DC Energy

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at DC Energy in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through the college's job portal. I was selected for a first interview. The interview was an on-campus interview. It consisted solely of asking why you were interested in the position and a case study. We were called back later that day to find out whether we were given a second interview which was to be the following day.

Interview Question – The case study consisted of an electronics store which was going out of business. The prices various hypothetical customers were willing to pay was given for an item. Competitor's prices were given as well as the cost you paid, the MSRP, and the disposal cost. You were asked to select the best price to set for the sale of the goods. This was then reiterated twice more, once with a different item and once with two items where some customers were only willing to pay for packages with two items.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview Details – I applied through campus recruiting - submitted my resume and cover letter and was offered a 1st round interview. The interview was mainly just the case - not too much fit or behavioral at all. The interviewer was really nice and polite and did not make me feel nervous or uncomfortable.

Interview Question – expected value questions   Answer Question

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DC Energy in September 2010.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews. 1st round was on campus and was 2 30 minute logical reasoning/problem interviews. 2nd round was also on campus and was the same thing. Then invited to office day with panels, fit interviews with current employees and managers, and a team exercise. Got the offer a few days later.

Interview Question – Reasoning through a coal plant's profits and business operations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation, but a pretty good sell with benefits/bonus/etc.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at DC Energy in November 2010.

Interview Details – 1 hour skill test. General math and logic. Brush up on this before hand. Find the area of a circle inside a square inside a circle. Most of it is analytical and fairly straight forward but there are a couple of questions regarding your interest in your position and whether you have programming experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at DC Energy?   Answer Question

Vienna, VA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at DC Energy in May 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume via college job board and was contacted a few weeks later for an IQ/Computer test.

Online test consisted mainly of brain teasers, math problems and market estimation questions. You are expected to take an hour to complete the exam. I'd suggest skimming a brain teaser or basic probability/math book to prepare.

Phone interview went over my resume and ended with a simple probability case interview involving coin flips.

Week later I was invited for an on-site interview which HR said would consist of 3 case interviews. First interview was centered around choosing between certain power plant configurations given some data--simple DCF would suffice. The 2nd interview involved how to invest in a variety of power plants given probabilistic data. Final interview consisted of choosing between crops and how to allocate an investment.

I'd suggest that interviewers review case study books and basic portfolio texts.

Interview Question – You are farmer with the following historical pricing data for X and Y crop. What would you plant and why?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DC Energy in March 2010.

Interview Details – The first part is an online test. Mostly logic questions and quant type problems. I don't think you need to get the whole thing right to move onto the phone screen. The second part was a phone screen gauging general interest including fitness questions and also a case at the end. The case was not a general business cases and involved solving a math problem with weighted averages on probabilities. When you get invited to final round, the recruiter will give you a sample case that will make u think you will get general business cases - however don't be misled by this, your cases will be math problems and more like solving brain teaser or quant problems (dont waste your time prepping business cases). There are 3 cases during final round, and afterwards a lunch, and then maybe a presentation of the company. The lunch was after the cases so it cannot help you, only hurt you.

Interview Questions

• how many zeros are at the end of 100!   View Answers (3)
  • f(n) is a function counting all the ones that show up in 1, 2, 3, ..., n. so f(1)=1, f(10)=2, f(11)=4 etc. When is the first time f(n)=n.   View Answers (7)

Investment Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at DC Energy in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round interview was 30 minutes long; 10 minutes fit, 15 minutes case, 5 minutes for questions. Case was not like typical mgmt consulting case; don't come in with the strategy consulting approach. The case really consisted of related questions which were indirectly linked to how electricity auctions run. Interviewer wasn't *that* helpful, which made it difficult.

Interview Question – Why do you want to trade energy?   Answer Question

Interviewed at DC Energy

Interview Details – applied through University career center and received on-campus first round interview

Interview Question – Was asked technical question about a function provided by the interviewer   Answer Question

Investment Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DC Energy in December 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume on their website. Several months later, I recieved a response, and took the online test. 8 +/- questions, some were free response (why are you interested, explain why the dollar coin failed), some were brain teasers. (very similiar to the questions others have posted, although a lot of the posted answers are wrong)

Following the online test, i did a thirty minute phone interview with a current analyst. For the most part, we just discussed the electricity market, and how the trade, etc. We ended with a brain teaser, (how many tires are sold in the US). Overall, I believe the interview went well. The analyst sent me an email immediately following the interview, thanking me and saying to reach out with any additional questions. I sent him a nice obligatory thank you reply.

Since then, complete silence. After 3 weeks, I contacted the HR person inquiring about my status. No response... Very odd, considering that others have posted that they've recieved relatively quick feedback.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Investment Analyst

The process took 1 week - interviewed at DC Energy in October 2011.

Interview Details – Received 1st round interview through on-campus recruiting; 30-minute quantitative case interview. Interviewer was friendly and experienced.

Received call-back for 2nd rounds same evening. Two 45-minute interviews, with a mix of fit, case, quant, and algorithmic questions. Got the feeling that the technical questions carried heavier weight. Crushed all questions except the algorithm one, which was very difficult. Still don't know how to solve it. Having taken some algorithms classes might have been helpful.

Dinged a few days later.

Not a typical prop trading firm. Work is more team-focused with a single bonus pool. Being a team-player was emphasized. Overall, a very selective but pleasant interview experience.

Interview Question – Why trading/DC Energy?   Answer Question

Worked for DC Energy? Contribute to the Community!