Cypress Semiconductor

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

3.3

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in December 2011.

1) Shortlisted based on Resume.
    2) Written round on Analog(15 questions), Digital(15 Questions) and C(10 Questions).
    3) Next is the technical interview of the questions mostly on analog(RC circuits, fourier transform, Op-Amps.)
    4) Next is the phone interview about the undergraduate projects and explaining the difficulties faced in the project.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in October 2011.

Interview involved mostly a run-through my resume and surprisingly many technical questions related to EE fundamentals such as VLSI concepts. I talked to 4 different people including directors and VPs. It was about a week ago so I should be getting a response soon, hopefully!

Yield Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in May 2011.

Interview consisted of 3 rounds, 1 hour each

1st round was 1:1 with the hiring group manager with behavioral questions with some technical questions.
    I believe the technical questions were easy enough for a person with the right background (I had quite different background). Typical question were on DOE, SPC, semiconductors.

2nd round was 1:1 with another manager of Fault detection group. He asked more detailed technical questions on semiconductor manufacturing process and process control techniques.

3rd round was with a panel of 3:1, all technical people. Asked about my research and some other questions similar to previous rounds to test fundamentals of quality control etc.

Overall impression: Positive, Nice friendly people. Open work culture and interviewers seemed satisfied with their positions.

Staff Applications Engineer Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2011.

The Interview process is very detailed with many people involved. One interesting thing is what I later learned they call a "Wolf Pack" of 3 or 4 people who rapidly fire questions at you. Still, the people are not antagonistic and the questions are realistic and reasonable. But you must be alert and think fast.

Interview Questions
    • I can not recall any especially difficult question   View Answer
    The offer package was significantly better than I expected. I did not negotiate anything.

Product Marketing Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in November 2010.

The only negative was the company took over two months to get back to candidates from the conclusion of the final interview while telling candidates they would be contacted within two weeks. The engineers were great, but HR was a little slow in responses. For this position my interview process consisted of an interview on campus, a phone interview, and a day of interviews in San Jose, CA. Overall it was a great experience

Director - Program Management Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in July 2010.

Approval is at the Executive level for all openings, even replacements due to attrition.
    At least three or four rounds of interview. Even one "no hire" decision is a no-go for hiring the candidate.
    Emphasis given to the technical and functional qualifications along with leadership / entrepreneurial traits. Negotiation of salary and perks is commensurate with the job requirement and your fit.

Interview Questions
    • You have to be technically quite competent to get into Cypress. The CEO himself is highly technical with a Ph.D. and stays up to date on technology developments.   View Answer
    Not too difficult although cumbersome since my assignment included international relocation.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in May 2010.

I interviewed for an internship position at Cypress Semiconductor in Lynnwood, WA. The internship involved testing PSoC chips for their CapSense (capacitive touch sensing) technology. I was initially asked about how I believed their CapSense technology worked, and how I would implement my own idea to do so. I was asked how I would measure the capacitance of a human finger and how I would go about measuring it. I was also asked what I thought the capacitance value was on average. I wish I would have studied Analog to Digital converters a little more, as this was also a vital part of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How does analog to digital conversion work and what are some of the different types?   Answer Question
    • Draw and describe a low pass filter.   View Answer
    • How would you create your own CapSense technology?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2010.

Phone interview was OK. Standard questions for the position. On site interview is more like a student's exam. Three interviewees went into three different conference room. Interviewees are enter one at a time.

The interviewees are asking direct questions, cold personality. You can feel fast pace working environment during the interview.

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2010.

Initial one hour technical phone screen, 4 - 6 hours in-person interview. Seperate inteviews with hiring group, senior management and panel interviews. Technical questions, previous experience questions and personality questions

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very surprising. Usual technical questions, puzzles, some MS tools questions, how would you respond questions.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate much. This was a first job out of college.

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in April 2009.

Short, informal phone interview which went well enough that a formal interview was scheduled for later. Interview and hiring process for co-ops is difficult, but is not as grueling as the full hiring process. Interview questions are generally designed to measure practical knowledge as well as gauge how well you handle difficult new situations.

Interview Questions
    • If you drop a rock out of a boat, does the real height of the boat rise or fall?   Answer Question