DEKA Research Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2014
Updated Aug 12, 2014

3.7

QA Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DEKA Research in June 2014.

Initial phone interview regarding my background/education followed by an on-site interview. It's a panel interview consisting of a few engineers. They ask you brain teasers and basic Engineering questions.

QA Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DEKA Research.

Initial phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes. Followed by a white board interview that included solving 4 engineering related questions. Study up on your basic engineering principles as this will help you actually think through what is really being asked.

Interview Questions
    • Know your fundamental engineering principles or they will quickly overlook you. Questions were not overly difficult, but be prepared to talk your way through your problem solving process. The interviewers were friendly and would give hints along the way.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at DEKA Research in May 2014.

I was initially contacted by HR and she set up a phone interview with a Test Manager for the next week. Spoke with the test manager who asked mostly basic resume type questions and gave me a job description. 2 days later, HR emailed to schedule an in person interview in New Hampshire. The interview consisted of 4 test engineers and managers in a room asking questions. The first 45 minutes was typical interview questions. This was followed by a white board interview, with questions ranging from basic physics to heat transfer. They talked me through some of the problems that I had difficulty with, and gave me hints as to where to direct my thinking.

Interview Questions
    • Given a front view and a top view of a shape, draw the side view including any hidden lines.   Answer Question
    • If an anchor is thrown off of a boat and into the water, does the water level raise, lower or stay the same. Prove it with diagrams.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DEKA Research.

I was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was a little over an hour, and was mostly just questions about my background and experience. The last question however was a brainteaser. I was informed via email a week later that i was no longer being considered for the position.

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Walked right into the white board interview...interview was for a very specific position and I found out quickly they were actually looking for a previous colleague. I was called back for a second interview for a more fitting but different position. That interview went well up to the point where they asked my these think-out-of-the-box questions...I agreed only if I could ask my own afterward. Theirs I nailed but none of them could answer my puzzle question...Oops!

Interview Questions
    • We usually do this to candidates a little less experienced, but would you mind if you ask you a few puzzle questions to see if you can think outside the box?   View Answer

Purchasing Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at DEKA Research.

Answered an ad for a temporary position on Craigslist. Two interviews and then brought in as a temp employee. Most employees come in as a temp so DEKA does not have to pay any benefits and can pay at a very low wage.

Interview Questions
    • Recruiter asked, "Have you read all the negatives about DEKA and are you sure you want to work at this company?"   View Answer
    You are not allowed to negotiate a wage. HR tells you what you will be paid, take it or leave it at 30-40% below market wage. All employees come in as entry level inferior DEKA "Associates" no matter what professional level you are currently, but you are not told that until after you are onboard already. Then you are humiliated, disrespected and bullied to death.

QA Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DEKA Research in August 2013.

Applied online thru their site and was contacted by HR. A phone interview was immediately set up. It lasts for about an hour since it was mostly about the job description and learning about your background. I was asked to come to an on-site interview in a week. I was placed in a meeting room with about 5-6 other engineers where they ask you brain teasers and simple engineering questions. After that I took a tour of the facilities. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Practice/research brain teasers online beforehand for some help.   Answer Question

Decided to go with another company since it was more toward my interests; pay was also low.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DEKA Research.

It's very hard to get in interview unless you are referred by someone in the company but definitely not impossible as they do search for people when the role has to be filled. The interview is technical and full of brain teasers and/or problems to test your knowledge. This was made a little more stressful by the 4 mechanical engineers sitting in on the interview. Still, almost everyone is very intelligent, kind, and helpfull.

Interview Questions
    • Calculating the deflection of a beam symbolically while having to derive the moment of inertia in the process.   View Answer
    I accepted their offer without a counter offer.

Senior Software Engineer, Windows Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

The process took a day - interviewed at DEKA Research in May 2010.

Know your C and C++. be prepared to discuss sample code they put on the whiteboard. dont be afraid of the "brain teaser" questions they ask. talk as you think thu them. they want to hear and learn how you think. ask them questions about any of this as you think thru it.

Interview Questions
    • C memory management. types of storage. how the compiler manages.   Answer Question
    they agreed to match my previous salary. they will not negotiate about vacation. everyone gets 2 weeks for the first 5 years, which is pathetic for Senior engineers.

Engineering Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at DEKA Research in January 2008.

Expect an hour long phone interview. And if they like you, expect an intimidating group interview with up to eight engineers and managers. You'll be standing in front of a white board and asked riddles and technical questions with an emphasis on first principles. Be honest. BS is spotted quickly.

Interview Questions
    They will massively undercut you in salary and tell you that you had golden handcuffs at your last job. They will argue that in return you get to work on cool projects.

Worked for DEKA Research? Contribute to the Community!