Cypress Semiconductor

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

3.3

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

Got shortlisted thorugh job fair.
    then One on campus interview, one phone screening and then onsite.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult. asked system level stuff like bypass capacitor, Sram bus interface,uart.
      So if you are design person, you may be unware of board level stuff. so just be careful.

Answer Question
    no negotiation. low salary than competitors.

Marketing Analyst Interview

wolfpack interview...about 7-8 people interviewed me. Regular marketing/pricing/interpersonal skills questions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers grilled me a lot! But later I learnt that you could expect that from at least one of the interviewers. The best technique is to just answer the questions precisely when you know this is happening.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2013.

first round: phone interview behavior questions, bala bala bala nothing special
    2nd round: technical interview basic and easy
    last round: on-site interview, whole day long. from 7 am to 6 p.m.
    there are basically several 1-to-1 technical interview sessions. they ask very detailed technical questions, which are not hard but quite basic and fundamental.

The wolf pack is a little bit worse. But one can ask time to think. they just want to know details of one's background. No technical questions are really really hard.

They asked some of tricky, harsh questions just to put you in awkward positions so that they can see your reactions. They know you cannot answer 100% certainly. Just be gentle and very carefully about what you know and what you don't. When giving estimations, be sure to mention it's an estimation.

They also ask questions to test your IQ, but they are really easy.

During the interviews, they are also trying to find people with cypress core values, be sure to read these core values. If you don't like these core values, don't come.

except all these interviews, they also do products demo, HR introduction and you got a chance to see and talk to the CEO and all other VP. Be careful, every one of them talk very quickly.

Overall, think quick and act quick. If one has solid knowledge and graduates from Top 20 Engineering schools, I cannot understand why one cannot pass the interviews unless one does not match the desired skills.

Interview Questions

they offer a low base salary, bonus up to around 10k, relocation fee and interesting stock options.

By estimation, one may earn up to 85k before tax(excluding the stocks). However, Cypress is harsh and requires a lot of devotion. 85k is not interesting when one is doing 1.5-2 persons' work.

But be alert if you are a foreigner, they offer great package such as green card sponsorship. Generally, they start the process 1-2 years after one starts to work. But it can be shortened to 6 month - one year.

Anyway it's not enough for me to give up my determined plan. If they offers 10k more, I will accept the offer.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2013.

Just see them in the job fair and then I showed them my resume and get the interview. they ask me to interview tmr. So I was here to wait and prepare for the interview. It seems very good. I told them that: We met two weeks ago at the Education Career Fair in Boston. I enjoyed speaking with you about ABC Charter School's mission, and the work you do with the students as a college counselor.
    I wanted to reaffirm my interest in the counseling position at your school. ABC Charter School's goal of sending every student to college is one that I strongly believe in, and I know that my counseling experience and passion for working with inner-city students make me a strong candidate for the position.
    I have attached an updated copy of the resume I gave you at the Education Career Fair. I will call next week to see if we can arrange a time to discuss the position together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in December 2012.

Cypress came for on-campus hiring for Masters candidate at IITD. CGPA cutoff was 8. Interview will be technical only (2-3 rounds) with elimination after each stage. Final few would have fill-up a form containing HR questions. The interview process takes about 1 day completely.

Software Engineer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in October 2012.

Initial phone interview with Director of Software Engineering, general discussion about my past projects.
    2nd phone interview with team lead: Discussion about my previous projects, handling project from start to end including information gathering, designing and code. Simple technical questions.

Interview Questions
    It was contract, I already knew my hourly rate before interview.

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

2 phone interviews and on-site Interview conducted on-site at the Cypress HQ for about 4 hrs. First interviewer was kind of non-professional and was a bad listener, was just interested in asking text book questions that he knew about. Rest of interview process including wolf-gang was professional and pretty good and interesting.

Interview Questions
    • Most technical questions related to industry experience. E.g. which application and why would it prefer SRAM over DRAM. What is the fastest clock speed on ATE system I worked. Behavioral questions like: Example of how did you settle conflict w/ your supervisor, one thing you don't like about your current job etc   Answer Question

Salary offered for the position was tremendously low and uncompetitive, almost to the point of insulting. HR from India conducted the hiring process, was frequently late on scheduled time for call reflecting a careless and unprofessional attitude.

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in May 2012.

Questions are easy. The interviewer is from the department which i applied, he asked some professional questions.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in April 2012.

Interview Questions
    • How do you rate your statistics ability from 1 to 10?
      How does analog to digital conversion work and what are some of the different types?

Answer Question

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in April 2012.

The interview was for a Co-Op position for technical marketing.

The first step was a phone interview. It started with general questions, and then narrowing down the focus to PSoC. I had some prior experience so I was asked about the projects I had done. They dug deeper into that and asked varied questions on general MCU components.

On the marketing side, were general questions which tested how good I was at getting the complete picture and my marketing skills.

I was then asked to develop a business case, and also a simple PSoC project, and had to submit it in a few days.

This followed with another phone interview similar to the first one, but taken by another person.

Interview Questions
    • There is nothing in particular that was difficult. I was tested on general concepts. They were looking for quick-thinking, flexible and smart people, who are also familiar with Cypress products.   Answer Question
    It was fixed already.