D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2014
Updated Aug 6, 2014

3.4

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

First round is a 30 minute phone interview. 5 minutes behavioral, 20 resume overview, 5 minutes technical question. technical question was probability type question. Resume questions are straight forward but you need to know very well why your skill can drive value for them.

Trader Interview

I applied through their website and got a phone interview with one of their traders. Most of the questions were behavioral, except one brain teaser. He was nice, but I did not do well and got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of pieces of pizza consumed in the U.S. every day.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I got a phone interview about two weeks after the application deadline. This interview lasted about half an hour. The interviewer was nice and gave me a call on time. Most questions focused on my past experience. He also asked a few question about the international market. They wanted candidates with diverse background.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most difficult thing if you are U.S president?   Answer Question

Rotational Associate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I replied to a posting on the campus jobs board. The recruiter referred me to the Rotational Associates Position. The first round was a half-hour phone interview followed by three second-round interviews onsite. The people I spoke with were generally very smart with non-traditional backgrounds for finance. However, the process is very competitive and they seem to interview many people relative to the number of openings.

Interview Questions
    • I got the life insurance scenario mentioned by other candidates.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst/Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2013.

I had one phone interview, which had a few math/CS questions. I was then invited onsite, where there were 5 rounds of interviews, as well as an off-the-record lunch discussion. There were lots of probability and algorithmic questions. Knowledge of finance seemed to be a plus but not necessary. Everyone was very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questions was how would you color a 3-colorable graph. I was initially thinking that you had to do something efficient, which isn't possible, but he just wanted some way of doing it.   View Answer

Software Engineering and Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2013.

I applied online and received an interview offer pretty early. They asked for a phone interview, and asked to have pencil and paper ready. There was no coding during the interview. First, we discussed my resume. The interviewer said he liked my resume. We then discussed one of the projects from my resume. I thought the interview was going really well. He then gave me two brain teasers to think about, and then we discussed my reasoning. The teasers are below.

Interview Questions
    • The first question he gave me was not hard.
      1. You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children is a boy. The answer happens to be yes again. What's the probability that the second child is a boy?

2. (Much harder)
      You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children's name a William. The answer happens to be yes again.(We assume William is a boy's name, and that it's possible that both children are Williams) What's the probability that the second child is a boy?
        View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2012.

Initial phone interview, then four hour-long onsite interviews, and finally had to submit four references and code and writing samples. Mostly technical focus - algorithms, brain teasers, math, etc. - with a few fit questions thrown in. Everyone seemed very intelligent, and indeed they were; many analysts have a Ph.D. in some technical field (Math, Physics, EE, Econ, etc.).

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Phone interview went well, but didn't get second round. The guy was very friendly, asked me about my research project -- he had a math PhD and so we talked a lot about some of the things that I'd worked on but he didn't seem to be very impressed. We then switched to doing some basic probability that I struggled with but eventually succeeded.

Interview Questions
    • Consider an infinite set of pairwise independent random variables which are uniformly distributed between 0 and 1. What's the expected number that you need to add to get a number that exceeds 1.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

First round phone Interview only. Very Prompt response on whether you advanced. The whole process took a few weeks. From the moment you submit your resume on the website, it took roughly 6-7 business days for them to contact you. Then you schedule a first round a few days out. Apparently the superday is suppose to be 4 hours and consists of many 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The brainteaser was a variation of the 100 coins and 5 pirates. There were 6 pirates instead. So the premise is that there are 6 pirates and you are the captain. You must divide the coins. If 50% of the people rebel against your allocation, they kill you and the process starts again. What is the optimal allocation?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Had a first round phone interview followed by an in-person interview at their New York office

Interview Questions

Worked for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm? Contribute to the Community!