DALSA Interview Questions

2.7

Mixed Signal ASIC Designer With Project Managements Ambitions (Entry Level MSC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enschede (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enschede (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at DALSA in August 2013.

The process was fast. They Invite you to Enschede for a first interview with the Manager and the Principal Scientist. Your typical Greet and Meet. If you pass this meet and greet they will invite you to a 2nd interview of 3 hours by 3 interviewers (1hr each).
    The interviewers are really nice people who really want to learn what you have done and check if you match with them.

Test Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at DALSA in October 2011.

I found the position of Test Specialist on Glassdoor.com. Test Specialist is a high-level technician/low-level engineer position in the CMOS image sensor group at Dalsa. The Test Specialist is responsible for setting up and running tests for imaging sensors and to help customers solve technical problems. Dalsa created this position to free up time for higher-level engineers in the CMOS group so they can focus on higher-value work like design.

I looked up the job opening on the official Dalsa website and applied there.

There were 4 keys things in the skills section of the job description: Matlab, Labview, FPGA programming and C programming. I prepared a 2-page custom resume where I listed my relevant work experience under exactly these sections plus a highlight/summary and education section.

The online application was handled by a third-party web application that did not let me upload a custom resume in .doc or .pdf format. I had to copy and paste my information into a plain-text text box. I didn't feel the online application process let me communicate my skills effectively so I physically mailed in a custom resume plus a 1-page cover letter.

I waited 3 weeks until an HR person phoned me and arranged an in-person interview at the Dalsa Waterloo office.

The first half of the interview was with an HR person. She talked about the company in the usual manner and asked me the usual HR questions. She failed to give me a sense of what the job entailed and overall this part of the interview was more useful to her than me.

The second half of the interview was with the engineer who was in charge of the ASIC testing group. He was able to tell me exactly what the job entailed. He told me that the job paid $40,000 to $55,000/yr and that there was a well-defined career path into higher-level engineering positions 1 or 2 years down the road. He didn't ask me any technical questions, but did say that there is a 2nd round of interviews with an even higher-level HR person and technical person where "technical" questions will be asked.

I asked the engineer what attracted him on my resume; he said the 4 key words that was listed on the job description: Matlab, Labview, FPGA programming and C programming. I also asked how long it'll take him to make a decision. He said that I'll know in 1 to 2 weeks if I make it for the next round of interviews.

I waited another 3 weeks until the HR person emailed me and said that there was a hiring freeze at Dalsa. Dalsa won't be hiring for Test Specialist again until spring 2012.

I was displeased at how long Dalsa took to get through the interview process in general. I waited 3 weeks for my interview, but the job description was posted long before that.

I got a small tour of the Dalsa Waterloo office. The are multiple buildings concentrated in an industrial area in North Waterloo. There is a large mall with lots of food (and coffee) nearby. The area is made for people with cars and it is a long walk to the nearest bus stop. The offices are a mix of cubicles and labs/clean rooms. Nothing exciting.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DALSA in April 2011.

I got a first interview with the software manager and the project manager. They began by describing the company, what they do, where they are, the history of the company. Then described me briefly the position I was interviewed for and they asked for clarifications on a few things on my CV. They asked my why I was interested in the position.
    They began an oral test on very specific technical things. They were not only related to software design but to electronic and network.
    They also asked me general questions : how would be your ideal supervisor, give one of your strenghs and one of your weaknesses; what would you like to do in 5 years...
    They was then a second interview with the HR. I got very general, typical, HR questions. No hard questions.