D2L Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.9

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at D2L.

2 Phone interviews and 1 in person with hiring manager and 2 team members. Used google docs to write code for second phone interview questions. First phone interview is mostly non technical with a couple technical questions on the easier side based on what is on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Code review. Find all errors in code by reading it. Basically they want you to be a compiler.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D2L in August 2014.

Applied online and got an initial phone interview with an hr person.
    General questions about the work I do, and description of things I did in my last jobs. Strengths and weaknesses. Things I would like to improve. Greatest achievement up till now. How do you tackle bugs and issues? Most challenging bug? Most challenging project? Why are you changing your job?

Abstract vs Interface
    Stack vs Heap
    Reflection
    Algorithm: 2 arrays of names, merge them and remove duplicates.

Salary or benefits expectations?
    How many days notice does your company require?
    Any other questions?

I was told there would 2 more rounds of interview. I was given Feedback that I would be moving on to the next round. But in two weeks time I was told that I would not be moving forward as they have found better resumes or they have already filled the position. Anyhow, I was looking forward got the next interview but i was disappointed with the hr system. I am not sure why they started talking to be in the first place if my resume didn't fit the job description. I should have given a Fair chance to compete with the person with the better resume.

Software Developer Interview

It is technical interview (by phone) conducted by someone from HR who has no technical background. The question and answering make me feel uncomfortable, and very mechanical. The general conversation is fine. I do not understand why the phone interview has to be done in this way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at D2L.

I had a phone interview with Desire2Learn and they asked me a series of HR questions and later was a group of technical questions. It was not a hard interview, you need to know about the data structure and the concept of Object Oriented programming and Software Development.

QA Engineer Interview

Part 1 of 3:
    Screening call of past experience and some programming questions.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions:
      - What's a hash
      - what's reflection
      - diff between Get() and Post()
      - whats a stack?
      - whats a heap?
        Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D2L in April 2014.

Call back was through the recruiter as a first interview. Questions were well structured and basic. Me doing a lot of the talking, just going through the transition areas on my CV.

I was then asked to perform an assessment for the second interview. Some of the questions were relevant, others most definitely not. It was far too detailed for the position I applied to and involved math equations that were more apt for engineers and developers. I must have done well however, because they asked me in for a third interview.

I assumed this would be my last interview. I spent over an hour talking with the team leader about sales strategy and relative aspects of my experience. Again, not too much out of the ordinary. He told me at the third interview that he'd like to invite me for a forth, 'scenario' interview. It was booked very quickly.

The scenario interview consisted of me sitting in front of a panel of D2L employees, discussing a potential contract for a university. They were very polite and after everything was done, gave good feedback. Overall, I assumed it was a positive result as they spent the next half and hour briefing me on my future role and talking a little bit about the day-to-day operation of the company. The team lead excused himself for a meeting soon after with the promise to get in touch over the next few days.

It was a week later when I had to actually call and ask about the position. No one answered my call and I received a terse email a few hours later informing me that I was passed over for another candidate. It's disheartening that they didn't see my time worthy enough to merit a call to provide feedback and to give me an answer in a timely manner. It was a glimpse into how the Sales department values it's staff and I really feel that I dodged a bullet. Be aware of my experience as you go through the interview process and commit hours of your time to D2L.

Interview Questions
    • During panel they asked what were the details of the software outage from 2013.   View Answers (5)

Not Specified Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at D2L.

Initial phone interview. Then interview with hiring manager. Then panel and individual interviews with other managers and director.

Interview Questions
    • What will you be doing the night before you start your new job?   View Answer
    Salary & vacation were not negotiable, but they allowed me to have my benefits start immediately rather than after 3 months.

Deployment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at D2L.

Really easy interview.
    Asked general questions
    know your resume

Software Engineer - Customizations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D2L in September 2013.

First got a 45 minute phone interview which consisted of resume, behavioral, and technical questions. Got a reply back a couple days later for an in-person interview. The in-person was 1 hour long. Half an hour consisted of resume discussion, and the other half was technical questions. The technical part consisted of 2 questions - the first question I was given a page of code and was asked to find things I would change (try/catch exceptions, public to private variables, etc.). The second question was "How would you design a deck of cards" and "how would you shuffle a deck of cards?".

Got a reply back a few days later saying I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a Thread and a Process?   View Answer
    • List some design patterns and describe one of them in detail   View Answer
    • Given 2 arrays of names, how would you merge them?   View Answers (2)

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at D2L.

Applied online, received feedback for phone interview after 2 weeks. Had initial phone screen with HR (approx 30 mins). Was invited to an in-person interview with 3 different people for 20 minutes per person. Was invited back for second interview with two of the initial interviewers. Final phone conversation with hiring manager about salary before being presented with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you think this job entails and what you think you'll be doing   View Answer