D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

www.deshaw.com
  www.deshaw.com

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Junior Proprietary Trading Intern Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Junior Proprietary Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2013.

Sent resume online and heard from HR the next day. Schedule phone interview on Friday and call arrived on time. The interviewee is nice and professional. Asked a few basic questions on the resume, and then quizzed me on the market. As I does not follow the market and know next to nothing about finance, i think my interview was pretty much over by that point. Then a brain teaser which is, in my opinion, poorly phrased and impossible to appear on a 1st round phone interview. By that point I am pretty devastated - this was my first phone interview and I did not give any right answer so far - so I made another mistake: When I was offered to ask some questions in the end, I said I have no questions to ask. End of story.

Interview Questions
  • There are 100 prisoners on an island. Starring from Day 1, a guard will play the following game with them. On the n th day, a random prisoner will be brought into a room, which contains a switch that is either on or off. After he left the room, the guard will then ask the prisoner if everybody has been to the room. He can answer either "Yes" or "I dun know". If he answered "yes" and he is correct, everyone is free' otherwise everyone dies. If he answered "I dun know", the game continues: a prisoner will be choosen at random on (n+1)-th day and so on.

Now these 100 prisoners are free to meet and discuss a strategy on the night of 0th day. Afterwards they will not be able to see anyone else at all. No other communcation is possible except the binary switch in the room.

Is there a sure-fire strategy to free all of them?
      View Answers (3)