Cypress Semiconductor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.3

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

First there was a Phone screen by the hiring manager.
    This was followed by a single site visit about two weeks later.
    Site visit consisted of several one on one interviews and a group interview.
    There were a few technical and job specific questions but nothing too difficult or awkward/unexpected.
    Overall, it was fine.

Not able to negotiate.

Industrial Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

I submitted my resume online, and got a call from my hiring manager 1-2 weeks later. She asked some clarification questions and invited me in for an in person interview.

When I got to the interview, i received a short tour of the offices and the manufacturing area (we didn't go inside the fab). After, I had to file out a paper application (which was odd because i filled out an application online). This paper application had all the basic questions, and about 10 short answer questions (2-3 lines) mostly about your work habits.

Then we started the interview process, the first 30 minute interview was with three managers from different areas in the site (internally they call this the "wolfpack" interview). They asked many questions that related the the company's core values. Very few of these questions were technical.

The next two 30 minute interview were with other people that i would be directly working with. These questions were similar to the first questions, but were slightly more technical.

After the interviews i finished up the paper application and was done with the interview process. The entire process took about three hours.

After the interview i kept getting weekly updated from my hiring manager that they were still reviewing my application and she would get back to me next week. I later found out that they were on a hiring freeze, and no new hire paperwork was allowed to be submitted. About a month later i received an email that i was being offered the job.

Interview Questions
    Didn't seem like they were going to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2014.

Met the personnel at the career fair. Got an interview for the next day. The first round of interview in not HR but technical. They tested whether I knew what I was talking about and asked a lot of questions on my resume. The company work culture is pretty serious.

Interview Questions
    • They check whether you have insight on what you are talking about. Asked about power converters questions, to draw circuit diagrams and explain what is going on.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview process consists of a wolfpack interview which is a stress simulation interview.
    The interview is very technical.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you dont agress with the CEO's policy   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

Submitted resume via friend who was a Cypress employee with his recommendation. Phone interview with hiring manager. All day onsite interview. Each interviewer had a page assigned by Cypress to fill up a "hiring" notebook for the CEO TJ Rodgers to personally sign off on, so they took it pretty seriously, etc.

Interview Questions
    • One of the hour long interview was called the tiger team interview engineers. They asked rapidly paced questions to learn your depth and shake you up. Since they were reluctant to ask a marketing guy too many technical questions, I probably got off easier than usual.   View Answer
    A change in job title was arranged to accommodate my salary range. I was upgraded from staff PME to a PMM. A great hiring manager was the key.

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Wolf pack interview, 4 or 5 1:1 . Interview takes one complete day

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

Got shortlisted thorugh job fair.
    then One on campus interview, one phone screening and then onsite.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult. asked system level stuff like bypass capacitor, Sram bus interface,uart.
      So if you are design person, you may be unware of board level stuff. so just be careful.
        Answer Question
    no negotiation. low salary than competitors.

Marketing Analyst Interview

wolfpack interview...about 7-8 people interviewed me. Regular marketing/pricing/interpersonal skills questions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers grilled me a lot! But later I learnt that you could expect that from at least one of the interviewers. The best technique is to just answer the questions precisely when you know this is happening.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2013.

first round: phone interview behavior questions, bala bala bala nothing special
    2nd round: technical interview basic and easy
    last round: on-site interview, whole day long. from 7 am to 6 p.m.
    there are basically several 1-to-1 technical interview sessions. they ask very detailed technical questions, which are not hard but quite basic and fundamental.

The wolf pack is a little bit worse. But one can ask time to think. they just want to know details of one's background. No technical questions are really really hard.

They asked some of tricky, harsh questions just to put you in awkward positions so that they can see your reactions. They know you cannot answer 100% certainly. Just be gentle and very carefully about what you know and what you don't. When giving estimations, be sure to mention it's an estimation.

They also ask questions to test your IQ, but they are really easy.

During the interviews, they are also trying to find people with cypress core values, be sure to read these core values. If you don't like these core values, don't come.

except all these interviews, they also do products demo, HR introduction and you got a chance to see and talk to the CEO and all other VP. Be careful, every one of them talk very quickly.

Overall, think quick and act quick. If one has solid knowledge and graduates from Top 20 Engineering schools, I cannot understand why one cannot pass the interviews unless one does not match the desired skills.

Interview Questions

they offer a low base salary, bonus up to around 10k, relocation fee and interesting stock options.

By estimation, one may earn up to 85k before tax(excluding the stocks). However, Cypress is harsh and requires a lot of devotion. 85k is not interesting when one is doing 1.5-2 persons' work.

But be alert if you are a foreigner, they offer great package such as green card sponsorship. Generally, they start the process 1-2 years after one starts to work. But it can be shortened to 6 month - one year.

Anyway it's not enough for me to give up my determined plan. If they offers 10k more, I will accept the offer.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  University Park, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2013.

Just see them in the job fair and then I showed them my resume and get the interview. they ask me to interview tmr. So I was here to wait and prepare for the interview. It seems very good. I told them that: We met two weeks ago at the Education Career Fair in Boston. I enjoyed speaking with you about ABC Charter School's mission, and the work you do with the students as a college counselor.
    I wanted to reaffirm my interest in the counseling position at your school. ABC Charter School's goal of sending every student to college is one that I strongly believe in, and I know that my counseling experience and passion for working with inner-city students make me a strong candidate for the position.
    I have attached an updated copy of the resume I gave you at the Education Career Fair. I will call next week to see if we can arrange a time to discuss the position together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cypress Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!