DC Energy

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.9

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at DC Energy.

Asked me one personal question, one resume question, and one analytical question. Interviewer was curt. Most of the interview was spent on the critical thinking question. Maybe he had more questions afterwards but I never answered the critical thinking question successfully. He asked me if I had any questions about the company after the interview.

Interview Questions
  • Explain experience with R & MATLAB   Answer Question
  • Critical thinking problem with 1000 boxes, a set of rules for eliminating boxes, and asking to pick the last box remaining   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work at D.C. Energy?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for DC Energy

Investment Analyst Interview

-Submitted my resume and cover letter through my university career database
    -Had 2 30min in-person interviews with company employees
    -One brainteaser (see below)
    -One case interview about what type of power plant to invest in based off of figures given to you (coal, natural gas, or oil)

Interview Questions
    • Brainteaser: You have 1000 boxes and only 1 box contains the "treasure". In order to find the correct box, you must line the boxes up 1-1000 and systematically remove one box, save the next box, remove the next box, etc, etc. What number box contains the treasure?   View Answers (2)

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DC Energy in October 2014.

I used my school's resume drop to apply, and was selected for first-round interviews. Before the interview, no information was provided on what type of interview it would be, so I was a little unsure about what it would be, though I expected case. This was correct. It was 40 minutes case, 5 minutes for me to ask questions.

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at DC Energy.

Very brief 30 min interview that went over my resume, interest for the company and the skills that I brought to the position. The interviewer was very nice and polite and had a lot of experience in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the smallest number that is perfectly divisible (no decimals) by every number between 1-10?   View Answers (2)

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DC Energy.

I applied through campus recruiting - submitted my resume and cover letter and was offered a 1st round interview. The interview was mainly just the case - not too much fit or behavioral at all. The interviewer was really nice and polite and did not make me feel nervous or uncomfortable.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DC Energy in October 2013.

I applied online through the college's job portal. I was selected for a first interview. The interview was an on-campus interview. It consisted solely of asking why you were interested in the position and a case study. We were called back later that day to find out whether we were given a second interview which was to be the following day.

Interview Questions
    • The case study consisted of an electronics store which was going out of business. The prices various hypothetical customers were willing to pay was given for an item. Competitor's prices were given as well as the cost you paid, the MSRP, and the disposal cost. You were asked to select the best price to set for the sale of the goods. This was then reiterated twice more, once with a different item and once with two items where some customers were only willing to pay for packages with two items.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DC Energy in November 2010.

1 hour skill test. General math and logic. Brush up on this before hand. Find the area of a circle inside a square inside a circle. Most of it is analytical and fairly straight forward but there are a couple of questions regarding your interest in your position and whether you have programming experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at DC Energy in September 2010.

2 rounds of interviews. 1st round was on campus and was 2 30 minute logical reasoning/problem interviews. 2nd round was also on campus and was the same thing. Then invited to office day with panels, fit interviews with current employees and managers, and a team exercise. Got the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Reasoning through a coal plant's profits and business operations   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation, but a pretty good sell with benefits/bonus/etc.

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at DC Energy in May 2010.

Submitted resume via college job board and was contacted a few weeks later for an IQ/Computer test.

Online test consisted mainly of brain teasers, math problems and market estimation questions. You are expected to take an hour to complete the exam. I'd suggest skimming a brain teaser or basic probability/math book to prepare.

Phone interview went over my resume and ended with a simple probability case interview involving coin flips.

Week later I was invited for an on-site interview which HR said would consist of 3 case interviews. First interview was centered around choosing between certain power plant configurations given some data--simple DCF would suffice. The 2nd interview involved how to invest in a variety of power plants given probabilistic data. Final interview consisted of choosing between crops and how to allocate an investment.

I'd suggest that interviewers review case study books and basic portfolio texts.

Interview Questions
    • You are farmer with the following historical pricing data for X and Y crop. What would you plant and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DC Energy in March 2010.

The first part is an online test. Mostly logic questions and quant type problems. I don't think you need to get the whole thing right to move onto the phone screen. The second part was a phone screen gauging general interest including fitness questions and also a case at the end. The case was not a general business cases and involved solving a math problem with weighted averages on probabilities. When you get invited to final round, the recruiter will give you a sample case that will make u think you will get general business cases - however don't be misled by this, your cases will be math problems and more like solving brain teaser or quant problems (dont waste your time prepping business cases). There are 3 cases during final round, and afterwards a lunch, and then maybe a presentation of the company. The lunch was after the cases so it cannot help you, only hurt you.

Interview Questions
    • how many zeros are at the end of 100!   View Answers (3)
    • f(n) is a function counting all the ones that show up in 1, 2, 3, ..., n. so f(1)=1, f(10)=2, f(11)=4 etc. When is the first time f(n)=n.   View Answers (7)