D1 Consulting Group

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

1.8

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group.

Initially a phone call with rudimentary quires such as "why are you looking for a different position", "where do you see yourself in 5-10 years" and so forth. The HR representative that I spoke to knew very little about what the position entailed, and was more concerned with getting me in the door than answering any of my questions. Every time I asked a specific question I was told to "come in for the interview where all of my questions would be answered" - I have never seen this approach before; to me it was indicative of a company that has an extremely high churn rate and is therefore required to bring in as many people as possible.

Interview Questions

Unacceptability pay scale, deceptive job title

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at D1 Consulting Group in December 2014.

I got a call from Kelsy about a position that I applied to. I never applied to this company, I'm almost sure they pulled my resume from career builder. She asked me why I'm looking for a full time job and then asked me to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one question asked. Why am I looking for a full time job.   View Answer

After asking one question, she asked me to come in for an interview the next day. When I told her that I'd be able to set up something a little later in the week, she told me that their schedule is on a daily basis. If you can't accommodate my scheduling needs then its not the right fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group.

The interview process went quickly. I got a call from the director of human resources a day after I posted my resume on careerbuilder.com to schedule a interview. The first interview was pretty easy, the questions were not difficult, and the atmosphere was fun. It was a quick one on one, 20 minute interview to get to know me. The questions were about my strengths, where I see myself in 5-10 years, what I would bring to company, my biggest weakness, etc. I got asked back for the second interview the very next day, which was about 3 hours. I went to lunch with a Jr Consultant and learned more about the position (that it was door-to-door sales for the entry level and jr. consultant position, but after that it was in the office). She asked me simple questions about myself and my experience. After that, I was brought back into the office to have a final interview. She asked me basic questions about myself. I got offered the job that night. It was a really good experience meeting everyone who worked there and I enjoyed the company's culture, but the job wasn't for me.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing that distinguishes you from the other candidates applying?   View Answer

The hours (m-f 11am-8:30pm & sat 9am-530pm), commission based salary ($300-$500 for working 56 hours per week for the first month is ridiculous), and door-to-door sales (Att uverse package)

Junior Consultant/Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group in August 2014.

After being contacted by the hiring manager who reviewed my application on my colleges hiring board, I was invited for an initial interview to their office in Naperville. I really liked the office environment because it seemed professional yet fun and fast-paced. Everyone that worked there seemed really motivated and genuinely happy. I was invited for a second interview which was around 3 hours long where they took me out to lunch to explain more about the position. After sitting down with the last hiring manager who had a few questions for me, I was told I would receive a call as soon the decision had been made.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a problem you encountered in a past position and how you might handle it differently given the education and experience you have now.   Answer Question
    I currently am finishing an MBA and I asked them if the schedule was flexible for continued education purposes. They allowed me to take one evening a week off work to finish my degree.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at D1 Consulting Group.

1st round is with the sales manager. He or she will ask you standard questions about your work experience and what do you know about D1 Consulting group. To answer just say D1 is a sales group that canvasses Att products to customers. 2nd round is job shadowing. 3rd round is a short interview with the sales manager which guarantees you the job right away

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group.

3 process interview, two of them were on the same day with two seperate people. I was informed the same day as my last two interviews about whether I got the job or not.

Interview Questions

Wasn't what I ended up wanting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group in March 2014.

I didn't even send them my resume- CareerBuilder did. Heather (HR) contacted me, and I called her back. She didn't ask me anything about my past experience and wanted me to come for an interview the next morning. This should have been my first red flag. I told her what I was looking for in an internship: a professional environment, something related to finance. She said, of course those are all things you will be doing in our office! I thought great! They seem so interested in me! I went to the interview the next morning and their front desk receptionist is very unprofessional. Fun, but extremely unprofessional. The interview is a piece of cake. However, a huge red flag for me was that the manager didn't care about my resume or anything. She just seemed to like me after my first few sentences. They called me back about 30 minutes after I left saying that they LOVED me and wanted me to come back the next day to meet with the current junior consultant. I agreed, but later did comprehensive research and found this website.... Not once did they mention door to door sales. In fact, they told me it would be finance and business oriented!!! I was so over this company, and emailed them. I spared no frustration and expressed my true feelings about this in the nicest way possible, because I had driven from Chicago to Naperville and was so fooled by them. No response back. Do not even go to an interview, unless you're looking for door-to-door sales.

Interview Questions
    • No question was difficult. They asked, "where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "what do you do for fun?" "Do you like to have fun?" "Will you be on our kickball team?" "Will you go out for drinks with us after work?" In other words, everything NOT related to the job, because they are trying to con you into accepting.   Answer Question

This company is a joke. AT&T hires them to sell U-Verse door-to-door. After AT&T stops paying them, there is no way they will last.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group in March 2014.

First round interview is just the hiring manager seeing if you would be a good fit for the company
    Second round interview is a full day interview where you see exactly what you guys are doing on a daily basis
    Third round interview is where you get any final questions answered

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at D1 Consulting Group in November 2013.

The interview is so easy that if you cannot do well, then I honestly feel sorry for you. I get the feeling like they'll take anybody of the street and try convince them to join the team. When I walked in, there were three or four other people there waiting to talk with the other managers and assistant managers about the position. Right away, that was a red flag for me. The interview itself is very easy going that it felt like I was having a conversation like I would with anyone. The woman who interviewed me is nice, but she barely even made mention of my work and internship experience. Another red flag. Clearly these people are not HR people.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Just the usual cookie-cutter questions like "What are some of your strengths?", "What is one of your weaknesses?", "Where do you see yourself in three to five years?"   Answer Question

So I did my homework on this comapny and asked a ton of questions during the interview. The title "Junior Consultant" sounds sexy and is alluring but do not be fooled!! You are a door-to-door salesman. Let me repeat that: You are a door-to-door salesman!! Basically what you do is try to convince people that they should buy AT&T U-verse (TV, High-speed Internet, Phone, etc.). Even the website is poorly made and gives little information about what they do.

How it works is that companies like AT&T would spend an arm and a leg to advertise AT&T U-verse across the country. So AT&T contracts this work out to places that will try to sell the services the company offers. Chicago happens to be a market (and a big one at that) where servies can be sold and money can be made. Enter D1 Consulting Group (and other companies like it). D1 comes in and says "Hey, I can help you sell this AT&T U-Verse to tons of potential clients." Hearing words like that is what has the executives at AT&T drooling at the mouth. They can basically cut on advertising and marketing costs and pay a small fraction to D1 Consulting Group and make their money. It's brilliant on both parties' parts really.

Long story short, if you want to get involved in sales and work long hours, then this could be a good fit for you. Otherwise, I would steer clear of this place and find something else.

Junior Constulatna Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at D1 Consulting Group in November 2013.

What they make you do is learn a speech and hi my name is Will and I am here to talk to you about At&T that is not in the area. I heard that Comcast is the only opinion in your area.