D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.4

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Pretty standard prop trading/software development interview, although D.E. Shaw focuses on Java over C/C++ more than you might expect. Interview included a fun brain-teaser exercise about lights. A relatively good grasp of the standard material won't cut it - be ready to talk about your accomplishments and pack as much impressive material as possible into your 45 minute phone screen.

Interview Questions

• You are in a room with 100 lights, initially all off. If you first toggle every light, then every second, and so forth up to 100, which lights will be on at the end?   9 Answers

Family Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed for a position in the family office of a Shaw family member at their NYC office. After signing an NDA I was brought to another floor and interviewed by two very professional individuals that already worked for the family office. The questions ranged from very general to very specific, but were comprised mostly of topics concerning my professional background and lifestyle. Overall, the entire office was very polite and professional and I left with a feeling that working with them would be very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle this situation _____?   2 Answers

FinOp Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview about three weeks later. My interviewer was a member of the FinOp division. she made it clear that they were only interested in people with accounting experiences. since I'm an econ major, i was confused why they would even spend the time interviewing me. interview questions were completely behavioral ones such as "go through your resume", "why d.e.shaw" etc.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

Got 1st round interview at school. The interviewer is very nice and start by a short introduction about DE Shaw and what he does there. Then he asked a simple coding + algorithmic question: implementing a merge iterator in C++. When I finished the coding, he asked a few question about the complexity of the algorithm, how to improve it (using priority queue). Got invitation for the on-site interview in that evening. Before going, i need to submit a sample code (you can choose any code you wrote, ~300 lines) for them to review. Went to NY for the second round (the hotel and restaurant was really nice). Got 3 technical interviews in the morning which went quite well. Then they decide to schedule another technical interview with a senior VP in the afternoon. He also asked me a few technical questions which are very interesting. E.g, - given a method foo(int a[4]). Write code to call foo with a = [0,0,0,0], [0,0,0,1],[0,0,0,2],[0,0,1,0],....,[2,2,2,2]. - Given 2 classes of shapes (Rectangle, Circle) that inherits Shape and 2 classes of printers (BW, Color), that inherits Printer. Also given 4 methods: --- PrintRecBW(Rectangle s,BW p) --- PrintRecCol(Rectangle s,Col p) --- PrintCirBW(Circle s,BW p) --- PrintCirCol(Circle s,Col p) write a method to Print(Shape s, Printer p) to print out (s,p) using 4 methods above WITHOUT using "if". You are allowed to implement addition methods in given classes. I also did pretty well in this one. Finally, they schedule an interview with the manager of the team. He asked me a few general questions about my research and my working experience. Then he asked a few technical question which were very obscure, there are no right or wrong answers, e.g --- Do we need class Integer in Java? Why? I thought I did ok in this interview (except the Integer question).

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

only brainteaser asked was what is the expected value of a dice roll? Answer is 3.5. otherwise pretty standard walk me through your resume type questions and some brief questions about the firm's culture. Good to read up on that if you can, they are very proud of how chilled out they are.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a dice roll?   1 Answer

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Connected with company through campus recruiting. Interviewed on campus. Was very unimpressed with interviewer. Interview questions were very qualitative. Expected more quantitative testing. Did not enjoy process. Did not pursue position further.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the current state of the real estate market in China.   1 Answer

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

got an email from school visit to the firm for a phone interview, had a good conversation for the phone interview and was flown in for a day of 1-1 interviews. liked the people and culture, also the opportunity presented by the position

Generalist Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in June 2009.

Interview

Talked to a random guy doing systems administration, which had nothing to do with my background.

Quant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in June 2009.

Interview

2 phone interviews. no offer.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

I had an opportunity to apply for an engineering position through a recruiter. After a brief phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview at their NYC office. I was interviewed by about 6~7 people, mostly would-be colleagues and managers. They asked questions on my skills with a series of programming questions. They also asked questions on my background equally as well. The interview was interactive and well-organized overall. They returned to me with their decision in about two weeks. While I did not receive an offer from them, my experience with their recruiting process was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that efficiently monitors and processes a high volume of events about the system status generated by various components of a large-scale system.   Answer Question