D. E. Shaw India Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

3.5

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at D. E. Shaw India.

Interview

It was a campus interview - written test - analytical, technical, and writing an algorithm. It was then followed by two technical interviews - 1 hour each. The interviewers were very nice and were knowledgable. Questions asked were very difficult - mostly questions for. Your area of expertise. Over all very good interview experience.

Senior MEMBER TECHNICAL Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Hyderābād (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

1 Telephonic interview followed by 4 in-house rounds further followed by 1 HR round. there was a lot of emphasis on object oriented programming, system design, threading. Only in 1-2 interviews actual code was required, however the interviewers were inclined towards clean code.

Interview Questions

• 1. Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit systems. 2. Difference between templates in c++ and generics in Java., 3. Virtual Pointer table 4. Design and implementation of concurrent hashmap 5. Design of a asynchronous logger as a service in distributed systems etc..   Answer Question

Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Delhi (India)).

Interview

It was a two day campus placement process. First day took place in college and consisted of initial shortlisting on the basis of resumes followed by a written round and a group discussion. Neither of these two were elimination rounds. The cumulative total was used to shortlist candidates for the interviews which again consisted of two rounds- technical and HR interviews. Results were declared at the end of the second day.

Interview Questions

• If you wrote an autobiography what would it be called?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India.

Interview

There was a test comprising of basic economics concepts and some general knowledge, then a group disscussion and finally personal interview. Group discussion topic was easy but in interview I was grilled on my economics concepts

Interview Questions

• I was asked factor demand schedule in a mopnopsony market   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

Interview

The process started with an apititude test, followed by a group discussion and then an interview. There was no information provided beforehand about the number of interview rounds that were supposed to be conducted. The interview was pretty general, with questions like 'why this profile?', 'why DE Shaw?' and so on. There were also other simple/routine questions(you can always google them). Given that I have only joined my MBA course, there wasn't a single technical question. Also, no questions on my work experience were asked, because i do not have any.

Senior MEMBER TECHNICAL - Java Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Hyderābād (India)).

Interview

Interview Process with D E Shaw India is very lengthy and it involved nearly 5 rounds for me. Even though I heard so many reviews there would be huge work pressure and that the employees will have to work for nearly 12 hrs daily, I decided to give it a go to see how the process will be. Round 1 - Telephonic - Asked basic core java questions, SQL Index & Query related, covered a few questions on Servlets like persisting count object in Multi-threaded servlet environment and ended the interview round asking few puzzles. After telephonic, they scheduled a face-to-face interview for me and I was surprised when HR told me that they would conduct 3-4 rounds that day itself after reaching their office. 4 rounds of interview successively would be tiresome for any person Phew!! The only saving grace was the beautiful HR who is very cute and lovely to talk to. Round 2 - F2F - Started the round asking How to find the closest square of a given number and print the root of the square. The interviewer was very cool and gave me a hint to use binary search to get the solution when I showed him a trivial solution which has more time complexity than binary search. Asked one more simple question like finding the row with max no of 1's in a sorted MxN matrix. Finished the round asking questions on Thread joins, multi-threading in java, Serialization of static vars etc. After first round of F2F, I took a lunch break and the cute HR girl accompanied me and she told me that there would be 3 more rounds after lunch. OMG!! Round 3 - F2F - This round was more concentrated on the things which I am currently working on at my current company - asked questions on architecture used in our application, Restful services & Session Management/ User Authentication across multiple servers operating simultaneously. Later, to conclude the round he searched for core java questions on his mobile and threw some of them at me :) and the situation made me laugh inside. Round 4 - F2F - This time a guy and a girl came together for interviewing me and I was thinking like how hard the round will get now! They started off asking questions on XML & JSON Serialization differences, Data Structure differences, Circular references in XML serialization etc. Then asked me to write an algo to find the Nodes at a distance D from a Node with value 'n' in a binary tree. Since they have already read the solution for that, when I came up with different value checks in my sol'n they got confused and suggested changes to make it look like the solution they have received. Later, asked me to write class code for different Vehicle types and calculate their MetricValue based on no of wheels property. At the end they asked me to write a method in which the User will be able to provide the method implementing logic for calculating metricValue at runtime. I did nt understand the question and its still confusing for me. I told them that I would use wrapper method over the 3rdParty method provided by user for which they did nt agree saying that would be static solution. Round 5 - F2F - When I saw one more person coming to take interview I seriously felt does this job really this many rounds to assess the individual. This round mainly focused on design patterns and asked me which is my fav pattern and why, concentrated a bit on serialization, garbage collection etc. Later asked to design a Ladder data structure and an algorithm related one on sorting the courier packages for a Robot to place them in a holder based on their destination and sort the packages by size in a pyramid shape so that small boxes would be on top always. Finally, when HR told me that I am done for the day, I felt greatly relieved. It takes a heavy toll mentally when you give interview non-stop for 3.5 hrs without any break and to add to that the attitude of the last round interviewer really irritated me a lot. They will ask you to write code for each solution in all rounds and even if you miss a syntax or return type, they will spot it right away.It would be really hard when you lose touch writing code manually with using Eclipse/Idea.

Interview Questions

• Sorting Courier boxes based on the size to arrange them in a pyramid shape   Answer Question

Had another offer on hand which is way much better and good work life balance

Member Technical Interview

Interview

Applied through campus. There was a pen and paper round consisting of Aptitude, Logical and Technical questions. Technical questions from C, C++ and Java. Then, there were 2 rounds of technical interview and an HR round.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of only basic technical ques relating to projects, C, C++ and some logical questions   Answer Question

Project Leader, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Hyderābād (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was approached for the position thru the Job portal, There were telephonic discussions 2-3 which were scheduled like very fast followed by In House Interviews, The interviews happens the whole day with different people mostly on Technical and Probing questions and some scenarios. Each interview ends with a question on logical thinking. The process after that moves very slow as Interview would be taken by C Level people. At one point you would definitely think whether these many Interviews are required to assess a candidate capability.

Interview Questions

• Logical Questions like Squares in Chess board, findings best horse by least number of races, Technically on Sorting and Logical Search etc   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India in August 2014.

Interview

A Telephonic round was scheduled. I was a 2 years Experience guy . Question1: Asked me to create a java application that can generate ID card for a new Joinee. I complicated the desgin by using multithreading,JAX-B XML Parsing , The Interviewer expected me touch design patterns like Factory,Interfaces,Abstract Classes, so that he could ask question from them Question2: Design a Ladder data structure That's it no java specific question on Telephonic round. Generally in Telephonic round you expect to ask theoretical question and see if the candidate has knowledge and then call upon to their work location to Interview on problem solving and other technical skills. Asking design pattern over phone will give miscommunication because you can't see what I have written. atleast thankful for the HR to send a mail informing the I did not suit for the job requirement instead just keeping us guessing.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw India in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring procedure was vague to say the least. They made us take an aptitude test and some coding related MCQs. Also,a code was to be written. Out of 200 odd students,they manually checked the papers and shortlisted 13 students.