DIRECTV Interview Questions in El Segundo, CA

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.8

Director Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Directv HR recruiter. I scheduled a call with him and it went well. I was then scheduled a call with another HR person and it also went well. She was able to answer most questions I had and therefore decided to proceed with the process. HR then scheduled me with a phone interview with the VP I would be reporting to. The 30-minute scheduled VP phone interview lasted close to an hour. It all went well and I was then scheduled for an in-person interview with the VP. I went into the Directv HQ and met with the VP for a 1-hour scheduled meeting that lasted over 90 minutes. Everything went well but, of course, in hindsight I could have done better in a few areas. I left feeling good about my prospects since before I left the VP said there would be 1 more round of interviews to meet with the team. She also was disappointed that I couldn't meet with one of the team members when, at the end of the meeting, she saw he was actually back from his vacation. As I said, everything seemed well. I sent a thank you letter the following day and was just waiting to hear from HR for the next steps. Up to that moment I was in constant contact with HR and they were reaching out to me and keeping me up to date on the progress. This contact had been going on for about a month at this point. A few days after the interview I reached out to HR to ask about the next steps and never got a reply. I asked several times for at least an update and never received even an short email saying the position was filled. About a month after the final interview I went on Directv's web site and saw that the position was not listed anymore. The interview process was very good up until the point where they decided I wasn't in the running anymore. All contact was cut off with no explanation and that's just not professional.

Interview Questions

• What is a systems engineer?   1 Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience I've ever had. Was initially contacted by a recruiter who set me up with a phone screen. After the phone screen, they wanted to set up a full day of interviews where I interviewed with five people plus complete a case study. They rescheduled the interview day five different times in the same week and I started to feel jerked around and that my time wasn't valuable to them. Then the morning of the interview as I am walking out the door at 7:30am to drive to Directv, the recruiter calls me to tell me that one of the people I'm supposed to interview with is now unavailable and they want me to come in at 10:00am now. I almost told the recruiter I was no longer interested in the position, since they clearly did not have the organizational capabilities to schedule a simple interview. However, I ended up going in and only meeting with three people and not doing the case study. They also did not have a job description for the role I was interviewing for. When I asked what the role entailed and what my responsibilities would be, they were extremely vague and couldn't give me a straight answer. You're a Fortune 500 company...how do you not have a job description or know what the role entails? They also told me that my position could be affected by the AT&T acquisition and the role may become obsolete. WHY ARE YOU EVEN INTERVIEWING FOR THE POSITION THEN? I wasn't offered the role, but even if I was, I would have declined. They need to clean up their act.

Interview Questions

• Describe an ambiguous situation you've been in and how you dealt with it. If you need to get the CEO's attention, how do you do that if you have a priority that needs to get accomplished? What are your three greatest strengths and three greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an interview opportunity one or two weeks later. And it was on the phone with the recruiter. The process went well. Some questions were asked based on my resume and other questions were all management skill testing. The overall process went well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us one of the most difficult tasks you encountered and how did you completed it in a short time   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Revenue Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Initial communication revolved an email and then phone interview with a HR representative. The phone interview lasted between 20 and 30 minutes. If you do well you go in for an in person interview.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I have given interview for a contract position. Questions asked are: First round and second round(telephonic)- Q. how to check processes status -ps or ps -f Q how to copy file to remote system -scp(for secure shell connection) and rcp(for remote host) Q How do you find last modified file? - ls -ltr| head -1 Q How to find file which has not been modified in last three days? Q.About Vi editor - Q If you type your URL and page shows error what would you do? -check internet connection -check whether server is up or not Qhow do you write script in unix/linux - i said i will use shebang construct #! /bin/bash then write my commands insequence of execution and function and conditions, then save using .sh extension Q Difference between inner join and outer join -QWhat are web services? -Qdiff between soap and Rest and when would you which one Q What do you test in web services? .Qwhat is SOA? .Qdifference between delete,drop and truncate . Qdiff bet casting and multicasting .QExplain your role in your last project and environment . Qdiff between test plan and test case -QTest exit criteria . Qvideo files Face-to-face interview 4 leads each for half n hr and one test -commom questions would be -tell me abut yourself -to explain your projects -web services diff between rest , soap and soa -waterfall, agile and v model -they will ask you to write sql queries -how to find 3 days old file using unix/linux command(ask to write on paper) -multicasting and casting 4th Lead -has asked general questions -wud you be comfortable joining a broadcasting company - 3 quizz -one 7 balls -6 same weight and one heavy -bucket 3 gallon and 5 gallon -three box apple only, orange only and third box apple and orange both - Test(-40-45 mins) many ques on unix and linux command -how to run a shell script -how to stop a shell script -cron -ls -grep -list commands u know -sql query ques -list sql commands u know -find error in xml using its xsd(xml schema definition) -find bugs in a service response -write 10 test case for a given scenarios -2 brain teasors -one was u have 7 balls , 6 same weight and 1 diff weight(heavier) and a beam balance how would you find the heavy ball in least steps(generally they ask for 2) - other one has four squares and 4 numbers in each squares and depending on the relation bet numbers in other squares u have to find missing number

Hardware Validation Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 different supervisors. It wasn't a technical interview per se, just a personality interview asking a few questions about your background. There was only one technical question they asked.

Interview Questions

• None really. Just review your technical basics depending on your background.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Just a Offer Letter.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Reached out through campus recruiting event. Got an on-site interview invitation two days after. Went the scheduled interview in 2 weeks. Supposed to be a panel interview but only one principal engineer made it. Lasted for 1 hour. Casual conversation. Got the offer a week later. The on-boarding process did take some time. I interviewed in March, finished the whole HR communication stuff early June.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about network system in terms of media delivery?   1 Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

This is the worst place to interview at. The managers are eager to say negative things upfront while interviewing therefore it is hard to keep a positive face while interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Ask questions that have no relevance to the job. If you had a genie, what would you ask for? I honestly had to stare at him to compose myself if he meant work related or work   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up an interview in person at their headquarters in El Segundo. Interview was short (less than 30minutes) and followed by a test of basic questions concerning bugs and how to create a test plan.

Interview Questions

• What do you put in a bug report?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

There were a group interview with three people. The questions were not very difficult. There were no technical questions. They asked mostly about the stuff on my resume. They seemed to be not very serious. In the end, they asked some random questions to see how I though, questions such as list all the possible uses of a paper clip that you can think of. They never replied emails afterwards, nit even at least bother to tell you that you did not get the offer. Company structure is not clear.