D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.4

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderābād (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview spans all aspects and they don't leave anything to ambiguity. The key to such interviews is strong basics and the questions are also on the basics. The interview can span upto 2 hours each at length and for a market hire, there can be 6 7 rounds. The interviews touch base on all aspects of economics, statistics, quants, accounting and finance and the panels are usually smart in gauging what is the weak spot of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is the one thing you would ask the interview panel which you think they wouldn't know?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Bangalore (India)).

Interview

The interview consisted of 2 rounds, an aptitude test and a technical round. The aptitude test was very difficult and had questions commonly asked during gmat exams, the technical round was worse.

Interview Questions

• The difference between cash and cash equivalent and working capital   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Patiala (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Patiala (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

First they shortlist the students based on their cg in campus recruitments. futher on a written test is conducted comprising of technical and aptitude questions. then three to five rounds are conducted for technical and HR interviews.

Manager Risk Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New Delhi (India)) in February 2014.

Interview

not very convincing, they need to work on face to face interview instead of paper writing, interviewer was full of himself not understanding the candidate, overall they should scrap the written exam process and focus of Gd and 1:1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coimbatore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Coimbatore (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

It was fun and challenging! The interviewers were really friendly to me! They had good dta structure questions which were really interesting! They always encouraged me to answer with an optimal solution . I asked them a lot of questions for which they answered very patiently! The entire interview process was very well organized !

Interview Questions

• Why de shaw ? What do u think about D E Shaw and Arcesium and so on.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderābād (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

The process comprised of one screening round on telephone before calling for onsite interaction. On-site interviews comprised of only one round. The panel was interested in knowing the fit on both sides and prior relevant work-experience. The interviewers were pretty chilled-out and the experience of an interview in DE Shaw's Hyderabad office was memorable.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

13 interviews over one week, beginning with a day of testing that included the type of logic problems you might find on the LSAT. I received calls and/or emails numerous times during the week requesting me to leave my job in the middle of the day to interview with so-and-so who could only see me at that time. Interviewed with a whole cast of characters, from people who performed the EA role at the firm to the heads of Investor Relations.

Interview Questions

• At my final interview (#13), one of the two heads of Investor Relations quickly introduced himself and then told me "I'd like you to estimate the number of gas stations in the United States."   1 Answer

Specialist Management Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderābād (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a detailed procedure with around 8 rounds. Out of the 8 rounds, 3 were telephonic, 1 was video conference, rest 4 were face to face. The interview process was very detailed but interesting. The interviewers made the interviewee very comfortable and ensured to extract the best out of them.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderābād (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied through Career Site. Got a Telephonic Interview. Asked Basic Questions covering DS,OS,DBMS and Networking. Questions were basic not too tough as i was a fresher. Was called for the in house interview too. Results awaited

Interview Questions

• 1. Normalization 2. Sychronization 3. Pre Paging 4. Inode in UNIX 5. Quick Sort 6. Three Way Handshake in TCP and many more   Answer Question

Performance Test Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderābād (India)) in May 2011.

Interview

They test in multiple facets - Java development, Performance Test Tools, Application design, Functional QA, Middleware, Databases and HR. I was also asked to solve puzzles. It was always one on one. HR phase happened over the lunch. Since i have claimed more expertise in databases, that round was more rigorous