D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P.

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P..

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews with DE Shaw, each lasting an hour. Neither of them was very technical at all. I expected to be asked brain teasers given that DE Shaw is known for brain teasers or at least a coding question, but instead I got a lot of behavioral questions or explaining the projects that I've done.

Interview Question – What's the hardest bug that you've ever encountered?   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is fine. Technical questions. The process is not so friendly, and they don't even provide lunch.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in March 2009.

Interview Details – D.E. Shaw loves brain teasers. I interviewed there 11 years ago at the same time as interviewing for my current job. Shaw was taking a long time with the interview process until another company started interviewing me and then they sped up the process. I don't believe there was a phone interview, but the first interview took a couple hours with some nice devs who asked primarily brain teasers. This was followed up by a phone interview with the hiring manager who, despite my recruiter's assurances to the contrary, immediately asked me another brain teaser. While this question was much more interesting and more closely related to a real problem that Shaw might face, I was annoyed.

Interview Question – One brain teaser that I encountered that came from Shaw was the five pirate problem. The five pirates are perfectly logical and need to divide up 100 pieces of gold with the following stipulations:

i) There is a pecking order for the pirates from 1-5.
ii) The head pirate divies the gold as he sees fit but obviously wants to not be killed and to maximize his share.
iii) After this the captain and the crew votes on whether or not they mutiny and kill the captain. A tie means no one mutinies.
  View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – First-round on-campus interview: Mainly I was asked how I would approach a couple algorithmic problems that the interviewer described as simplifications of stuff he works on. We discussed the solutions at a pretty high level and I didn't have to write much code. The problems were interesting but not killer, involving dynamic programming and some combinatorial and probability calculations, and happened to draw on my strengths. Got an invitation to NYC the same day.

On-site interview day: They put me in a nice hotel a block from their office. I had a long 10am-5pm of ~1hr 1:1 interviews, with a laid-back 1:1 lunch at a restaurant midday. The interviewers included both programmers and quants, with corresponding questioning styles. I was posed challenging questions on software engineering, algorithms, statistics, and quantitative reasoning. No fit/behavioral questions beyond the introductory chit-chat. The people were all really smart, and personalities ranged between pleasant/relaxed and nerdy/quirky (nothing adversarial).

I left feeling it went OK, but I did need a lot of help on some of the problems. Got a rejection email 1 week later.

Interview Question – Three of my 150 friends have phone numbers ending in a permutation of the digits 0, 1, 4, and 9. Is this surprising?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in October 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty standard prop trading/software development interview, although D.E. Shaw focuses on Java over C/C++ more than you might expect. Interview included a fun brain-teaser exercise about lights. A relatively good grasp of the standard material won't cut it - be ready to talk about your accomplishments and pack as much impressive material as possible into your 45 minute phone screen.

Interview Question – You are in a room with 100 lights, initially all off. If you first toggle every light, then every second, and so forth up to 100, which lights will be on at the end?   View Answers (7)

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in February 2010.

Interview Details – Got 1st round interview at school. The interviewer is very nice and start by a short introduction about DE Shaw and what he does there. Then he asked a simple coding + algorithmic question: implementing a merge iterator in C++. When I finished the coding, he asked a few question about the complexity of the algorithm, how to improve it (using priority queue). Got invitation for the on-site interview in that evening. Before going, i need to submit a sample code (you can choose any code you wrote, ~300 lines) for them to review.

Went to NY for the second round (the hotel and restaurant was really nice). Got 3 technical interviews in the morning which went quite well. Then they decide to schedule another technical interview with a senior VP in the afternoon. He also asked me a few technical questions which are very interesting. E.g,
- given a method foo(int a[4]). Write code to call foo with a = [0,0,0,0], [0,0,0,1],[0,0,0,2],[0,0,1,0],....,[2,2,2,2].
- Given 2 classes of shapes (Rectangle, Circle) that inherits Shape and 2 classes of printers (BW, Color), that inherits Printer. Also given 4 methods:
  --- PrintRecBW(Rectangle s,BW p)
  --- PrintRecCol(Rectangle s,Col p)
  --- PrintCirBW(Circle s,BW p)
  --- PrintCirCol(Circle s,Col p)
write a method to Print(Shape s, Printer p) to print out (s,p) using 4 methods above WITHOUT using "if". You are allowed to implement addition methods in given classes.

I also did pretty well in this one. Finally, they schedule an interview with the manager of the team. He asked me a few general questions about my research and my working experience. Then he asked a few technical question which were very obscure, there are no right or wrong answers, e.g
  --- Do we need class Integer in Java? Why?
I thought I did ok in this interview (except the Integer question).

Interview Question – why do you want to switch from research to industry?   Answer Question

Coimbatore (India)

I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in July 2013.

Interview Details – There are 2 rounds- written and interview,, written round had 3 sections each of 20 mins.. section 1 had 20 aptitude questions.. the questions were time consuming.. section 2 was the software section consisting of 20 questions.. questions were from c, c++, java.. section 3 was software design round.. the question was to write a code in any programming language to compute 'a to the power of n' in O(log n) complexity.. sections 1 and 2 had negative marking..

Interview Question – Aptitude was the most difficult section..   Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in February 2013.

Interview Details – 2 rounds

Interview Question – String rotation problem......reducing its complexity to the best level
and many other complexity related problems
  Answer Question

Software Developer

Interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P.

Interview Details – Long and tedious hiring process. FIrst of all a written objective test of C and aptitude. Then coding round 2 questions in 1 hour. Average Level. Interview is the toughest part. Very high difficulty level at our college

Interview Question – Least Common Ancestor in a tree   Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. in December 2012.

Interview Details – In all the campus interviews that happened at our college, D E Shaw's process was the best and the fastest among all. It had 2 Technical rounds and a HR round. The technical rounds were of each 25 minutes but the interviewers were so active that they were bombarding us with questions. For me it was almost ~30 questions in 25 minutes. It was an awesome experience. The interviewers are highly active and you will have an awesome interview. The last round of HR has standard questions like

1. Why D E Shaw

2. Future Plans

3. Tell me about yourself

Interview Question – Was D E Shaw your first priority?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P.

Worked for D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by D. E. Shaw & Co., L.P. employees and interview candidates.