D.R. Horton

Very Difficult Interview

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at D.R. Horton in May 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process is complete crap. The HR department are really not the best to work with. Manager texted during the interview most of the time and was completely inattentive. Other employees during the interview were very nice though.

Interview Question – Hiring process is complete crap. The HR department are really not the best to work with.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I would tread here with this company with a red flag. The manager texted on his phone most of the interview. Negative experience here. Track record for this company is not the greatest.

Contract Administrator Interview

Contract Administrator
Las Vegas, NV

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at D.R. Horton in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred to this position by the business relationship I had with my previous employer (they were my client). It was a casual and comfortable. I already knew the managers from working with them on projects for at least a year so that really helped with them knowing what type of employee I was and if I would fit into the position or not.

Interview Question – Questions were basic and they really just wanted to get to know you, your interest and a little bit of your background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them what I would like to be paid and they said they could do that.

Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at D.R. Horton.

Interview Details – I was invited into the office to interview for a summer position. The people who interviewed me were very nice and welcoming, and very honest about how much they enjoy their experience in the company. They ask the typical interview questions, none of them were that big of a surprise.

Interview Question – I was not surprised by any of the questions that they asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Being a young college student, I did not negotiate, but I could have if I wanted to.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 months - interviewed at D.R. Horton in October 2010.

Interview Details – Started as a temp employee and in 4 months got hired full time as their employee. No real interview. They hire their friends. I was lucky. I had a friend.

Interview Question – No real interview. I was offered a job because I knew someone. They only hire their friends.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None it was here it is take it or leave it.

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at D.R. Horton.

Interview Details – meet and greet, some ramdom questions about what was on my resume, it took a long time for the decission and start date, training was non existant

Interview Question – if you had to choose would you be a fox or a rabbit   View Answer

Negotiation Details – here's what you get, take it or leave it. i have a stack of resumes on my desk./ I took it and so far so good

Systems Specialist/Programmer Interview

Systems Specialist/Programmer
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at D.R. Horton in April 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter set up an interview, and DR Horton wanted to do an initial phone interview. We set up a time, but DR Horton failed to call. So after contacting my recruiter to schedule another date, we finally got a hold of each other and began the interview. The HR person was nice enough, and gave me the usual info about the company. He then brought in their developer team leader/architect to ask the technical questions...

Interview Question – The questions were quick to get tough, and the interviewer relied on both prepared and ad hoc questions. Most of the questions were drawn from my resume, asking detailed and complex questions regarding anything he could find. I began to wonder if some of the questions were even related to the job, and I even politely asked the interviewer if the questions were relevant to this particular job, but he tersely stated that he was the person asking the questions here! If the interviewer got the sense that something was on the resume that you haven't mastered, he was quick to hone in on that, and ask question after question in more detail. He then would get hostile or mildly belligerent if I didn't know the answer to the extent he would like. I got the feeling that the interviewer had a chip on his shoulder, perhaps even had some kind of complex, and that he was not going to be a pleasant person to work with. Perhaps he was doing this to test me, and weed out any interviewees who could not 'take the heat of the kitchen', but overall I was turned off by the experience and the bull-dog approach. The interview also went on for way too long, with constant follow-up questions until I was tired, and that seemed to excite him even more. Perhaps it was just my bad experience, but it's difficult for me to recommend anyone working with this group.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered a follow-up interview in person, but based on the phone interview, I was not interested. My recruiter wasn't happy about that, but oh well...

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at D.R. Horton.

Interview Details – It was the interview from hell; very much a prosecution/defense style interview. Even when it was clear that I wouldn't be a good match for the company, interviewer continued to bull dog interviewee. The position was for 3-month to hire contract; I'm guessing few people make it past it. They advertised for mid-level position, but asked heavy engineering/architectural questions. Be prepared!

Interview Question – Sorry, I didn't understand most of the things they asked. Interview started off with relatively difficult questions I was able to answer (ie, design patterns, best practices for caching, tons of WCF questions), then quickly spiraled into bit-and-bytes to the Nth degree. Most questions were paragraph-long situational questions, which were followed-up with 'but how do you KNOW thats the best way to go about it...'   Answer Question

Residential Superintendent Interview

Residential Superintendent
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at D.R. Horton in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was one of about three hundred applicants for the job so it was a moral victory of sorts to actually get an interview. It was my first interview in many years as I had been with my previous company for fifteen years. The interview went well and I was comfortable with the topics he brought up- such as scheduling, working with home buyers, ensuring job safety and so on. At the end of tyhe interview we shook hands and he said that I was well qualified and that he had many more prospects to interview. I spoke with him a week ago and he said that I'm still under consideration but that he was still interviewing people. So maybe I still have a chance!

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you dealt with in your previous job?   View Answer

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Applications Support Analyst
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at D.R. Horton in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted about the position in May and interviewed within 2 weeks of submitting my resume. After my interview, however, it took 3 months to get an offer in hand. Certainly not ideal, but as a job seeker, you are pretty much are at the mercy of the company.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you had to lead the group out of a particularly rough situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The position was a contract-to-hire position, so I basically had to take what they gave me. I would have liked to have been able to negotiate vacation, but you can't exactly negotiate full-time benefits if the position is a contract position.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
The Woodlands, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at D.R. Horton in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for a Sales Assistant Position through the internet. I received an email stating that I could come to the open house/interview the next day. I arrived and there were probably 75 people there. There were two people that were doing the interviewing. The interviews lasted anywhere from 2 - 4 minutes. Then they sent you on your way. I am not sure what they were looking for, but the one and only question that they asked everyone was " So, tell me what you know about DR Horton". To be honest, I am not so sure what the people doing the interview knew about their own company.

Interview Question – What do you know about DR Horton.   Answer Question

Worked for D.R. Horton? Contribute to the Community!