D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

3.4

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2014.

I was asked a bit about my research, and then the following 3 questions:

(1) Let A be an n by n matrix, with all off-diagonal entries equal to a, and all diagonal entries equal to 1. For which value of a, is this matrix positive definite?

(2) We start with a number n, and let S = 0. At the first step

What number do we end up with?

(3) Suppose we have a fair coin, and we toss it a million times. Let X be the number of heads; estimate the probability that X > 502,000.

Interview Questions
    • (4) You are given two Gaussian variables: X_1 and X_2 with means m_1, m_2 and variance v_1, v_2.

Suppose you know the sum X_1 + X_2 is equal to n. What is the expected value of X_2?
        View Answers (6)

Financial Analyst/Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I was Asked some questions about my research. I also introduced my interest I. Summer intern. They give me a probability question, but I give the wrong answer. In the end, they asked me if I have questions about their company. I asked what kind of job for an intern.

Interview Questions
    • The family has two chilDren. The person answered the phone is a boy, what is the prob the family has a girl?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in August 2014.

I gave my interview with Deshaw yesterday.Firstly there was an online test on Hackerrank consisting of 12 question related to data structures and C - output based questions of medium difficulty level.
    There were two programming question also:
    1)Standard stock-span problem.
    2)Fibonacci using matrix exponentiation.
    After that I had interview in which I was asked two questions:
    1)One from DBMS,natural joins of tables.
    2)Find number of semiprimes less than N.I gave N(N)^(1/2) solution using sieve.Then asked to optimize if primes were already given.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warangal (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warangal (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2014.

I applied through college.1.aptitude(quant+technical)
     2.tech interview 1 and 2.
    3.HR round.
    aptitude test consists of 3 sections:
    sec 1:General aptitude questions on time and work,probability,profit n loss etc.The section is given 20 questions to be answered in 20 minutes.
    sec 2:Technical Apti on c,c++,ds,os,java.This section is also given 20 questions to be answered in 20 minutes again.The time is sufficient ofcourse.
    sec3:One coding question is given on concept of minimal spanning tree.It was pretty easy for those who are a bit comfortable with graphs.

Technical Interview:
    All questions are from C,C++,DS,OS,JAVA..of normal difficulty.

Interview Questions
    • questions will be asked on the topics you put in your resume.C,C++,JAVA,OS and every single area of your resume will be asked.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trichy (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trichy (India)

One round of Apti and MCQ+ coding and then 2 tech PI's and 1 HR.. Questions asked were easy but some factual questions were asked. Not much of coding skills required to crack it. be thorough with OS, DBMS and Netwroks..

Interview Questions
    • Size of market of used diapers in India.   View Answer

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

First round is a 30 minute phone interview. 5 minutes behavioral, 20 resume overview, 5 minutes technical question. technical question was probability type question. Resume questions are straight forward but you need to know very well why your skill can drive value for them.

Trader Interview

I applied through their website and got a phone interview with one of their traders. Most of the questions were behavioral, except one brain teaser. He was nice, but I did not do well and got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of pieces of pizza consumed in the U.S. every day.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2013.

I appeared for the interview as a part of the campus recruitment process. The pre-placement presentation was not great. There was a written test consisting of Technical and Apti MCQs. I would rate the toughness of the questions a 7/10. They shortlisted about 20 people from which they eliminated another 10 on the basis of the resume. Out of the 10, 2 students requested not to be considered for selection as they were not impressed by the presentation.

Interview Questions
    • What Snapshot command does in Linux Kernel?(Hint: The command is executed in a file)   Answer Question
    • In Windows OS, if your system is hogged due to many processes running and each process is important (For Eg Applications like MS Word, Excel, NotePad are all open and cannot be closed), how will you bring the system back to normal functioning state?(No Suspend option in Task Manager)   Answer Question
    • If your laptop is dead, give step by step procedure to find out what exactly is the problem which has caused it?(Hardware, Software, Display Problem)   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Phone Interview. First ask general question about my current work. Why I want to move into finance world etc. They seem to show genuine interest in my current research. Afterwards was asked Statistical questions e.g. hypothesis testing. Followed by some general finance question. Took about 30 mins altogether. Pretty pleasant overall, although it is not easy to tell if you are doing well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very unexpected. Although the finance question is bit open-ended.   Answer Question

Member Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2013.

1 telephonic round : Mostly Technical around C/C++ , Networking ,OS .
    2 Rounds In house:
    Interview panel size - 2
    Mostly C++ , operating system , DBMS , networking basics.
    1 HR round : Mostly my likes , dislikes , why am I switching . etc. I think this was the round where I nailed it.
    A lot of background check followed

Interview Questions
    • How do you implement all OOP principles in C   View Answer
    I had to negotiate a bit (even though the initial offer was way better than my current salary) and succeeded.