Cypress Semiconductor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.3

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview was for a Co-Op position for technical marketing.

The first step was a phone interview. It started with general questions, and then narrowing down the focus to PSoC. I had some prior experience so I was asked about the projects I had done. They dug deeper into that and asked varied questions on general MCU components.

On the marketing side, were general questions which tested how good I was at getting the complete picture and my marketing skills.

I was then asked to develop a business case, and also a simple PSoC project, and had to submit it in a few days.

This followed with another phone interview similar to the first one, but taken by another person.

Interview Questions

• There is nothing in particular that was difficult. I was tested on general concepts. They were looking for quick-thinking, flexible and smart people, who are also familiar with Cypress products.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was fixed already.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in December 2011.

Interview

1) Shortlisted based on Resume.
    2) Written round on Analog(15 questions), Digital(15 Questions) and C(10 Questions).
    3) Next is the technical interview of the questions mostly on analog(RC circuits, fourier transform, Op-Amps.)
    4) Next is the phone interview about the undergraduate projects and explaining the difficulties faced in the project.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview involved mostly a run-through my resume and surprisingly many technical questions related to EE fundamentals such as VLSI concepts. I talked to 4 different people including directors and VPs. It was about a week ago so I should be getting a response soon, hopefully!

Yield Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (Bloomington, MN) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview consisted of 3 rounds, 1 hour each

1st round was 1:1 with the hiring group manager with behavioral questions with some technical questions.
    I believe the technical questions were easy enough for a person with the right background (I had quite different background). Typical question were on DOE, SPC, semiconductors.

2nd round was 1:1 with another manager of Fault detection group. He asked more detailed technical questions on semiconductor manufacturing process and process control techniques.

3rd round was with a panel of 3:1, all technical people. Asked about my research and some other questions similar to previous rounds to test fundamentals of quality control etc.

Overall impression: Positive, Nice friendly people. Open work culture and interviewers seemed satisfied with their positions.

Staff Applications Engineer Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

The Interview process is very detailed with many people involved. One interesting thing is what I later learned they call a "Wolf Pack" of 3 or 4 people who rapidly fire questions at you. Still, the people are not antagonistic and the questions are realistic and reasonable. But you must be alert and think fast.

Interview Questions

• I can not recall any especially difficult question   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer package was significantly better than I expected. I did not negotiate anything.

Product Marketing Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

The only negative was the company took over two months to get back to candidates from the conclusion of the final interview while telling candidates they would be contacted within two weeks. The engineers were great, but HR was a little slow in responses. For this position my interview process consisted of an interview on campus, a phone interview, and a day of interviews in San Jose, CA. Overall it was a great experience

Director - Program Management Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (Louisville, KY) in July 2010.

Interview

Approval is at the Executive level for all openings, even replacements due to attrition.
    At least three or four rounds of interview. Even one "no hire" decision is a no-go for hiring the candidate.
    Emphasis given to the technical and functional qualifications along with leadership / entrepreneurial traits. Negotiation of salary and perks is commensurate with the job requirement and your fit.

Interview Questions

• You have to be technically quite competent to get into Cypress. The CEO himself is highly technical with a Ph.D. and stays up to date on technology developments.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not too difficult although cumbersome since my assignment included international relocation.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (Lynnwood, WA) in May 2010.

Interview

I interviewed for an internship position at Cypress Semiconductor in Lynnwood, WA. The internship involved testing PSoC chips for their CapSense (capacitive touch sensing) technology. I was initially asked about how I believed their CapSense technology worked, and how I would implement my own idea to do so. I was asked how I would measure the capacitance of a human finger and how I would go about measuring it. I was also asked what I thought the capacitance value was on average. I wish I would have studied Analog to Digital converters a little more, as this was also a vital part of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How does analog to digital conversion work and what are some of the different types?   Answer Question
    • Draw and describe a low pass filter.   1 Answer
    • How would you create your own CapSense technology?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview was OK. Standard questions for the position. On site interview is more like a student's exam. Three interviewees went into three different conference room. Interviewees are enter one at a time.

The interviewees are asking direct questions, cold personality. You can feel fast pace working environment during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with project delay?   1 Answer

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor (Seattle, WA) in January 2010.

Interview

Initial one hour technical phone screen, 4 - 6 hours in-person interview. Seperate inteviews with hiring group, senior management and panel interviews. Technical questions, previous experience questions and personality questions

Interview Questions

• Nothing very surprising. Usual technical questions, puzzles, some MS tools questions, how would you respond questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate much. This was a first job out of college.