DC Public Schools

Updated Jan 12, 2015
Updated Jan 12, 2015

2.6

Teaching and Learning Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DC Public Schools.

I applied to the posting based off of a current employee referral and was emailed about the position the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was 30 min and quite easy. (questions in regard to schedule planning and how i approach organization and simple conflicts and parent needs) I received an email for an in person follow-up interview on the same day. In person interview was also about 30 min and included 1 other team member. All were friendly and questions were similar to phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked at on several occasions how I would deal with an irate or angry parent but that was the most difficult question at best. Many times the q's are to gauge your critical thinking skills in moments that require immediate action.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DC Public Schools.

The process had 3 Stages:
    Phone interview - 1 hour
    Performance Task - 48 hours to complete
    In-person interview - 1 hour

This took place in the span of 2 weeks, but that is not the rule. Each manager/director creates their own interview strategy and task, so it varies greatly.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked a question, which made the interview difficult. I was told tell them why I was qualified during the first interview. The second started with "What questions do you have?"

I actually think they learned a lot from setting up the interview like this.

I would suggest that you prepare by trying to think of what specific actions you would take, and what additional information you would need to preform well in the role. Being able to discuss specifics like possible deliverables, timelines and partners, in an in-depth way will help you, even if your interview isn't set up like mine.

Answer Question

Administrative Aide Interview

It was pretty simple. If you are a current DCPS employee, all you have to do is interview with the personnel team at a particular school with the vacancy and they decide yay or nay. If you are new to DCPS, you would have to go through the central office process first and then to interview with schools.

There isn't any. They have a "step" process that takes into account your experience and education.

Literacy Assistant Principal Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at DC Public Schools in July 2014.

Online application and performance assessment followed with a phone interview. If you successfully pass the phone interview, you have an in-person with members of the administrative team and literacy team.

Follow-up did not occur until three weeks later via email.

Math Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DC Public Schools.

Phone interview had pretty standard questions - tell me about yourself, why did you decide to become a teacher, how do you handle a classroom with unruly students, how do you address student concerns with parents, how do you resolve conflicts with peers, how would you teach a class on functions, how would you prepare students for upcoming tests and assessments, etc.

Interview Questions
    • People say that students in urban school districts are not in a position to learn. How do you feel about that statement?   Answer Question
    I just received an email saying that they want to see a video of me teaching a lesson in front of students. The email also asked me to stop by the Fingerprinting Office so they can run a background check on me. I guess they liked my answers from the phone interview.

Education Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at DC Public Schools.

Resume sent and interview scheduled several weeks later. Very informal, yet professional, initial process although four people made up the selection committee. Relaxed, open, honest and frank discussions created an atmosphere of wanting to be a part of the team. Second interview was more stressful, but lacked the professionalism of the first. Questions and interactions were under-prepared and the interviewing party was preoccupied with nonsensical banter about what they were having for lunch, relationship matters and the community served.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard. Nothing was difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    Negotiation phase was pleasant. I was offered more than initially requested. HR handled the process and it was by the book.

High School Career and Technical Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DC Public Schools.

I was hired after volunteering in my school's program for close to a year, when the person that they had intended to hire left the area. I was essentially offered the position, and did not need to interview.

I was told what I would make, and I accepted. It was more than I thought I would get.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at DC Public Schools in January 2014.

Like others, I applied online. I then completed a phone interview, was called in for an in-person interview, but made it to the final rounds. Interview questions were your basic run-of-the mill questions. In fact, your interviewer may even stare at their computer screen while you talk. The overall attitude is "you should feel honored to be here and that we even called you."

Interview Questions

They exhibit the "same-like-me" bias. Very unprofessional. Some interviewers seemed completely unprofessional and disinterested in the interview process. In fact, don't even bother applying if you didn't do TFA or possess an Ivy league education. If you are a traditionally trained teacher looking to transition into leadership, this is not the place for you. Although I was offered, I ultimately declined. After learning about the TFA and Ivy League bias, I felt that I couldn't accept the position. There are really great teachers who know way more about education policy than I do but will never have the opportunity to lead with this administration. No wonder DCPS scores tank!

Office of Human Capital - Coordinator, School Leader Recruitment & Selection Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at DC Public Schools in October 2013.

Applied for the position online and within 3 days received an e-mail from the manager. We scheduled a phone interview. It was a very good phone interview not too in-depth, but provided information about the organization and they asked questions about my background. About a week after the initial interview received a request for an in-person interview. This was a 4 hour interview and included a task that was designed to see your strategic view on the position. You then interviewed with the Director/Deputy director and then members of various teams. I thought the interview was well developed and the interviewers were extremely professional and courteous. My only issue is that after the time investment , a negative or positive response was not provided.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to complete a task oriented assignment as part of the interview process.   Answer Question

Assistant, IMPACT Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DC Public Schools.

Went through first round which consisted of several performance tasks-- very simple but time-consuming (data analysis round, sample email tasks, etc). Made it to the next telephone interview, very basic ("what's your background?" "give an example of a time you disagreed with your boss," etc). I got word that I didn't make it to the next round later than expected, so I saw it coming. They were friendly but I could tell they were not very disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to do performance tasks with a 48 hour notice   Answer Question