D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.4

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online. Got a phone interview. Followed it up with an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• If 3 of my friends have phone numbers ending (last four digits) in some permutation of 0,1,4, and 9 and I have 150 friends, then is that just a chance occurance?   5 Answers

Rotational Associate Program Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Mainly behavioral questions and questions discussing past accomplishments and issues tangential to items on CV. Also discussed possible investment ideas, other job offers, and did an investment case study of sorts.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process is fine. Technical questions. The process is not so friendly, and they don't even provide lunch.

Finance and Operations Intern Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

A representative came to my college campus and interviewed me - standard fit interview in which we reviewed my education and experience. I was invited to the NY office for a full day of interviews in what would be the final round. However, they had an incorrect copy of my resume and did not even notice until after 2 out of the 4 interviews. The final day experience was not a positive one.

Interview Questions

• Under several different circumstances, where on a beach would you set up your widget shop, assuming there is only one other shop on the beach. Potential situations: your competition is set up directly in the center, You must choose your location first, etc...   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

First-round on-campus interview: Mainly I was asked how I would approach a couple algorithmic problems that the interviewer described as simplifications of stuff he works on. We discussed the solutions at a pretty high level and I didn't have to write much code. The problems were interesting but not killer, involving dynamic programming and some combinatorial and probability calculations, and happened to draw on my strengths. Got an invitation to NYC the same day.

On-site interview day: They put me in a nice hotel a block from their office. I had a long 10am-5pm of ~1hr 1:1 interviews, with a laid-back 1:1 lunch at a restaurant midday. The interviewers included both programmers and quants, with corresponding questioning styles. I was posed challenging questions on software engineering, algorithms, statistics, and quantitative reasoning. No fit/behavioral questions beyond the introductory chit-chat. The people were all really smart, and personalities ranged between pleasant/relaxed and nerdy/quirky (nothing adversarial).

I left feeling it went OK, but I did need a lot of help on some of the problems. Got a rejection email 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• Three of my 150 friends have phone numbers ending in a permutation of the digits 0, 1, 4, and 9. Is this surprising?   4 Answers

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Acquired the interview through campus recruiting. Submitted my resume online and was selected for an on -campus first round interview. This was a one-on-one interview with a junior level associate. First half of the interview was strictly behavioral followed by technical finance questions and a few brainteasers.

Rotational Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Talked about a case involving buying life insurance plans back from people

Interview Questions

• How would you go about buying back life insurance plans from people for profit?   Answer Question

Summer Operations Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

Got a call from a nice lady that works in the back office. It was basically just a resume walk-through, nothing too intense at all. All behavioral.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Pretty standard prop trading/software development interview, although D.E. Shaw focuses on Java over C/C++ more than you might expect. Interview included a fun brain-teaser exercise about lights. A relatively good grasp of the standard material won't cut it - be ready to talk about your accomplishments and pack as much impressive material as possible into your 45 minute phone screen.

Interview Questions

• You are in a room with 100 lights, initially all off. If you first toggle every light, then every second, and so forth up to 100, which lights will be on at the end?   8 Answers

Family Office Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed for a position in the family office of a Shaw family member at their NYC office. After signing an NDA I was brought to another floor and interviewed by two very professional individuals that already worked for the family office. The questions ranged from very general to very specific, but were comprised mostly of topics concerning my professional background and lifestyle. Overall, the entire office was very polite and professional and I left with a feeling that working with them would be very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle this situation _____?   2 Answers