Cypress Semiconductor

Relevance Date Difficulty

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Co-Op Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was for a Co-Op position for technical marketing.

The first step was a phone interview. It started with general questions, and then narrowing down the focus to PSoC. I had some prior experience so I was asked about the projects I had done. They dug deeper into that and asked varied questions on general MCU components.

On the marketing side, were general questions which tested how good I was at getting the complete picture and my marketing skills.

I was then asked to develop a business case, and also a simple PSoC project, and had to submit it in a few days.

This followed with another phone interview similar to the first one, but taken by another person.

Interview Question – There is nothing in particular that was difficult. I was tested on general concepts. They were looking for quick-thinking, flexible and smart people, who are also familiar with Cypress products.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was fixed already.

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2013.

Interview Details – first round: phone interview behavior questions, bala bala bala nothing special
2nd round: technical interview basic and easy
last round: on-site interview, whole day long. from 7 am to 6 p.m.
there are basically several 1-to-1 technical interview sessions. they ask very detailed technical questions, which are not hard but quite basic and fundamental.

The wolf pack is a little bit worse. But one can ask time to think. they just want to know details of one's background. No technical questions are really really hard.

They asked some of tricky, harsh questions just to put you in awkward positions so that they can see your reactions. They know you cannot answer 100% certainly. Just be gentle and very carefully about what you know and what you don't. When giving estimations, be sure to mention it's an estimation.

They also ask questions to test your IQ, but they are really easy.

During the interviews, they are also trying to find people with cypress core values, be sure to read these core values. If you don't like these core values, don't come.

except all these interviews, they also do products demo, HR introduction and you got a chance to see and talk to the CEO and all other VP. Be careful, every one of them talk very quickly.

Overall, think quick and act quick. If one has solid knowledge and graduates from Top 20 Engineering schools, I cannot understand why one cannot pass the interviews unless one does not match the desired skills.

Interview Question – none   View Answer

Reason for Declining – they offer a low base salary, bonus up to around 10k, relocation fee and interesting stock options.

By estimation, one may earn up to 85k before tax(excluding the stocks). However, Cypress is harsh and requires a lot of devotion. 85k is not interesting when one is doing 1.5-2 persons' work.

But be alert if you are a foreigner, they offer great package such as green card sponsorship. Generally, they start the process 1-2 years after one starts to work. But it can be shortened to 6 month - one year.

Anyway it's not enough for me to give up my determined plan. If they offers 10k more, I will accept the offer.

Staff Applications Engineer Member of Technical Staff Interview

Staff Applications Engineer Member of Technical Staff
San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in February 2011.

Interview Details – The Interview process is very detailed with many people involved. One interesting thing is what I later learned they call a "Wolf Pack" of 3 or 4 people who rapidly fire questions at you. Still, the people are not antagonistic and the questions are realistic and reasonable. But you must be alert and think fast.

Interview Question – I can not recall any especially difficult question   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer package was significantly better than I expected. I did not negotiate anything.

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in April 2012.

Interview Question – How do you rate your statistics ability from 1 to 10?
How does analog to digital conversion work and what are some of the different types?
  Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews and on-site Interview conducted on-site at the Cypress HQ for about 4 hrs. First interviewer was kind of non-professional and was a bad listener, was just interested in asking text book questions that he knew about. Rest of interview process including wolf-gang was professional and pretty good and interesting.

Interview Question – Most technical questions related to industry experience. E.g. which application and why would it prefer SRAM over DRAM. What is the fastest clock speed on ATE system I worked. Behavioral questions like: Example of how did you settle conflict w/ your supervisor, one thing you don't like about your current job etc   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary offered for the position was tremendously low and uncompetitive, almost to the point of insulting. HR from India conducted the hiring process, was frequently late on scheduled time for call reflecting a careless and unprofessional attitude.

Operation Analyst Interview

Operation Analyst
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in May 2012.

Interview Details – Questions are easy. The interviewer is from the department which i applied, he asked some professional questions.

Interview Question – How do you rate your statistics ability from 1 to 10?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview involved mostly a run-through my resume and surprisingly many technical questions related to EE fundamentals such as VLSI concepts. I talked to 4 different people including directors and VPs. It was about a week ago so I should be getting a response soon, hopefully!

Interview Question – Design a CMOS inverter for reduced power consumption.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2009.

Interview Details – The phone interview is pretty easy.
Cypress interview has two main components which are important:
1. Interviews on tech skills: They have 3-4 interviews on tech skills. They ask lot of real world problems on their products. They are mostly looking for logical approach rather than the best solution. The wolfpack interview has 3 people who ask questions in a rapidfire manner for 1 hour. This is a test for stress and its okay to ask for thinking time and to formulate answers carefully. This demonstrates good grasp of technology as well as ability to work under pressure.
2. Interview with questions on estimation:
Questions such as how many gas stations are there in SF or how many McDonalds exist in US. The key here is to explain the thinking process and to ask clarifying questions to the interviewer and working with them to get to a well-thought out solution

Interview Question – How many gas stations are there in SF?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate much.
While considering an offer, take more time to decide on it and ask for more time to decide on it. This makes negotiation easier

Product Marketing Engineer I Interview

Product Marketing Engineer I
San Jose, CA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in November 2010.

Interview Details – The only negative was the company took over two months to get back to candidates from the conclusion of the final interview while telling candidates they would be contacted within two weeks. The engineers were great, but HR was a little slow in responses. For this position my interview process consisted of an interview on campus, a phone interview, and a day of interviews in San Jose, CA. Overall it was a great experience

Interview Question – Standard Tell me about a time you failed.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cypress Semiconductor in January 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was OK. Standard questions for the position. On site interview is more like a student's exam. Three interviewees went into three different conference room. Interviewees are enter one at a time.

The interviewees are asking direct questions, cold personality. You can feel fast pace working environment during the interview.

Interview Question – How to deal with project delay?   View Answer

Worked for Cypress Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!