D2L

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.9

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D2L.

I applied through the D2L website and received an email requesting a phone interview about 2 weeks later. The phone interview consisted of a woman from HR asking a series of pre-defined questions. As I am a recent graduate, I did not have prior experience in a programming position. I had expected her to ask about my education as well as work experience. The research I did in my masters was incredibly relevant to the work done at D2L, and I wanted to talk about that but never had the opportunity.

After asking the basic questions about my skills, strengths, weaknesses etc. I was asked a series of technical questions. The HR lady asking them didn't have much knowledge about the topics and was unable to provide clarification when I asked. I felt the questions were all pretty simple and straightforward. Most were already mentioned here on Glassdoor and none were surprising.

I was quite sure that I answered all of the technical questions well, however was not asked in for a second interview. They chose to pursue candidates with more experience. It seems that D2L puts a lot of priority on professional experience. I had expected to at least be invited in to meet the hiring manager in person.

Interview Questions
    • As mentioned, the questions asked in the interview were the same as those mentioned by other reviewers. There were no surprises, and none were particularly difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Software Developer (Co-op) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at D2L in November 2014.

Unprofessional interview. I interviewed with 2 developers, one of which was the team lead. They literally had no questions prepared, and the one dev said to the other "just make up a question for him to code".

The developer who thought of the question did not think of the repercussions of one of his decisions regarding the run-time of it when I asked about the details of coding scenario. Only at the end did he say "I realized just now that that was a much harder question than I intended.". Waste of my time.

The process involved me analyzing the questions run-time first, and then writing the code for them on a whiteboard (no pseudo-code allowed).

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of arrays where each sub-array contains an arbitrary number of random strings, find the strings that occur in every sub-array and return them (the returned result strings must also be in an array). There can be duplicates of the same string in any of the sub-arrays.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at D2L.

2 Phone interviews and 1 in person with hiring manager and 2 team members. Used google docs to write code for second phone interview questions. First phone interview is mostly non technical with a couple technical questions on the easier side based on what is on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Code review. Find all errors in code by reading it. Basically they want you to be a compiler.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D2L in August 2014.

Applied online and got an initial phone interview with an hr person.
    General questions about the work I do, and description of things I did in my last jobs. Strengths and weaknesses. Things I would like to improve. Greatest achievement up till now. How do you tackle bugs and issues? Most challenging bug? Most challenging project? Why are you changing your job?

Abstract vs Interface
    Stack vs Heap
    Reflection
    Algorithm: 2 arrays of names, merge them and remove duplicates.

Salary or benefits expectations?
    How many days notice does your company require?
    Any other questions?

I was told there would 2 more rounds of interview. I was given Feedback that I would be moving on to the next round. But in two weeks time I was told that I would not be moving forward as they have found better resumes or they have already filled the position. Anyhow, I was looking forward got the next interview but i was disappointed with the hr system. I am not sure why they started talking to be in the first place if my resume didn't fit the job description. I should have given a Fair chance to compete with the person with the better resume.

Software Developer Interview

It is technical interview (by phone) conducted by someone from HR who has no technical background. The question and answering make me feel uncomfortable, and very mechanical. The general conversation is fine. I do not understand why the phone interview has to be done in this way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at D2L.

I had a phone interview with Desire2Learn and they asked me a series of HR questions and later was a group of technical questions. It was not a hard interview, you need to know about the data structure and the concept of Object Oriented programming and Software Development.

QA Engineer Interview

Part 1 of 3:
    Screening call of past experience and some programming questions.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions:
      - What's a hash
      - what's reflection
      - diff between Get() and Post()
      - whats a stack?
      - whats a heap?

Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at D2L in April 2014.

Call back was through the recruiter as a first interview. Questions were well structured and basic. Me doing a lot of the talking, just going through the transition areas on my CV.

I was then asked to perform an assessment for the second interview. Some of the questions were relevant, others most definitely not. It was far too detailed for the position I applied to and involved math equations that were more apt for engineers and developers. I must have done well however, because they asked me in for a third interview.

I assumed this would be my last interview. I spent over an hour talking with the team leader about sales strategy and relative aspects of my experience. Again, not too much out of the ordinary. He told me at the third interview that he'd like to invite me for a forth, 'scenario' interview. It was booked very quickly.

The scenario interview consisted of me sitting in front of a panel of D2L employees, discussing a potential contract for a university. They were very polite and after everything was done, gave good feedback. Overall, I assumed it was a positive result as they spent the next half and hour briefing me on my future role and talking a little bit about the day-to-day operation of the company. The team lead excused himself for a meeting soon after with the promise to get in touch over the next few days.

It was a week later when I had to actually call and ask about the position. No one answered my call and I received a terse email a few hours later informing me that I was passed over for another candidate. It's disheartening that they didn't see my time worthy enough to merit a call to provide feedback and to give me an answer in a timely manner. It was a glimpse into how the Sales department values it's staff and I really feel that I dodged a bullet. Be aware of my experience as you go through the interview process and commit hours of your time to D2L.

Interview Questions
    • During panel they asked what were the details of the software outage from 2013.   View Answers (5)

Not Specified Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at D2L.

Initial phone interview. Then interview with hiring manager. Then panel and individual interviews with other managers and director.

Interview Questions
    • What will you be doing the night before you start your new job?   View Answer
    Salary & vacation were not negotiable, but they allowed me to have my benefits start immediately rather than after 3 months.

Deployment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at D2L.

Really easy interview.