DC Energy

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview Details – I did a resume drop through my schools career services website and heard back within two weeks. The first round interview was a short case interview and the second round was the next day and included two interviews each lasting around forty-five to fifty-five minutes. They asked questions based on information they gave you and had one question about a computer simulation.

Interview Question – A computer simulation.   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at DC Energy in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through the college's job portal. I was selected for a first interview. The interview was an on-campus interview. It consisted solely of asking why you were interested in the position and a case study. We were called back later that day to find out whether we were given a second interview which was to be the following day.

Interview Question – The case study consisted of an electronics store which was going out of business. The prices various hypothetical customers were willing to pay was given for an item. Competitor's prices were given as well as the cost you paid, the MSRP, and the disposal cost. You were asked to select the best price to set for the sale of the goods. This was then reiterated twice more, once with a different item and once with two items where some customers were only willing to pay for packages with two items.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview Details – I applied through campus recruiting - submitted my resume and cover letter and was offered a 1st round interview. The interview was mainly just the case - not too much fit or behavioral at all. The interviewer was really nice and polite and did not make me feel nervous or uncomfortable.

Interview Question – expected value questions   Answer Question

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DC Energy in September 2010.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews. 1st round was on campus and was 2 30 minute logical reasoning/problem interviews. 2nd round was also on campus and was the same thing. Then invited to office day with panels, fit interviews with current employees and managers, and a team exercise. Got the offer a few days later.

Interview Question – Reasoning through a coal plant's profits and business operations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation, but a pretty good sell with benefits/bonus/etc.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at DC Energy in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through university career services, then got offered an interview. First round interview was about half and hour, a computer science question, algorithm-based. Later that night got a phone call offering me a 2nd round interview the next day. That was 2 45-minute interviews back to back, both were much more quantitative in nature. Also got to ask questions.

Interview Question – Which power plant would you build, coal, natural gas, or oil?   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at DC Energy in November 2010.

Interview Details – 1 hour skill test. General math and logic. Brush up on this before hand. Find the area of a circle inside a square inside a circle. Most of it is analytical and fairly straight forward but there are a couple of questions regarding your interest in your position and whether you have programming experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at DC Energy?   Answer Question

Vienna, VA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at DC Energy in May 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume via college job board and was contacted a few weeks later for an IQ/Computer test.

Online test consisted mainly of brain teasers, math problems and market estimation questions. You are expected to take an hour to complete the exam. I'd suggest skimming a brain teaser or basic probability/math book to prepare.

Phone interview went over my resume and ended with a simple probability case interview involving coin flips.

Week later I was invited for an on-site interview which HR said would consist of 3 case interviews. First interview was centered around choosing between certain power plant configurations given some data--simple DCF would suffice. The 2nd interview involved how to invest in a variety of power plants given probabilistic data. Final interview consisted of choosing between crops and how to allocate an investment.

I'd suggest that interviewers review case study books and basic portfolio texts.

Interview Question – You are farmer with the following historical pricing data for X and Y crop. What would you plant and why?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DC Energy in March 2010.

Interview Details – The first part is an online test. Mostly logic questions and quant type problems. I don't think you need to get the whole thing right to move onto the phone screen. The second part was a phone screen gauging general interest including fitness questions and also a case at the end. The case was not a general business cases and involved solving a math problem with weighted averages on probabilities. When you get invited to final round, the recruiter will give you a sample case that will make u think you will get general business cases - however don't be misled by this, your cases will be math problems and more like solving brain teaser or quant problems (dont waste your time prepping business cases). There are 3 cases during final round, and afterwards a lunch, and then maybe a presentation of the company. The lunch was after the cases so it cannot help you, only hurt you.

Interview Questions

• how many zeros are at the end of 100!   View Answers (3)
  • f(n) is a function counting all the ones that show up in 1, 2, 3, ..., n. so f(1)=1, f(10)=2, f(11)=4 etc. When is the first time f(n)=n.   View Answers (7)

Investment Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at DC Energy in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round interview was 30 minutes long; 10 minutes fit, 15 minutes case, 5 minutes for questions. Case was not like typical mgmt consulting case; don't come in with the strategy consulting approach. The case really consisted of related questions which were indirectly linked to how electricity auctions run. Interviewer wasn't *that* helpful, which made it difficult.

Interview Question – Why do you want to trade energy?   Answer Question

Interviewed at DC Energy

Interview Details – Met them at a campus recruiting fair. They were very friendly and invited me to a mingling event that night. Got a first round interview. The interview was very math/ statistics heavy and a case study. I didn't make it to second round.

Interview Question – Case study having to do with probabilities. Brush up on more than your basic stat.   Answer Question

Worked for DC Energy? Contribute to the Community!