D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2014

3.1

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

First round phone Interview only. Very Prompt response on whether you advanced. The whole process took a few weeks. From the moment you submit your resume on the website, it took roughly 6-7 business days for them to contact you. Then you schedule a first round a few days out. Apparently the superday is suppose to be 4 hours and consists of many 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions
  • The brainteaser was a variation of the 100 coins and 5 pirates. There were 6 pirates instead. So the premise is that there are 6 pirates and you are the captain. You must divide the coins. If 50% of the people rebel against your allocation, they kill you and the process starts again. What is the optimal allocation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Phone interview went well, but didn't get second round. The guy was very friendly, asked me about my research project -- he had a math PhD and so we talked a lot about some of the things that I'd worked on but he didn't seem to be very impressed. We then switched to doing some basic probability that I struggled with but eventually succeeded.

Interview Questions
    • Consider an infinite set of pairwise independent random variables which are uniformly distributed between 0 and 1. What's the expected number that you need to add to get a number that exceeds 1.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

one phone interview. Background and CV discussion. Then a probability question.

Interview Questions
    • a conditional probability question, but the problem statement had no information about the prior knowledge. Therefore, although the problem was very simple, it is unsolvable mathematically. Question: you test for cancer in a machine that has the following specification; if you have cancer then it may reports 95%+ve or 5%-ve. The next day you get the results that you are -ve, do you celebrate?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

I first got a phone interview. Then very promptly I was given an opportunity to new york. They were very nice. There are 7~8 people interviewing me. They asked very hard questions. I guessed they didn't like me much since I didn't have a lunch break. But they are all very friendly.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Applied directly through their website. Got an interview a week later. The interview is friendly, asked me questions related to my CV. He seemed particularly interested in one of the projects that I did before, and we discussed about it. Then he asked a few brain teaser questions. The interview lasted for 30 mins.

Interview Questions
    • You call randomly a family with two kids, and ask if there is a kid called Tom. The answer is yes. Then what is the probably that the family has two boys.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2012.

Initial phone interview, then four hour-long onsite interviews, and finally had to submit four references and code and writing samples. Mostly technical focus - algorithms, brain teasers, math, etc. - with a few fit questions thrown in. Everyone seemed very intelligent, and indeed they were; many analysts have a Ph.D. in some technical field (Math, Physics, EE, Econ, etc.).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in February 2012.

I applied online. Got a phone interview. Followed it up with an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • If 3 of my friends have phone numbers ending (last four digits) in some permutation of 0,1,4, and 9 and I have 150 friends, then is that just a chance occurance?   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2008.

This is a well known hedge fund in NYC. It has done OK in the sub-prime crisis. I applied to it
    via a recruiter who told me that this firm is insanely selective and hires 1 person for every 900 resumes
    it receives. Anyways, I got an email asking me to fill out an online survey form and a few days later
    I got an email saying that they weren't interested.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Phone Interview. First ask general question about my current work. Why I want to move into finance world etc. They seem to show genuine interest in my current research. Afterwards was asked Statistical questions e.g. hypothesis testing. Followed by some general finance question. Took about 30 mins altogether. Pretty pleasant overall, although it is not easy to tell if you are doing well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very unexpected. Although the finance question is bit open-ended.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2009.

All technical questions. Asked questions ranging from simple combinatorial problems to difficult probability / random variables problems.

Interview Questions
    • There are 10 open boxes containing 100 coins each. In 9 of these boxes the coins are made of gold, and in the other the coins are made of copper. You are given a large digital balance which can be used once only. Can you identify the box containing copper coins knowing the weight of both gold and copper coins?   View Answer

Worked for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm? Contribute to the Community!