D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.4

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

one phone interview. Background and CV discussion. Then a probability question.

Interview Questions
    • a conditional probability question, but the problem statement had no information about the prior knowledge. Therefore, although the problem was very simple, it is unsolvable mathematically. Question: you test for cancer in a machine that has the following specification; if you have cancer then it may reports 95%+ve or 5%-ve. The next day you get the results that you are -ve, do you celebrate?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I first got a phone interview. Then very promptly I was given an opportunity to new york. They were very nice. There are 7~8 people interviewing me. They asked very hard questions. I guessed they didn't like me much since I didn't have a lunch break. But they are all very friendly.

Software Intern Interview

Pretty straightforward, first asked me about the projects I'd worked on in the past and then followed up with a coding question. It seems like the people at the company are very smart, lots of PhDs in math/statistics/cs (including my interviewer who had a CS PhD).

Interview Questions
    • The coding problem was not hard but I was sleep deprived at the time so I wasn't thinking straight.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Applied directly through their website. Got an interview a week later. The interview is friendly, asked me questions related to my CV. He seemed particularly interested in one of the projects that I did before, and we discussed about it. Then he asked a few brain teaser questions. The interview lasted for 30 mins.

Interview Questions
    • You call randomly a family with two kids, and ask if there is a kid called Tom. The answer is yes. Then what is the probably that the family has two boys.   View Answers (4)

Junior Proprietary Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2013.

Sent resume online and heard from HR the next day. Schedule phone interview on Friday and call arrived on time. The interviewee is nice and professional. Asked a few basic questions on the resume, and then quizzed me on the market. As I does not follow the market and know next to nothing about finance, i think my interview was pretty much over by that point. Then a brain teaser which is, in my opinion, poorly phrased and impossible to appear on a 1st round phone interview. By that point I am pretty devastated - this was my first phone interview and I did not give any right answer so far - so I made another mistake: When I was offered to ask some questions in the end, I said I have no questions to ask. End of story.

Interview Questions
    • There are 100 prisoners on an island. Starring from Day 1, a guard will play the following game with them. On the n th day, a random prisoner will be brought into a room, which contains a switch that is either on or off. After he left the room, the guard will then ask the prisoner if everybody has been to the room. He can answer either "Yes" or "I dun know". If he answered "yes" and he is correct, everyone is free' otherwise everyone dies. If he answered "I dun know", the game continues: a prisoner will be choosen at random on (n+1)-th day and so on.

Now these 100 prisoners are free to meet and discuss a strategy on the night of 0th day. Afterwards they will not be able to see anyone else at all. No other communcation is possible except the binary switch in the room.

Is there a sure-fire strategy to free all of them?

View Answers (3)

Quantitative Research Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2012.

phone interview

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2012.

Got the interview through campus recruiting. Mainly focused on my resume but two parts that stood out included correcting a profit and loss spreadsheet that had a few visual and technical mistakes as well as the interviewer asked me to "teach him something he probably did not know about."

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in March 2012.

Hey asked me to discuss how i would design a portfolio of repurchased life insurances. It was truly disgusting because I had to view the death of an individual as a positive thing. Essentially, to develop a well-balanced portfolio we needed to have ensure that there were people dying all of the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2012.

Initial phone interview, then four hour-long onsite interviews, and finally had to submit four references and code and writing samples. Mostly technical focus - algorithms, brain teasers, math, etc. - with a few fit questions thrown in. Everyone seemed very intelligent, and indeed they were; many analysts have a Ph.D. in some technical field (Math, Physics, EE, Econ, etc.).

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2012.

I applied online. Got a phone interview. Followed it up with an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • If 3 of my friends have phone numbers ending (last four digits) in some permutation of 0,1,4, and 9 and I have 150 friends, then is that just a chance occurance?   View Answers (5)