D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in August 2008.

Applied over the web. They responded by email and set up a tech interivew over the phone. I was then called down for a full day inerview. They took me out to lunch to a nice restaurant.

They advertised for a particular skill but expected broad knowledge. The questioning was vigorous but polite. They asked me to solve puzzles and riddles. Similar to a microsoft interview.

According to wiki, they hire only 1 out of 100 those interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • GIven 9 balls all of which weigh the same except for one, what is the minimum of weighings necessary to find the ball weighs more (or less).   View Answers (26)

Quantitative Research Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2012.

phone interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2012.

In all the campus interviews that happened at our college, D E Shaw's process was the best and the fastest among all. It had 2 Technical rounds and a HR round. The technical rounds were of each 25 minutes but the interviewers were so active that they were bombarding us with questions. For me it was almost ~30 questions in 25 minutes. It was an awesome experience. The interviewers are highly active and you will have an awesome interview. The last round of HR has standard questions like

1. Why D E Shaw

2. Future Plans

3. Tell me about yourself

Software Developer Interview

Long and tedious hiring process. FIrst of all a written objective test of C and aptitude. Then coding round 2 questions in 1 hour. Average Level. Interview is the toughest part. Very high difficulty level at our college

Finance and Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

It was a campus drive. The recruitment process had 3 rounds.
    The first round was an aptitude test of total 40 questions which had Quant, logical reasoning and verbal questions(which were easy), there was negative marking also for wrong answers. After clearing it, we had Group discussions (focus mainly on current status of economy topics) and finally personal interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2013.

2 rounds

Interview Questions
    • String rotation problem......reducing its complexity to the best level
      and many other complexity related problems

Answer Question

Junior Proprietary Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2013.

Sent resume online and heard from HR the next day. Schedule phone interview on Friday and call arrived on time. The interviewee is nice and professional. Asked a few basic questions on the resume, and then quizzed me on the market. As I does not follow the market and know next to nothing about finance, i think my interview was pretty much over by that point. Then a brain teaser which is, in my opinion, poorly phrased and impossible to appear on a 1st round phone interview. By that point I am pretty devastated - this was my first phone interview and I did not give any right answer so far - so I made another mistake: When I was offered to ask some questions in the end, I said I have no questions to ask. End of story.

Interview Questions
    • There are 100 prisoners on an island. Starring from Day 1, a guard will play the following game with them. On the n th day, a random prisoner will be brought into a room, which contains a switch that is either on or off. After he left the room, the guard will then ask the prisoner if everybody has been to the room. He can answer either "Yes" or "I dun know". If he answered "yes" and he is correct, everyone is free' otherwise everyone dies. If he answered "I dun know", the game continues: a prisoner will be choosen at random on (n+1)-th day and so on.

Now these 100 prisoners are free to meet and discuss a strategy on the night of 0th day. Afterwards they will not be able to see anyone else at all. No other communcation is possible except the binary switch in the room.

Is there a sure-fire strategy to free all of them?

View Answers (3)

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2013.

I applied online after which inviting me for the telephonic round. I had two telephonic interviews with senior managers following which I was invited for one full day of interviews at the Hyderabad office. This was the most intensive stage, was interviewed by 5 different people, from the Associate director to the HR manager.
    Following this I had one more telephonic interview with a Sr Analyst from D.E. Shaw's New York Office.
    One week later, I received a request for academic and professional references and two weeks after that they informed me that they would be unable to make me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If the rate of $/Rs. was 50 in december and in march it is 45, has the dollar appreciated or depreciated and what does this mean for Indian exporters?   View Answers (2)

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in September 2009.

Get prepared for some whacky interesting question. I had to sit a test (programming and maths questions). Some weren't particular hard but many (especially at the end) were interesting

Interview Questions
    • Problem solving question. Maths related questions were the easiest for me (I have a PhD in finance). The hardest for me were programming questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in March 2009.

D.E. Shaw loves brain teasers. I interviewed there 11 years ago at the same time as interviewing for my current job. Shaw was taking a long time with the interview process until another company started interviewing me and then they sped up the process. I don't believe there was a phone interview, but the first interview took a couple hours with some nice devs who asked primarily brain teasers. This was followed up by a phone interview with the hiring manager who, despite my recruiter's assurances to the contrary, immediately asked me another brain teaser. While this question was much more interesting and more closely related to a real problem that Shaw might face, I was annoyed.

Interview Questions
    • One brain teaser that I encountered that came from Shaw was the five pirate problem. The five pirates are perfectly logical and need to divide up 100 pieces of gold with the following stipulations:

i) There is a pecking order for the pirates from 1-5.
      ii) The head pirate divies the gold as he sees fit but obviously wants to not be killed and to maximize his share.
      iii) After this the captain and the crew votes on whether or not they mutiny and kill the captain. A tie means no one mutinies.

View Answer