D. E. Shaw India

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.5

As Financial Analyst Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India.

There was a test comprising of basic economics concepts and some general knowledge, then a group disscussion and finally personal interview. Group discussion topic was easy but in interview I was grilled on my economics concepts

Interview Questions
    • I was asked factor demand schedule in a mopnopsony market   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

The process started with an apititude test, followed by a group discussion and then an interview. There was no information provided beforehand about the number of interview rounds that were supposed to be conducted.
    The interview was pretty general, with questions like 'why this profile?', 'why DE Shaw?' and so on. There were also other simple/routine questions(you can always google them). Given that I have only joined my MBA course, there wasn't a single technical question.
    Also, no questions on my work experience were asked, because i do not have any.

Member Technical Interview

Applied through campus.

There was a pen and paper round consisting of Aptitude, Logical and Technical questions. Technical questions from C, C++ and Java.

Then, there were 2 rounds of technical interview and an HR round.

Interview Questions
    • The interview consisted of only basic technical ques relating to projects, C, C++ and some logical questions   Answer Question

Senior MEMBER TECHNICAL - Java Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India.

Interview Process with D E Shaw India is very lengthy and it involved nearly 5 rounds for me. Even though I heard so many reviews there would be huge work pressure and that the employees will have to work for nearly 12 hrs daily, I decided to give it a go to see how the process will be.

Round 1 - Telephonic - Asked basic core java questions, SQL Index & Query related, covered a few questions on Servlets like persisting count object in Multi-threaded servlet environment and ended the interview round asking few puzzles.

After telephonic, they scheduled a face-to-face interview for me and I was surprised when HR told me that they would conduct 3-4 rounds that day itself after reaching their office. 4 rounds of interview successively would be tiresome for any person Phew!! The only saving grace was the beautiful HR who is very cute and lovely to talk to.

Round 2 - F2F - Started the round asking How to find the closest square of a given number and print the root of the square. The interviewer was very cool and gave me a hint to use binary search to get the solution when I showed him a trivial solution which has more time complexity than binary search. Asked one more simple question like finding the row with max no of 1's in a sorted MxN matrix. Finished the round asking questions on Thread joins, multi-threading in java, Serialization of static vars etc.

After first round of F2F, I took a lunch break and the cute HR girl accompanied me and she told me that there would be 3 more rounds after lunch. OMG!!

Round 3 - F2F - This round was more concentrated on the things which I am currently working on at my current company - asked questions on architecture used in our application, Restful services & Session Management/ User Authentication across multiple servers operating simultaneously. Later, to conclude the round he searched for core java questions on his mobile and threw some of them at me :) and the situation made me laugh inside.

Round 4 - F2F - This time a guy and a girl came together for interviewing me and I was thinking like how hard the round will get now! They started off asking questions on XML & JSON Serialization differences, Data Structure differences, Circular references in XML serialization etc. Then asked me to write an algo to find the Nodes at a distance D from a Node with value 'n' in a binary tree. Since they have already read the solution for that, when I came up with different value checks in my sol'n they got confused and suggested changes to make it look like the solution they have received.

Later, asked me to write class code for different Vehicle types and calculate their MetricValue based on no of wheels property. At the end they asked me to write a method in which the User will be able to provide the method implementing logic for calculating metricValue at runtime. I did nt understand the question and its still confusing for me. I told them that I would use wrapper method over the 3rdParty method provided by user for which they did nt agree saying that would be static solution.

Round 5 - F2F - When I saw one more person coming to take interview I seriously felt does this job really this many rounds to assess the individual. This round mainly focused on design patterns and asked me which is my fav pattern and why, concentrated a bit on serialization, garbage collection etc. Later asked to design a Ladder data structure and an algorithm related one on sorting the courier packages for a Robot to place them in a holder based on their destination and sort the packages by size in a pyramid shape so that small boxes would be on top always.

Finally, when HR told me that I am done for the day, I felt greatly relieved. It takes a heavy toll mentally when you give interview non-stop for 3.5 hrs without any break and to add to that the attitude of the last round interviewer really irritated me a lot. They will ask you to write code for each solution in all rounds and even if you miss a syntax or return type, they will spot it right away.It would be really hard when you lose touch writing code manually with using Eclipse/Idea.

Interview Questions
    • Sorting Courier boxes based on the size to arrange them in a pyramid shape   Answer Question

Had another offer on hand which is way much better and good work life balance

Project Leader, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India in September 2014.

I was approached for the position thru the Job portal, There were telephonic discussions 2-3 which were scheduled like very fast followed by In House Interviews, The interviews happens the whole day with different people mostly on Technical and Probing questions and some scenarios. Each interview ends with a question on logical thinking. The process after that moves very slow as Interview would be taken by C Level people. At one point you would definitely think whether these many Interviews are required to assess a candidate capability.

Interview Questions
    • Logical Questions like Squares in Chess board, findings best horse by least number of races, Technically on Sorting and Logical Search etc   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India in August 2014.

A Telephonic round was scheduled. I was a 2 years Experience guy .

Question1:
    Asked me to create a java application that can generate ID card for a new Joinee.
    I complicated the desgin by using multithreading,JAX-B XML Parsing ,
    The Interviewer expected me touch design patterns like Factory,Interfaces,Abstract Classes, so that he could ask question from them

Question2:
    Design a Ladder data structure

That's it no java specific question on Telephonic round. Generally in Telephonic round you expect to ask theoretical question and see if the candidate has knowledge and then call upon to their work location to Interview on problem solving and other technical skills.
    Asking design pattern over phone will give miscommunication because you can't see what I have written.

atleast thankful for the HR to send a mail informing the I did not suit for the job requirement instead just keeping us guessing.

Senior Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India in August 2014.

The hiring procedure was vague to say the least. They made us take an aptitude test and some coding related MCQs. Also,a code was to be written. Out of 200 odd students,they manually checked the papers and shortlisted 13 students.

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India in January 2014.

I applied on the company website. Within a week, I received a call inquiring about my educational & professional background. Post the interview I was informed I will be contacted within a few days. Within a week I was scheduled for a telephonic interview with the talent acquisition consultant. The interview was very structured and concentrating on my leadership qualities through specific behavioural questions. Within another week I was scheduled for a web based interview(VC), where the questions were concentrating on my knowledge & relevant experience. Each interview was for 1-1.30 hrs. Very gruelling, structured & probing interview process.

Interview Questions
    • 1. You were driving a truck, your combined weight(yourself & the truck) is 1 ton & you have a bridge to cross which can sustain max 1 ton weight. When you reach the middle of the bridge, a bird weighing 500 gms sits on the bonnet of the truck. However you cross the bridge safely without it crashing. When the max weight the bridge could take is 1 ton, then why didnt the bridge crash?   View Answers (3)

Member Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

it was a campus interview. A written test followed by a face to face interview. Interview with 3 panels and we spent all the time from 6 to 12. It was nice experience.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were on basics and algorithms. Your depth and breadth will be tested well. You should be proficient in at least one programming language.   Answer Question
    not much

Talent Acquisition Interview

I applied through a college placement and took a day for the process. comprised of an assessment containing verbal and quant questions followed by GD and then one-on-one behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?   Answer Question