to use an API which created and deleted objects, and create tests for it, all in javascript. Took the better part of a day for me to bruch up on node.js and javascrpt in general, but the process was fun.
    Got he offer, but later had to decline because of an extended semester at school.

Interview Questions
    • Use an REST API server written in node.js (provided) and write test cases for testing success/failure in all possible cases.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cyan in February 2014.

I was contacted by Cyan after my school's career fair and passed two rounds of phone interviews with basic datastructures/networking questions. Got offered an intership position about 2 months later but had accepted other position in the meantime.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult question, all questions were basic CS-trivia questions...   Answer Question

Took more than 2 months to answer, accepted other offer in the meantime.

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cyan in August 2013.

Went through a recruiter and a phone screen process. Answered all of their questions successfully. (sorting, networking) Then they decided to bring me in for a interview.

The problem is that they tend to deceive their applicants, and I don't know whether this is intentional or not. For example, the position I applied for was to be located in San Francisco. However, during discussions with all of the interviewers, they didn't seem to know that they even have a San Francisco office and thought that everybody is in Petaluma. Quite surprising because these are lead engineers.

When they wanted senior engineers, they literally wanted senior. During my tour of the office, I did not see anybody under 45 years old. Secondly, the interviewers had a look of dismay the moment they saw me. I had a suit and everything so I did not realize why they would be so disappointed.

They asked me questions that were not on on the job listing nor my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Given an API with several commands that return a list of records, half the records, and querying a record. Write a solution that can display a sorted list of records. This question required frontend, backend, database, and sorting skills. Also, you get only 15 minutes.   Answer Question

Senior Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cyan in May 2012.

Applied during their open house. No call for 3+ months so I accepted another offer. Later they called me for interview. Took a few hours, mostly they asked general questions (because mostly from high ranks such as CEO, eng. director, HR, hiring manager, one engineer)

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cyan in March 2013.

I got a call within 2 weeks after applying online. I was contacted by a Director. He asked general questions from my resume. Next was a programming assignment in python. It was an online thingy and they gave me around a month to solve them. As soon as I solved the problems, I informed them and I got my interview scheduled the same week. First round was with a Test Engnn as the position was for test automation. He was a great guy. Explained me a lot of stuff about his job and asked simple stuff from my own resume. Next round was with a software engineer. He asked a number of algorithms questions like Sorting in place, Space time complexity etc.

Interview Questions
    • Space time complexity for an inplace sorting algorithm that he described.   View Answer

The compensation was okay $18 no relocation. I was excited to join but suddenly some financial crunch forced me to decline the offer.

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cyan in January 2013.

Recruiter contacted me for phone screening. Two days later another phone interview with Hiring Manager, then invited for on-site interview. Started with a lab tour, then 1-on-1 with variously ranked engineers, managers and directors. The overall experience was fine. As it's a new established company they're looking for a highly experienced senior candidates with multidisciplinary backgrounds.

Junior Embedded Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Cyan in October 2012.

The interview process is brutal. It is six hours long and usually six people interview you. I was asked mostly to talk about my school projects, but I could tell that they were expecting more. The questions ranged from design, knowledge of RTOS, coding paradigms, and brain teasers. I thought that the interview went smoothly, but they try to push you hard at the end. The last interviewer will make a point to try and break you down.

Interview Questions
    • Draw the timing diagram for an RTOS program that has multiple tasks, interrupts, and operates based on time slicing.   View Answers (2)

Senior SE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cyan in May 2013.

I was approached after getting acquainted with the regional technical director and one of the sales directors, and was asked if I would be interested in joining Cyan. After submitting my resume, I had a couple of technical interviews with my immediate superior and a senior personnel who's in a similar role as what I'm expected to fill.

Subsequently, some Skype video interviews were arranged with the senior management at HQ, and I got a verbal offer from them by the following week. Things went smoothly, they gave me the package that I was asking for without much haggling and even with some extra benefits thrown in, and thus I didn't hesitate to get onboard at all.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were quite reasonable, there were no curveballs or gotchas. If we know our stuff and clear of what direction we would like to head towards, the questions are all pretty okay.   Answer Question
    I just told them the percentage of increase over my current package that I'd like to receive, and they matched it. The only question they asked me during that time was whether I'd prefer a 70/30 split or 80/20.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Cyan.

6 Python questions online, phone technical and behavior interview and finally a three round (3 hour) technical interview by different teams in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Draw the state machine diagram for a garage door. The door has two sensor, one of bottom to detect if anything is on the place where the door is closing and another on top detecting if the door has reach maximum retraction (completely opened). The own has a remote with one button.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cyan in October 2011.

tough, with technical and non-technical folks.
    Some of the interviewer went in to obscure areas of engineering whose practical value is limited in a real world scenario, thus trying to either frustrate candidates or pseudo impress them.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cyan? Contribute to the Community!