D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hey asked me to discuss how i would design a portfolio of repurchased life insurances. It was truly disgusting because I had to view the death of an individual as a positive thing. Essentially, to develop a well-balanced portfolio we needed to have ensure that there were people dying all of the time.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself   View Answer

Finance and Operations Intern Interview

Finance and Operations Intern
New York, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2011.

Interview Details – A representative came to my college campus and interviewed me - standard fit interview in which we reviewed my education and experience. I was invited to the NY office for a full day of interviews in what would be the final round. However, they had an incorrect copy of my resume and did not even notice until after 2 out of the 4 interviews. The final day experience was not a positive one.

Interview Question – Under several different circumstances, where on a beach would you set up your widget shop, assuming there is only one other shop on the beach. Potential situations: your competition is set up directly in the center, You must choose your location first, etc...   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. Got a phone interview. Followed it up with an onsite interview.

Interview Question – If 3 of my friends have phone numbers ending (last four digits) in some permutation of 0,1,4, and 9 and I have 150 friends, then is that just a chance occurance?   View Answers (4)

Rotational Associate Interview

Rotational Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2011.

Interview Details – Talked about a case involving buying life insurance plans back from people

Interview Question – How would you go about buying back life insurance plans from people for profit?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2011.

Interview Details – First-round on-campus interview: Mainly I was asked how I would approach a couple algorithmic problems that the interviewer described as simplifications of stuff he works on. We discussed the solutions at a pretty high level and I didn't have to write much code. The problems were interesting but not killer, involving dynamic programming and some combinatorial and probability calculations, and happened to draw on my strengths. Got an invitation to NYC the same day.

On-site interview day: They put me in a nice hotel a block from their office. I had a long 10am-5pm of ~1hr 1:1 interviews, with a laid-back 1:1 lunch at a restaurant midday. The interviewers included both programmers and quants, with corresponding questioning styles. I was posed challenging questions on software engineering, algorithms, statistics, and quantitative reasoning. No fit/behavioral questions beyond the introductory chit-chat. The people were all really smart, and personalities ranged between pleasant/relaxed and nerdy/quirky (nothing adversarial).

I left feeling it went OK, but I did need a lot of help on some of the problems. Got a rejection email 1 week later.

Interview Question – Three of my 150 friends have phone numbers ending in a permutation of the digits 0, 1, 4, and 9. Is this surprising?   View Answers (3)

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2011.

Interview Details – Acquired the interview through campus recruiting. Submitted my resume online and was selected for an on -campus first round interview. This was a one-on-one interview with a junior level associate. First half of the interview was strictly behavioral followed by technical finance questions and a few brainteasers.

Interview Questions

Trader Interview

Trader
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2010.

Interview Details – Connected with company through campus recruiting. Interviewed on campus. Was very unimpressed with interviewer. Interview questions were very qualitative. Expected more quantitative testing. Did not enjoy process. Did not pursue position further.

Interview Question – Talk about the current state of the real estate market in China.   View Answer

Family Office Interview

Family Office
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for a position in the family office of a Shaw family member at their NYC office. After signing an NDA I was brought to another floor and interviewed by two very professional individuals that already worked for the family office. The questions ranged from very general to very specific, but were comprised mostly of topics concerning my professional background and lifestyle. Overall, the entire office was very polite and professional and I left with a feeling that working with them would be very pleasant.

Interview Question – How would you handle this situation _____?   View Answers (2)

Summer Operations Position Interview

Summer Operations Position
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call from a nice lady that works in the back office. It was basically just a resume walk-through, nothing too intense at all. All behavioral.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in ops?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty standard prop trading/software development interview, although D.E. Shaw focuses on Java over C/C++ more than you might expect. Interview included a fun brain-teaser exercise about lights. A relatively good grasp of the standard material won't cut it - be ready to talk about your accomplishments and pack as much impressive material as possible into your 45 minute phone screen.

Interview Question – You are in a room with 100 lights, initially all off. If you first toggle every light, then every second, and so forth up to 100, which lights will be on at the end?   View Answers (7)

Interviews for Top Jobs at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm