D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Updated Dec 24, 2014
Updated Dec 24, 2014

3.4

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I got a phone interview about two weeks after the application deadline. This interview lasted about half an hour. The interviewer was nice and gave me a call on time. Most questions focused on my past experience. He also asked a few question about the international market. They wanted candidates with diverse background.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most difficult thing if you are U.S president?   Answer Question

Rotational Associate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I replied to a posting on the campus jobs board. The recruiter referred me to the Rotational Associates Position. The first round was a half-hour phone interview followed by three second-round interviews onsite. The people I spoke with were generally very smart with non-traditional backgrounds for finance. However, the process is very competitive and they seem to interview many people relative to the number of openings.

Interview Questions
    • I got the life insurance scenario mentioned by other candidates.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

First round phone Interview only. Very Prompt response on whether you advanced. The whole process took a few weeks. From the moment you submit your resume on the website, it took roughly 6-7 business days for them to contact you. Then you schedule a first round a few days out. Apparently the superday is suppose to be 4 hours and consists of many 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The brainteaser was a variation of the 100 coins and 5 pirates. There were 6 pirates instead. So the premise is that there are 6 pirates and you are the captain. You must divide the coins. If 50% of the people rebel against your allocation, they kill you and the process starts again. What is the optimal allocation?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Phone interview went well, but didn't get second round. The guy was very friendly, asked me about my research project -- he had a math PhD and so we talked a lot about some of the things that I'd worked on but he didn't seem to be very impressed. We then switched to doing some basic probability that I struggled with but eventually succeeded.

Interview Questions
    • Consider an infinite set of pairwise independent random variables which are uniformly distributed between 0 and 1. What's the expected number that you need to add to get a number that exceeds 1.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineering and Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2013.

I applied online and received an interview offer pretty early. They asked for a phone interview, and asked to have pencil and paper ready. There was no coding during the interview. First, we discussed my resume. The interviewer said he liked my resume. We then discussed one of the projects from my resume. I thought the interview was going really well. He then gave me two brain teasers to think about, and then we discussed my reasoning. The teasers are below.

Interview Questions
    • The first question he gave me was not hard.
      1. You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children is a boy. The answer happens to be yes again. What's the probability that the second child is a boy?

2. (Much harder)
      You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children's name a William. The answer happens to be yes again.(We assume William is a boy's name, and that it's possible that both children are Williams) What's the probability that the second child is a boy?

View Answers (6)

Quantitative Analyst/Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2013.

I had one phone interview, which had a few math/CS questions. I was then invited onsite, where there were 5 rounds of interviews, as well as an off-the-record lunch discussion. There were lots of probability and algorithmic questions. Knowledge of finance seemed to be a plus but not necessary. Everyone was very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questions was how would you color a 3-colorable graph. I was initially thinking that you had to do something efficient, which isn't possible, but he just wanted some way of doing it.   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Had a first round phone interview followed by an in-person interview at their New York office

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I had two phone interviews with DE Shaw, each lasting an hour. Neither of them was very technical at all. I expected to be asked brain teasers given that DE Shaw is known for brain teasers or at least a coding question, but instead I got a lot of behavioral questions or explaining the projects that I've done.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

one phone interview. Background and CV discussion. Then a probability question.

Interview Questions
    • a conditional probability question, but the problem statement had no information about the prior knowledge. Therefore, although the problem was very simple, it is unsolvable mathematically. Question: you test for cancer in a machine that has the following specification; if you have cancer then it may reports 95%+ve or 5%-ve. The next day you get the results that you are -ve, do you celebrate?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I first got a phone interview. Then very promptly I was given an opportunity to new york. They were very nice. There are 7~8 people interviewing me. They asked very hard questions. I guessed they didn't like me much since I didn't have a lunch break. But they are all very friendly.