D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.4

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Had a first round phone interview followed by an in-person interview at their New York office

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with DE Shaw, each lasting an hour. Neither of them was very technical at all. I expected to be asked brain teasers given that DE Shaw is known for brain teasers or at least a coding question, but instead I got a lot of behavioral questions or explaining the projects that I've done.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

one phone interview. Background and CV discussion. Then a probability question.

Interview Questions

• a conditional probability question, but the problem statement had no information about the prior knowledge. Therefore, although the problem was very simple, it is unsolvable mathematically. Question: you test for cancer in a machine that has the following specification; if you have cancer then it may reports 95%+ve or 5%-ve. The next day you get the results that you are -ve, do you celebrate?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I first got a phone interview. Then very promptly I was given an opportunity to new york. They were very nice. There are 7~8 people interviewing me. They asked very hard questions. I guessed they didn't like me much since I didn't have a lunch break. But they are all very friendly.

Software Intern Interview

Interview

Pretty straightforward, first asked me about the projects I'd worked on in the past and then followed up with a coding question. It seems like the people at the company are very smart, lots of PhDs in math/statistics/cs (including my interviewer who had a CS PhD).

Interview Questions

• The coding problem was not hard but I was sleep deprived at the time so I wasn't thinking straight.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Applied directly through their website. Got an interview a week later. The interview is friendly, asked me questions related to my CV. He seemed particularly interested in one of the projects that I did before, and we discussed about it. Then he asked a few brain teaser questions. The interview lasted for 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• You call randomly a family with two kids, and ask if there is a kid called Tom. The answer is yes. Then what is the probably that the family has two boys.   4 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2013.

Interview

Sent resume online and heard from HR the next day. Schedule phone interview on Friday and call arrived on time. The interviewee is nice and professional. Asked a few basic questions on the resume, and then quizzed me on the market. As I does not follow the market and know next to nothing about finance, i think my interview was pretty much over by that point. Then a brain teaser which is, in my opinion, poorly phrased and impossible to appear on a 1st round phone interview. By that point I am pretty devastated - this was my first phone interview and I did not give any right answer so far - so I made another mistake: When I was offered to ask some questions in the end, I said I have no questions to ask. End of story.

Interview Questions

• There are 100 prisoners on an island. Starring from Day 1, a guard will play the following game with them. On the n th day, a random prisoner will be brought into a room, which contains a switch that is either on or off. After he left the room, the guard will then ask the prisoner if everybody has been to the room. He can answer either "Yes" or "I dun know". If he answered "yes" and he is correct, everyone is free' otherwise everyone dies. If he answered "I dun know", the game continues: a prisoner will be choosen at random on (n+1)-th day and so on. Now these 100 prisoners are free to meet and discuss a strategy on the night of 0th day. Afterwards they will not be able to see anyone else at all. No other communcation is possible except the binary switch in the room. Is there a sure-fire strategy to free all of them?   3 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2012.

Interview

phone interview

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (State College, PA) in November 2012.

Interview

Got the interview through campus recruiting. Mainly focused on my resume but two parts that stood out included correcting a profit and loss spreadsheet that had a few visual and technical mistakes as well as the interviewer asked me to "teach him something he probably did not know about."

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Hey asked me to discuss how i would design a portfolio of repurchased life insurances. It was truly disgusting because I had to view the death of an individual as a positive thing. Essentially, to develop a well-balanced portfolio we needed to have ensure that there were people dying all of the time.