D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

3.4

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2008.

This is a well known hedge fund in NYC. It has done OK in the sub-prime crisis. I applied to it
    via a recruiter who told me that this firm is insanely selective and hires 1 person for every 900 resumes
    it receives. Anyways, I got an email asking me to fill out an online survey form and a few days later
    I got an email saying that they weren't interested.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in August 2014.

I gave my interview with Deshaw yesterday.Firstly there was an online test on Hackerrank consisting of 12 question related to data structures and C - output based questions of medium difficulty level.
    There were two programming question also:
    1)Standard stock-span problem.
    2)Fibonacci using matrix exponentiation.
    After that I had interview in which I was asked two questions:
    1)One from DBMS,natural joins of tables.
    2)Find number of semiprimes less than N.I gave N(N)^(1/2) solution using sieve.Then asked to optimize if primes were already given.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Trichy (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trichy (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2014.

One round of Apti and MCQ+ coding and then 2 tech PI's and 1 HR.. Questions asked were easy but some factual questions were asked. Not much of coding skills required to crack it. be thorough with OS, DBMS and Netwroks..

Interview Questions
    • Size of market of used diapers in India.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warangal (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warangal (India)

I applied through college.1.aptitude(quant+technical)
     2.tech interview 1 and 2.
    3.HR round.
    aptitude test consists of 3 sections:
    sec 1:General aptitude questions on time and work,probability,profit n loss etc.The section is given 20 questions to be answered in 20 minutes.
    sec 2:Technical Apti on c,c++,ds,os,java.This section is also given 20 questions to be answered in 20 minutes again.The time is sufficient ofcourse.
    sec3:One coding question is given on concept of minimal spanning tree.It was pretty easy for those who are a bit comfortable with graphs.

Technical Interview:
    All questions are from C,C++,DS,OS,JAVA..of normal difficulty.

Interview Questions
    • questions will be asked on the topics you put in your resume.C,C++,JAVA,OS and every single area of your resume will be asked.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Phone Interview. First ask general question about my current work. Why I want to move into finance world etc. They seem to show genuine interest in my current research. Afterwards was asked Statistical questions e.g. hypothesis testing. Followed by some general finance question. Took about 30 mins altogether. Pretty pleasant overall, although it is not easy to tell if you are doing well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very unexpected. Although the finance question is bit open-ended.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

The interview process involved 8 interviews, each of which were thirty to forty minutes in length. These were conducted over a two day period. In addition, I was once interviewed over the phone and one of my references was called. I found my interviewers to be courteous, fair, smart and generally enjoyable to speak with.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few "brain-teaser"type of questions. These were the most difficult.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Member Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2013.

1 telephonic round : Mostly Technical around C/C++ , Networking ,OS .
    2 Rounds In house:
    Interview panel size - 2
    Mostly C++ , operating system , DBMS , networking basics.
    1 HR round : Mostly my likes , dislikes , why am I switching . etc. I think this was the round where I nailed it.
    A lot of background check followed

Interview Questions
    • How do you implement all OOP principles in C   View Answer
    I had to negotiate a bit (even though the initial offer was way better than my current salary) and succeeded.

Senior MEMBER TECHNICAL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Got a call from recuriting team and had a telephonic screening round which was purely technical focused on current and past job roles and basic technology questions. This was followed by a day long in-house interview at D.E.Shaw office comprising 1HR, 1 Manager and 7 technical round , including a video-conferencing round. Technical rounds involved questions related to basics concepts to highly complex real-world scenario's. HR round was a friendly discussion regarding career goals, behaviour, achievements etc. Overall the interview process was very good and organsied and reflected the company's work culture and current employee's technical knowledge and possibilties for career growth.

Interview Questions
    • Few puzzels/brain teasers involving knowledge of physics, mathematics and common sense!   Answer Question
    Tried but they didn't bother.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coimbatore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coimbatore (India)

interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2013.

There are 2 rounds- written and interview,, written round had 3 sections each of 20 mins.. section 1 had 20 aptitude questions.. the questions were time consuming.. section 2 was the software section consisting of 20 questions.. questions were from c, c++, java.. section 3 was software design round.. the question was to write a code in any programming language to compute 'a to the power of n' in O(log n) complexity.. sections 1 and 2 had negative marking..

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2013.

I appeared for the interview as a part of the campus recruitment process. The pre-placement presentation was not great. There was a written test consisting of Technical and Apti MCQs. I would rate the toughness of the questions a 7/10. They shortlisted about 20 people from which they eliminated another 10 on the basis of the resume. Out of the 10, 2 students requested not to be considered for selection as they were not impressed by the presentation.

Interview Questions
    • What Snapshot command does in Linux Kernel?(Hint: The command is executed in a file)   Answer Question
    • In Windows OS, if your system is hogged due to many processes running and each process is important (For Eg Applications like MS Word, Excel, NotePad are all open and cannot be closed), how will you bring the system back to normal functioning state?(No Suspend option in Task Manager)   Answer Question
    • If your laptop is dead, give step by step procedure to find out what exactly is the problem which has caused it?(Hardware, Software, Display Problem)   Answer Question