D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Updated Nov 28, 2014

3.4

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2009.

got an email from school visit to the firm for a phone interview, had a good conversation for the phone interview and was flown in for a day of 1-1 interviews. liked the people and culture, also the opportunity presented by the position

Generalist Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in June 2009.

Talked to a random guy doing systems administration, which had nothing to do with my background.

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in June 2009.

2 phone interviews. no offer.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in April 2009.

I had an opportunity to apply for an engineering position through a recruiter. After a brief phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview at their NYC office. I was interviewed by about 6~7 people, mostly would-be colleagues and managers. They asked questions on my skills with a series of programming questions. They also asked questions on my background equally as well. The interview was interactive and well-organized overall. They returned to me with their decision in about two weeks. While I did not receive an offer from them, my experience with their recruiting process was very positive.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program that efficiently monitors and processes a high volume of events about the system status generated by various components of a large-scale system.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in March 2009.

D.E. Shaw loves brain teasers. I interviewed there 11 years ago at the same time as interviewing for my current job. Shaw was taking a long time with the interview process until another company started interviewing me and then they sped up the process. I don't believe there was a phone interview, but the first interview took a couple hours with some nice devs who asked primarily brain teasers. This was followed up by a phone interview with the hiring manager who, despite my recruiter's assurances to the contrary, immediately asked me another brain teaser. While this question was much more interesting and more closely related to a real problem that Shaw might face, I was annoyed.

Interview Questions
    • One brain teaser that I encountered that came from Shaw was the five pirate problem. The five pirates are perfectly logical and need to divide up 100 pieces of gold with the following stipulations:

i) There is a pecking order for the pirates from 1-5.
      ii) The head pirate divies the gold as he sees fit but obviously wants to not be killed and to maximize his share.
      iii) After this the captain and the crew votes on whether or not they mutiny and kill the captain. A tie means no one mutinies.

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in August 2008.

Applied over the web. They responded by email and set up a tech interivew over the phone. I was then called down for a full day inerview. They took me out to lunch to a nice restaurant.

They advertised for a particular skill but expected broad knowledge. The questioning was vigorous but polite. They asked me to solve puzzles and riddles. Similar to a microsoft interview.

According to wiki, they hire only 1 out of 100 those interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • GIven 9 balls all of which weigh the same except for one, what is the minimum of weighings necessary to find the ball weighs more (or less).   View Answers (26)

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2008.

After a pre-screening with the employment agency; having to fill out an information sheet for D.E. Shaw, I was then notified by the agency that a phone interview would be conducted. My preferred contact number was given with e-mailed instructions of time of our call and that the interview should last no more than 30 minutes. After our phone interview, the agency phoned me back a week later to tell me that it went well, and they would like for me to interview in person at their offices. Since there were several departments seeking an Executive Assistant, my interviews would be 4 back-to-back meetings in 30 minute increments with various employees. That was considered the 2nd day. I was then asked to come back for what would be Round 3 interviews, but based on my initial visit, one of the departments wanted to move forward and make me an offer. I was extremely relieved at this point. HR was in contact with me through the agency of course, and the Background Check began. I had to obtain official copies of my transcript, as well as providing them with previous employers to conduct reference check and date of employment verification. This took about another 2 weeks before an offer was even made.

Interview Questions
    • The position I applied for was to support professionals who did not have an assistant, so the toughest question for me was how I would achieve the optimal working relationship so that I could get work from my principals.   View Answer
    I knew going into the position what the salary ranged from and it was well above what I was making at the time. At the time when the offer was made, I was offered $10,000 above my base salary, a hiring bonus of $10,000 to spread out over 3 years if I continue to work at the firm, and a guaranteed year-end bonus of $15,000 with excellent benefits to top it off.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2008.

This is a well known hedge fund in NYC. It has done OK in the sub-prime crisis. I applied to it
    via a recruiter who told me that this firm is insanely selective and hires 1 person for every 900 resumes
    it receives. Anyways, I got an email asking me to fill out an online survey form and a few days later
    I got an email saying that they weren't interested.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in August 2014.

I gave my interview with Deshaw yesterday.Firstly there was an online test on Hackerrank consisting of 12 question related to data structures and C - output based questions of medium difficulty level.
    There were two programming question also:
    1)Standard stock-span problem.
    2)Fibonacci using matrix exponentiation.
    After that I had interview in which I was asked two questions:
    1)One from DBMS,natural joins of tables.
    2)Find number of semiprimes less than N.I gave N(N)^(1/2) solution using sieve.Then asked to optimize if primes were already given.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trichy (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trichy (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2014.

One round of Apti and MCQ+ coding and then 2 tech PI's and 1 HR.. Questions asked were easy but some factual questions were asked. Not much of coding skills required to crack it. be thorough with OS, DBMS and Netwroks..

Interview Questions
    • Size of market of used diapers in India.   View Answer