D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Updated Nov 28, 2014
Updated Nov 28, 2014

3.4

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Applied through school career website, the process took about a week. I got the first round interview in school. The guy was very nice, he didn't mention anything about the interview in the first 5 mins.

Interview Questions
    • what is 57*89?
      Pitch me a stock.
      If a company's P/E Ratio is 10 compare with the industry avg of 12, what do you think the reason is?

Answer Question

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

On-campus Hiring. I have an on-campus interview. The interviewer is a really nice guy. He just went through my resume, and ask some behavior questions. Nothing is special. Just prepare your stories and prepare for behavior questions. I believe the most important thing is whether your major matches the position you applied.

Finance and Operations Interview

I got the interview through the university career fair and online application. It was a phone interview. I talked to a manager in New York office for 30 minutes. Basic resume questions, but more technically. Also I was asked to solve a math problem

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2014.

I had a first round interview on the phone.
    Come from a non-US school in my penultimate year of study. Applied online and received a call for an interview a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • You know that I have 2 children and 1 boy among them at least. What is the probability that my other child is a girl?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2014.

Phone interview. The interviewed asked about my research projects and a couple brainteasers about fair coin flips required to use law of large numbers and large deviation. The interviewer is very friendly, and seemed to be interested in my research. The brainteasers are standard probability questions.

Interview Questions
    • Flip a fair coin 1000 times. What's the probability that the number of heads come up more than 550 times? What theorem would you use to describe probabilities of rare events as number of coin flips goes to infinity?   View Answer

Financial Analyst/Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I was Asked some questions about my research. I also introduced my interest I. Summer intern. They give me a probability question, but I give the wrong answer. In the end, they asked me if I have questions about their company. I asked what kind of job for an intern.

Interview Questions
    • The family has two chilDren. The person answered the phone is a boy, what is the prob the family has a girl?   View Answers (2)

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2014.

I was asked a bit about my research, and then the following 3 questions:

(1) Let A be an n by n matrix, with all off-diagonal entries equal to a, and all diagonal entries equal to 1. For which value of a, is this matrix positive definite?

(2) We start with a number n, and let S = 0. At the first step

What number do we end up with?

(3) Suppose we have a fair coin, and we toss it a million times. Let X be the number of heads; estimate the probability that X > 502,000.

Interview Questions
    • (4) You are given two Gaussian variables: X_1 and X_2 with means m_1, m_2 and variance v_1, v_2.

Suppose you know the sum X_1 + X_2 is equal to n. What is the expected value of X_2?

View Answers (7)

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

First round is a 30 minute phone interview. 5 minutes behavioral, 20 resume overview, 5 minutes technical question. technical question was probability type question. Resume questions are straight forward but you need to know very well why your skill can drive value for them.

Trader Interview

I applied through their website and got a phone interview with one of their traders. Most of the questions were behavioral, except one brain teaser. He was nice, but I did not do well and got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of pieces of pizza consumed in the U.S. every day.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I got a phone interview about two weeks after the application deadline. This interview lasted about half an hour. The interviewer was nice and gave me a call on time. Most questions focused on my past experience. He also asked a few question about the international market. They wanted candidates with diverse background.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most difficult thing if you are U.S president?   Answer Question