DFID Interview Questions

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at DFID

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at DFID.

Transfered from another government department, with both a formal interview panel and an informal interview. The formal process was challenging and competitive. The informal aspect was also important - it was clear that the hiring senior civil servant had spoken to colleagues in my home department about me. The post I was going for was 'hard to fill', partly because of location, so that helped.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think about DALYs as a technique?   View Answer
    No scope to negotiate as already part of UK civil service moving on level transfer. The package was odd - not good on salary (I actually took a pay cut) but excessively generous on relocation (DFID relocates a lot of people overseas so has a comprehensive package).

Private Sector Development Advisor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at DFID in September 2009.

It was about a 5 hour interview. Consisted of a panel of three interviewers although one particular one controlled the interview. Lots of mining of information, not very clear on the success of their work. I got the impression that the interview was really an exercise in data mining. They have interesting projects but its difficult to tell if most were good only on paper.

Interview Questions