D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Quant Interview Questions

3.5

Quant Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in June 2009.

Interview

2 phone interviews. no offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Quant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2008.

Interview

it was actually my first phone interview EVER, so I was quite worried. the guy asked me three questions:

first something easy on options. I didn't answer since had zero experience at that time.

second was something easy on probability, involving Bayesian formula. I was too freaked at the time because of the first question. got a bit confused and didn't solve all of the parts (after I put down the phone, it was a 5 minute question, actually)

third question was "how to make a fair coin out of a biased one". that's a very famous question which unfortunately I didn't know at that time. I tried coming up with something but with a questionable success. the guy didn't give me any hints at all, and so the interviewed was finished.

that was a quick and obvious rejection, no questions asked.

the interesting information is that one year later they don't even give me an opportunity to interview again -- now I'm in the system, and they rejected me immediately. the moral is -- if you're really interested in them, be sure you are ready before you interview. one lousy bad morning, and you get "stupid" on your tab.

Interview Questions

• build a fair coin from a biased one   1 Answer