D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.4

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderābād (India)) in April 2014.

Interview

first round was a telephonic round. questions were mostly about the current work, and related projects. what role do you want to be in? how did u know about the interview process? and about xt rounds were educational background. the next rounds were video conferencing rounds. they asked about everything from the engineering curriculum, around 3 puzzles..

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

submit my resume online and get contacted after a month. they scheduled me a phone interview, mainly asking me two questions, one is about programming and the other is about probability, get rejected the day after the phone interview. The programming question is how do you get the largest product of three numbers out of an array. The probability question is what's the probability that you randomly choose three points on a circle and these three points would be covered by a semi-circle.

Interview Questions

• The programming question is how do you get the largest product of three numbers out of an array. The probability question is what's the probability that you randomly choose three points on a circle and these three points would be covered by a semi-circle.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Applied online and heard back for a phone screen soon after. After phone interview, heard back within 2-3 days for onsite interviews. There were 5 of them, each about an hour long, including a lunch interview. All interviewers were mostly friendly and helpful, with one notable exception. Expect soft behavioral questions like why finance, and explaining your background.

Interview Questions

• Brush up on regression, and basic probability and statistics questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2015.

Interview

Very professional and quick. Seems like a great place to intern, but was not selected. Practice on brain teasers and logic questions. They want fast thinkers who are competent as problem solvers.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Timeline (~2 months):
    ----------------------------
    Applied in mid October. Phone interview was set-up two weeks later. On-site interview the week after. A lot of background check related activities for over a month. Offer given after all checks complete.

Phone interview:
    -----------------------
    - 45 minutes, single interview
    - probability/statistics and algorithms questions
    - very friendly, casual
    - invited to on-site immediately afterwards

On-site:
    ----------------------
    - 5 consecutive one-on-one hour long interviews with quant team (3 in morning, 2 after lunch)
    - 1 "off the record" lunch with another team member
    - extremely nice, brilliant people
    - a lot of questions about my research (be prepared to talk details!)
    - brainteasers (algorithms, black-scholes, arbitrage-free pricing, statistics, order-of-magnitude estimations)
    - time breakdown: 50% fit/research, 50% brainteasers

--------------------
    - at the end of on-site, asked to submit via e-mail: references (4 phone contacts), code samples (~500 lines of code that you're particularly proud of), writing samples (e.g. a scientific paper)
    - a TON of background checks in the month following
    - got weekly phone-call updates to let me know status of my application and also so I could fill out more forms for the background check (I was truly amazed at the dedication and care they took in keeping me informed, especially since the process took so long!)
    - they also asked me about details from other offers I had

Interview Questions

• Which is more: a) the number of stars in our galaxy, or b) the number of grains of sand that will fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

How do you estimate both (a) and (b) using reasonable assumptions that a normal lay-person could verify/agree-with?

1 Answer

Negotiation

Told hiring manager the numbers from some other hedge fund offers I had at the time. DE Shaw countered with an offer that was superior in all aspects (salary, bonus, benefits) -- didn't feel the need to negotiate since it was the best offer I received and significantly more than industry average.

Interview

Had 5 rounds of interviews
    Round 1:
    A written round with technical questions and a programming question, solving the programming problem is very important
    Round 2:
    Techinical interview, with some focus on projects mentioned in resume
    Round 3:
    Techinical interview
    Round 4: HR kind of , written round with questions on "Back-of-the-envelope" Calculations
    Round 5: HR interview

Interview Questions

• Technical round, an Adhoc question with unexpected twist   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I had a first round interview on the phone.
    Come from a non-US school in my penultimate year of study. Applied online and received a call for an interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• You know that I have 2 children and 1 boy among them at least. What is the probability that my other child is a girl?   1 Answer

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Applied through school career website, the process took about a week. I got the first round interview in school. The guy was very nice, he didn't mention anything about the interview in the first 5 mins.

Interview Questions

• what is 57*89?
      Pitch me a stock.
      If a company's P/E Ratio is 10 compare with the industry avg of 12, what do you think the reason is?

Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2014.

Interview

Phone interview. The interviewed asked about my research projects and a couple brainteasers about fair coin flips required to use law of large numbers and large deviation. The interviewer is very friendly, and seemed to be interested in my research. The brainteasers are standard probability questions.

Interview Questions

• Flip a fair coin 1000 times. What's the probability that the number of heads come up more than 550 times? What theorem would you use to describe probabilities of rare events as number of coin flips goes to infinity?   1 Answer

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

Interview

On-campus Hiring. I have an on-campus interview. The interviewer is a really nice guy. He just went through my resume, and ask some behavior questions. Nothing is special. Just prepare your stories and prepare for behavior questions. I believe the most important thing is whether your major matches the position you applied.