DC Energy

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

4.0

I applied through college or university – interviewed at DC Energy.

Asked me one personal question, one resume question, and one analytical question. Interviewer was curt. Most of the interview was spent on the critical thinking question. Maybe he had more questions afterwards but I never answered the critical thinking question successfully. He asked me if I had any questions about the company after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain experience with R & MATLAB   Answer Question
    • Critical thinking problem with 1000 boxes, a set of rules for eliminating boxes, and asking to pick the last box remaining   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at D.C. Energy?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DC Energy.

I interviewed on Campus. The first round interview was fairly difficult. It required some math knowledge. The second round interviews were still on campus but were two separate interviews. One of them wasn't too difficult but the other I struggled with a lot. I was surprised I got invited back for the office day. The office day was incredible. Just interviewing with this company was worth it even though I ended up choosing another job. They put everyone up in a nice hotel for two nights and take everyone out for dinner and drinks both nights. The actual office interview day was much more relaxing than the previous interviews. I think once they invite you to the office they know you are smart, they just want to see how well you work with others and to see how well you would fit in company culture. The employees at DC Energy are great people. Everyone is smart and able to hold good conversations.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews involved questions relating to the energy business and brain teasers.   Answer Question

Even though DC Energy looks like an incredible place to work, I received other great offers. While the salary at DC Energy is high, the hours I would need to put were a concern for me since this is my first job out of college. Note: DC Energy actually has great hours considering they are an investment company. But I decided I would rather start my career working closer to 45 hours per week rather than 55 hours per week. Another concern with working for DC Energy is the swings in the energy investment industry. Many firms don't last long, and while DC Energy's track record is great, the time in between when I would have had to accept the offer and when I would actually start working is long. I didn't want to risk the company failing, leaving me without a job. I could definitely see myself at DC Energy in the future.

Investment Analyst Interview Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at DC Energy.

Met the recruiter at a career fair, submitted resume and cover letter got a first round interview. Unfortunately I did not know it was a case interview. I had never done a case interview before, and it showed in my presentation. Although I came to the correct number, I did not receive a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of lightbulbs bought yearly in the US.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

-Submitted my resume and cover letter through my university career database
    -Had 2 30min in-person interviews with company employees
    -One brainteaser (see below)
    -One case interview about what type of power plant to invest in based off of figures given to you (coal, natural gas, or oil)

Interview Questions
    • Brainteaser: You have 1000 boxes and only 1 box contains the "treasure". In order to find the correct box, you must line the boxes up 1-1000 and systematically remove one box, save the next box, remove the next box, etc, etc. What number box contains the treasure?   View Answers (2)

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DC Energy in October 2014.

I used my school's resume drop to apply, and was selected for first-round interviews. Before the interview, no information was provided on what type of interview it would be, so I was a little unsure about what it would be, though I expected case. This was correct. It was 40 minutes case, 5 minutes for me to ask questions.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at DC Energy.

Very brief 30 min interview that went over my resume, interest for the company and the skills that I brought to the position. The interviewer was very nice and polite and had a lot of experience in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the smallest number that is perfectly divisible (no decimals) by every number between 1-10?   View Answers (2)

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DC Energy.

I did a resume drop through my schools career services website and heard back within two weeks. The first round interview was a short case interview and the second round was the next day and included two interviews each lasting around forty-five to fifty-five minutes. They asked questions based on information they gave you and had one question about a computer simulation.

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DC Energy.

I applied through campus recruiting - submitted my resume and cover letter and was offered a 1st round interview. The interview was mainly just the case - not too much fit or behavioral at all. The interviewer was really nice and polite and did not make me feel nervous or uncomfortable.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DC Energy in October 2013.

I applied online through the college's job portal. I was selected for a first interview. The interview was an on-campus interview. It consisted solely of asking why you were interested in the position and a case study. We were called back later that day to find out whether we were given a second interview which was to be the following day.

Interview Questions
    • The case study consisted of an electronics store which was going out of business. The prices various hypothetical customers were willing to pay was given for an item. Competitor's prices were given as well as the cost you paid, the MSRP, and the disposal cost. You were asked to select the best price to set for the sale of the goods. This was then reiterated twice more, once with a different item and once with two items where some customers were only willing to pay for packages with two items.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DC Energy in October 2011.

Applied through university career services, then got offered an interview. First round interview was about half and hour, a computer science question, algorithm-based. Later that night got a phone call offering me a 2nd round interview the next day. That was 2 45-minute interviews back to back, both were much more quantitative in nature. Also got to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Which power plant would you build, coal, natural gas, or oil?   View Answer