D.R. Horton

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.6

New Home Sales Consultant Interview

Straightforward interview process. They called when they said they would. There was 1 interview with 2 sales managers. Once I received the offer, the new hires met for orientation and that is when we were told which community we would be working.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. It was more of a friendly conversation format.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D.R. Horton in January 2015.

The interview process was standard, although they contacted me via phone and I had no email addresses of anyone in the organization. It started with an initial screening for the job asking about my experience (fresh out of college and a few internships). Then I had a Skype interview since I was an out-of-state applicant. That lasted for an hour and it was mostly chatting about what my job would entail. My interviewer then decided that she wanted me to meet the regional director who I would be assisting. This process was weird because they were concerned that they couldn't Skype with me due to their network security and initially wanted me to go to their regional office to do it. Eventually, they set up a wifi hot spot without the network security to Skype me. The interview went well and I really liked the regional director.
    I had my interview on a Thursday and the following Monday sent a thank you. On Wednesday I sent another email (had found the correct email of my interviewer) asking the timeline they had for when they would make a decision. Both emails went unanswered. I thought it was odd given that they had been very good at communicating thus far. I began to wonder if someone was sick or something had happened at the office. I called my interviewer to verify that she was okay and left a voicemail. Today, I got an email from her saying that they had offered the job to another candidate last week and she cautioned me not to be so aggressive. While I thanked her for her advice I was left wondering why she wouldn't return emails or phone calls. I didn't think that the company had already made a decision, I just wanted to know the timeline so I could make decisions regarding other offers and job applications I had pending.

Interview Questions
    • The strangest question she had was if I thought I was mature enough to handle the regional director's affairs. They never said that they were concerned about my age but she did mention that at 21 she wasn't nearly mature enough to handle anything like this.   Answer Question

Construction Superintendent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D.R. Horton in July 2014.

Contacted manager through a mutual friend, promptly set up appointment. Interviewed with the area President, construction manager, and a production manager. All were very professional, explained the job very well, listed their expectations and benefits. Did not get the job but was impressed with interview process and professionalism. FYI this was with Breland Homes, one of their building divisions in Huntsville, Alabama.

Assistant Superintendent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at D.R. Horton in June 2014.

I was called for an interview and it was very smooth and easy. When I first arrived I asked to speak with the manager that called me for the interview. He was quick to come to the front and greet me to his office. Very nice and smooth process. Standard interview questions and I landed the Job.

Market Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D.R. Horton in May 2014.

I got this job by applying through glassdoor. There were three interviews, the first one was just to get a feel for who I would be working with and the last one brought on a sales manager. I had a background in real estate, and a little with subdivision analysis, which helped me immensely in the interview. I also knew appraisal, so asked me how I would evaluate communities. Great company with great benefits (at least so far!)

Interview Questions
    Not a lot of negotiation. "Here's what we offer"

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at D.R. Horton in May 2014.

Hiring process is complete crap. The HR department are really not the best to work with. Manager texted during the interview most of the time and was completely inattentive. Other employees during the interview were very nice though.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring process is complete crap. The HR department are really not the best to work with.   Answer Question

I would tread here with this company with a red flag. The manager texted on his phone most of the interview. Negative experience here. Track record for this company is not the greatest.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at D.R. Horton.

I was invited into the office to interview for a summer position. The people who interviewed me were very nice and welcoming, and very honest about how much they enjoy their experience in the company. They ask the typical interview questions, none of them were that big of a surprise.

Interview Questions
    • I was not surprised by any of the questions that they asked.   Answer Question
    Being a young college student, I did not negotiate, but I could have if I wanted to.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at D.R. Horton.

meet and greet, some ramdom questions about what was on my resume, it took a long time for the decission and start date, training was non existant

Interview Questions
    • if you had to choose would you be a fox or a rabbit   View Answer
    here's what you get, take it or leave it. i have a stack of resumes on my desk./ I took it and so far so good

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at D.R. Horton.

It was the interview from hell; very much a prosecution/defense style interview. Even when it was clear that I wouldn't be a good match for the company, interviewer continued to bull dog interviewee. The position was for 3-month to hire contract; I'm guessing few people make it past it. They advertised for mid-level position, but asked heavy engineering/architectural questions. Be prepared!

Interview Questions
    • Sorry, I didn't understand most of the things they asked. Interview started off with relatively difficult questions I was able to answer (ie, design patterns, best practices for caching, tons of WCF questions), then quickly spiraled into bit-and-bytes to the Nth degree. Most questions were paragraph-long situational questions, which were followed-up with 'but how do you KNOW thats the best way to go about it...'   Answer Question

Systems Specialist/Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D.R. Horton in April 2013.

A recruiter set up an interview, and DR Horton wanted to do an initial phone interview. We set up a time, but DR Horton failed to call. So after contacting my recruiter to schedule another date, we finally got a hold of each other and began the interview. The HR person was nice enough, and gave me the usual info about the company. He then brought in their developer team leader/architect to ask the technical questions...

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quick to get tough, and the interviewer relied on both prepared and ad hoc questions. Most of the questions were drawn from my resume, asking detailed and complex questions regarding anything he could find. I began to wonder if some of the questions were even related to the job, and I even politely asked the interviewer if the questions were relevant to this particular job, but he tersely stated that he was the person asking the questions here! If the interviewer got the sense that something was on the resume that you haven't mastered, he was quick to hone in on that, and ask question after question in more detail. He then would get hostile or mildly belligerent if I didn't know the answer to the extent he would like. I got the feeling that the interviewer had a chip on his shoulder, perhaps even had some kind of complex, and that he was not going to be a pleasant person to work with. Perhaps he was doing this to test me, and weed out any interviewees who could not 'take the heat of the kitchen', but overall I was turned off by the experience and the bull-dog approach. The interview also went on for way too long, with constant follow-up questions until I was tired, and that seemed to excite him even more. Perhaps it was just my bad experience, but it's difficult for me to recommend anyone working with this group.   Answer Question

They offered a follow-up interview in person, but based on the phone interview, I was not interested. My recruiter wasn't happy about that, but oh well...