D&B

Very Difficult Interview

Leader Interview

Leader
Short Hills, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at D&B in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on a Sunday, Received an email Wednesday requesting a phone interview. We scheduled the call for Friday afternoon. Late Friday morning, the recruiter sent me an email postponing the call for over a week and then emailed me a request to participate in an online interview using HireVue to be conducted over that weekend. I recorded my answers to 8 canned questions using my laptop with no opportunity to interact with anyone at D&B. Minutes before the phone interview was to begin, I received another email alerting me that the call was being cancelled. No reason given other than the stock "pursuing other candidates" verbiage. Very unprofessional considering that this was a high-level position.

Interview Question – None of the 8 canned questions was difficult in itself, but having 30 seconds to read each one off the computer screen and then answering it via webcam in 3 minutes or less was atrocious.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Leader Interview

Leader

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at D&B in July 2012.

Interview Details – I found the role online and applied on a Tuesday. I was contacted by the HR person the following day to arrange a time for a telephone interview request with her, which was scheduled for the following week. That Friday, I got an email request to conduct a video interview with a company called HireVue to "move things forward more quickly." They asked that the video interview be conducted by that Monday. I completed the video interview that Saturday afternoon.

The video interview consisted of a series of eight pre-recorded questions about the job, which would have been fairly easy to answer if they were asked in a standard interview setting (i.e. in person or on the phone) and there had been any sort of prior verbal contact with HR about the job, such as the telephone interview, so I could have a better idea of both the company and the scope and responsibilities of the role outside of the information posted on their website.

The questions asked were not hard to answer but the context in which they were asked was awful. The question was presented on the screen, you were given 30 seconds to think about your answer then given three minutes to record your response. Aside from the fact that you needed to own a video camera and microphone and needed to be comfortable in front of the camera and create a "set" in your home with background and lighting to ensure you presented yourself in the most flattering circumstances.

The day before my phone interview with HR was scheduled, I received an email stating that it was cancelled and they were "pursuing other candidates."

I have been on quite a few interviews and conducted even more interviews in my 15+ years in the business world and this is easily the worst interview I have ever participated in. I did not have any verbal contact at all with anyone at D&B nor was I even given the chance to discuss the role and my background with a person at the company. It would have been nice to have some human interaction, especially considering this was a high level position within the company.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard, however the way they were presented was horrendous.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at D&B in December 2010.

Interview Details – Cold calling, telephonic round and than personal interview

Interview Question – case study, idea to launch new product   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Shelton, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at D&B in August 2007.

Interview Details – The interview process was great. There were three people in the group that interviewed. At first I was intimidated but they made you feel right at home.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you couldnt handle a situation dealt at work and how you overcame it   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was easy. They pretty much gave me what i wanted. Ask for what you deserve, they will give it to you.. great pay!

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at D&B in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and was then invited to take online tests, both numerical and verbal reasoning types. Having obtained greater than the required marks in the tests was then invited to a first round interview with members of the department applied for. At the office also had to complete a numerical test in person.

Interview Question – What are the greatest problems that you think Mario Monti will face?   Answer Question

Business Reengineering, Leader Interview

Business Reengineering, Leader
Short Hills, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at D&B in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was an utter nightmare. I initially applied for a role that was listed on an alumni site. I got a call back and was told that role was not availble, but there was another role that fit my background. This call call came from an outside recruiting firm which represented itself as being a part of D&B. The person submitted my resume for the position and I then received a call. I had one interview on the phone. That went well and I was asked to travel to Short Hills, NJ (at my costs). There were no directions offered on how to get to this surban location from NYC. I went in for the interview and truly enjoyed all the people I met. After that I got another call to come back to NJ for another set of interviews (you would think they had the sense to realize their location is not convient and to get all interviews done at once). In that interview several people gave me the impression that I would get the role. After that interiview I received a call requesting I do a phone interview with someone. Who when we spoke seemed confused why we were talking. The interview processed ended at that point. As I tell the story it seems not so bad...until you realize this process drug out over 3 months often with no communication from the recruiting firm or D&B. The process was inefficient and you could almost feel how they were playing the people interviewing against each...the entire process felt slezzy and unprofessional. And that should have been my read flag.

While employed the experience was truly awful.

The manager I worked for pulled me aside several times to speak poorly about other employees on our team and express frustration in their need for development. The manager was truly in over their head and overwhelmed with the role. Very demanding in expectations but did a very poor job of setting expectaitons laying out a clear path to success for those who reported to her. In my case I don't think we had one scheduled meeting to discuss expectations around the job or for her to clearly communicate expectrations for my first project. Although it was my first project in a new organization we spent about 10 mins discussing it on a Thursday afternoon. I stayed up all night working on a draft the document that night because she asked for a draft document by Friday for a Monday early afternoon meeting. Had we some time scheduled on Thursday as oppose to a quick 10 min conversation I would have know how she expected to have a final version of the document by early afternoon Monday that was client ready.

Her relationship with her boss was characterized by frequent communication via face-to-face, phone, emails, etc and should have been a model for her with her direct reports, but was not. When she reviewed my on-boarding plan in the only one on one meeting we had (which was not scheduled) she read and responded to several emails her boss sent ultimately leaving me in the huddle room alone for 10 minutes. As a manager of people she did not seem to realize that she had an additional client...her direct reports.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experinces   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were inflexible. I found the process low rent.

Predictive Modeler Interview

Predictive Modeler
Short Hills, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at D&B.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interview, 1 hour presentation, 5 face to face interview

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at D&B.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with an internal recruiter, went well and basic sales questions. Recruiter moved me forward and was supportive throughout the process. Called back for interview in the office. Initial impression was good, seeing large open floor with casually dressed employees. Led to a room to meet with one of the Sales Managers. They gave a brief overview of the position, it was a little rushed. Then left me in the room with a phone for a mock call. Phone rings and I am instantly aking questions and trying to demonstrate knowledge of their preferred approach. Call goes through entire process (with a product overview for reference) and most importantly, asking for the sale and closing. Followed by high level feedback on my style, communication skills and approach. Told they would be in touch and received a call back within the week with a job offer.

Interview Question – Director of NCA conducted the mock call, the pressure was on immediately and they played a "pleasant but tough" customer, throwing a few curveballs with objections and pushback on price.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Base is set offer, very little room for negotiations. All opportunity for earnings is based on sales performance. Must hit quota and over achieve for bonus potential.

Vice President Interview

Vice President
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at D&B in September 2011.

Interview Details – Very positive and proactive approach. It was clear that D&B wanted to hire from the beginning

Interview Question – Do you believe you will fit into our culture, highly competitive and performance oriented   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate $10K increase in salary

Corporate Communications Interview

Corporate Communications
Short Hills, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at D&B in July 2012.

Interview Details – Horrible recruiting process. Very little personal connection and the video interview was ridiculous. Pro forma, canned questions that did not allow for any variance from the script. HR rep was borderline rude.

Interview Question – None of the canned questions was difficult to answer, but the video interview was ludicrous. It did not allow for any interaction, which is crazy when it was for a Communications position.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at D&B

Worked for D&B? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at D&B interview questions and advice. All 61 interview reviews posted anonymously by D&B employees and interview candidates.