Cypress Semiconductor Product Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

9 interviews

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2010.

Initial one hour technical phone screen, 4 - 6 hours in-person interview. Seperate inteviews with hiring group, senior management and panel interviews. Technical questions, previous experience questions and personality questions

Interview Questions
  • Nothing very surprising. Usual technical questions, puzzles, some MS tools questions, how would you respond questions.   Answer Question
Did not negotiate much. This was a first job out of college.

Other Interview Reviews for Cypress Semiconductor

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2013.

first round: phone interview behavior questions, bala bala bala nothing special
    2nd round: technical interview basic and easy
    last round: on-site interview, whole day long. from 7 am to 6 p.m.
    there are basically several 1-to-1 technical interview sessions. they ask very detailed technical questions, which are not hard but quite basic and fundamental.

The wolf pack is a little bit worse. But one can ask time to think. they just want to know details of one's background. No technical questions are really really hard.

They asked some of tricky, harsh questions just to put you in awkward positions so that they can see your reactions. They know you cannot answer 100% certainly. Just be gentle and very carefully about what you know and what you don't. When giving estimations, be sure to mention it's an estimation.

They also ask questions to test your IQ, but they are really easy.

During the interviews, they are also trying to find people with cypress core values, be sure to read these core values. If you don't like these core values, don't come.

except all these interviews, they also do products demo, HR introduction and you got a chance to see and talk to the CEO and all other VP. Be careful, every one of them talk very quickly.

Overall, think quick and act quick. If one has solid knowledge and graduates from Top 20 Engineering schools, I cannot understand why one cannot pass the interviews unless one does not match the desired skills.

Interview Questions

they offer a low base salary, bonus up to around 10k, relocation fee and interesting stock options.

By estimation, one may earn up to 85k before tax(excluding the stocks). However, Cypress is harsh and requires a lot of devotion. 85k is not interesting when one is doing 1.5-2 persons' work.

But be alert if you are a foreigner, they offer great package such as green card sponsorship. Generally, they start the process 1-2 years after one starts to work. But it can be shortened to 6 month - one year.

Anyway it's not enough for me to give up my determined plan. If they offers 10k more, I will accept the offer.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

2 phone interviews and on-site Interview conducted on-site at the Cypress HQ for about 4 hrs. First interviewer was kind of non-professional and was a bad listener, was just interested in asking text book questions that he knew about. Rest of interview process including wolf-gang was professional and pretty good and interesting.

Interview Questions
    • Most technical questions related to industry experience. E.g. which application and why would it prefer SRAM over DRAM. What is the fastest clock speed on ATE system I worked. Behavioral questions like: Example of how did you settle conflict w/ your supervisor, one thing you don't like about your current job etc   Answer Question

Salary offered for the position was tremendously low and uncompetitive, almost to the point of insulting. HR from India conducted the hiring process, was frequently late on scheduled time for call reflecting a careless and unprofessional attitude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2009.

The phone interview is pretty easy.
    Cypress interview has two main components which are important:
    1. Interviews on tech skills: They have 3-4 interviews on tech skills. They ask lot of real world problems on their products. They are mostly looking for logical approach rather than the best solution. The wolfpack interview has 3 people who ask questions in a rapidfire manner for 1 hour. This is a test for stress and its okay to ask for thinking time and to formulate answers carefully. This demonstrates good grasp of technology as well as ability to work under pressure.
    2. Interview with questions on estimation:
    Questions such as how many gas stations are there in SF or how many McDonalds exist in US. The key here is to explain the thinking process and to ask clarifying questions to the interviewer and working with them to get to a well-thought out solution

Interview Questions
    They do not negotiate much.
    While considering an offer, take more time to decide on it and ask for more time to decide on it. This makes negotiation easier

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2013.

In person interview - Bangalore, India
    First interview: technical director(product engineering)
    After having worked in the US in a semiconductor firm ..I was seriously looking to find a job for myself in my home country..but this first in person interview was enough to make me repent quitting my job in the US and returning to this ridiculous work environment

Initial questions were about my previous experience..my sincere attempt to make my explanation interesting..failed miserably..the Director was more interested in some of these weird questions based on my marital status and parent's occupation
    so you are still not married?
    I didnt know how to respond to this one..the technical Director then moved on to the next one
    when asked about my parents..I mentioned about my mom's recent job transfer..this led to an unnecessary comment
    all three of you will be in different places?

after giving a look at my resume..
    so why did you stick to the same company for 5 years?
    why no promotion?

I was already done for the day..then came some basic VLSI questions which I attempted..I knew it was going to be difficult to impress this person( dont want to take names)..but the interviewer claimed I need some time to prepare and asked me how long I required..I said I could review in 20 mins but the interviewer's response was...no no you need atleast two weeks...
    I am glad I got out of the place after two more interviews...

Now I am very reluctant to go to Bangalore for an interview..with any firm!

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2012.

Cypress semiconductor came as a on campus job provider. There was written round of aptitude test and interview related to topics of electronics. Also there was one HR interview round where they asked about my hobbies,interests etc.

Interview Questions
    • circuit design using an OPAMP. I was asked to generate a weird shape of waveform using opamp circuit. Also transistor level design for NOT gate,NAND gate etc.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in July 2011.

Initially there was written test with mostly basic technical questions. Then i'd two rounds of 1:1 interview and one group interveiw. Again the questions asked were very basic.

Product Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in October 2011.

The hiring process for interns is pretty standard. It consisted of a phone screen and on-site interview in San Jose, CA. You could also potentially have an interview at your college.

If you really want a job with Cypress, you're going to need to be vigilant in following up with contact. They aren't very organized and frequently "forget" about their candidates.

If you're looking for a company where you will love your job and get respect from employers, run away from Cypress. Cypress cares only about one thing: being the best. They want to see profit, want to be #1, and don't care how they get there. With credit to them, they are very upfront about what sort of candidates they are looking for. If you are very results oriented and want to be the best, then perhaps Cypress is right for you.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of Cypress' Core Values?   View Answer

Product Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in June 2007.

1;1 telephone interview with hiring manager, followed by an on site interview: 4 1:1 and 1 "wolf pack"

Interview Questions
    • describe ouput of a low pass filter, given a step function input   View Answers (2)
    none accepted offer as presented

Worked for Cypress Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!