DIRECTV Interview Questions in El Segundo, CA

2.8

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DIRECTV in August 2014.

I have given interview for a contract position.

Questions asked are:

First round and second round(telephonic)-

Q. how to check processes status
    -ps or ps -f

Q how to copy file to remote system
    -scp(for secure shell connection) and rcp(for remote host)

Q How do you find last modified file?
    - ls -ltr| head -1

Q How to find file which has not been modified in last three days?

Q.About Vi editor
    Q If you type your URL and page shows error what would you do?
    -check internet connection
    -check whether server is up or not

Qhow do you write script in unix/linux
    - i said i will use shebang construct #! /bin/bash then write my commands insequence of execution and function and conditions, then save using .sh extension

Q Difference between inner join and outer join

-QWhat are web services?
    -Qdiff between soap and Rest and when would you which one
    Q What do you test in web services?
    .Qwhat is SOA?
    .Qdifference between delete,drop and truncate
    . Qdiff bet casting and multicasting
    .QExplain your role in your last project and environment
    . Qdiff between test plan and test case
    -QTest exit criteria
    . Qvideo files

Face-to-face interview

4 leads each for half n hr and one test

-commom questions would be
    -tell me abut yourself
    -to explain your projects
    -web services diff between rest , soap and soa
    -waterfall, agile and v model
    -they will ask you to write sql queries
    -how to find 3 days old file using unix/linux command(ask to write on paper)
    -multicasting and casting

4th Lead
    -has asked general questions
    -wud you be comfortable joining a broadcasting company
    - 3 quizz
    -one 7 balls -6 same weight and one heavy
    -bucket 3 gallon and 5 gallon
    -three box apple only, orange only and third box apple and orange both

Test(-40-45 mins)

many ques on unix and linux command

-how to run a shell script
    -how to stop a shell script
    -cron
    -ls
    -grep
    -list commands u know
    -sql query ques
    -list sql commands u know
    -find error in xml using its xsd(xml schema definition)
    -find bugs in a service response
    -write 10 test case for a given scenarios
    -2 brain teasors
        -one was u have 7 balls , 6 same weight and 1 diff weight(heavier) and a beam balance how would you find the heavy ball in least steps(generally they ask for 2)
       - other one has four squares and 4 numbers in each squares and depending on the relation bet numbers in other squares u have to find missing number

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at DIRECTV in March 2011.

HR process is very slow and takes a long time to make a decision. HR is not very responsive. Had to go through 3 in person interviews and the whole process took over a month before getting an offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at DIRECTV in March 2014.

Reached out through campus recruiting event. Got an on-site interview invitation two days after. Went the scheduled interview in 2 weeks. Supposed to be a panel interview but only one principal engineer made it. Lasted for 1 hour. Casual conversation. Got the offer a week later. The on-boarding process did take some time. I interviewed in March, finished the whole HR communication stuff early June.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about network system in terms of media delivery?   View Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at DIRECTV in January 2014.

This is the worst place to interview at. The managers are eager to say negative things upfront while interviewing therefore it is hard to keep a positive face while interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Ask questions that have no relevance to the job. If you had a genie, what would you ask for? I honestly had to stare at him to compose myself if he meant work related or work   Answer Question

IT Senior Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DIRECTV in February 2012.

Interview with staffing agency on basic Problem Mgmt activities, ITIL terms and concepts
    Interview in person with hiring manager on experience achievements and expectations
    interview with team members on problem management, problem solving, and communications skills

Interview Questions
    • a coin dropped inside a shopping mall
      what is your approach to find it?
        Answer Question

Senior Human Resource Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at DIRECTV in January 2012.

Very unorganized. Interviewers were late and unprepared. Only 1 of 4 looked at my resume prior, and actually told me so. I was horrified. No one really could describe the position, or actually knew what Group or Division I would be supporting, which was just unacceptable. Had I not really needed a job, I would have walked out at this point. How can a Fortune 500 company have an HR and Recruiting Department that is not trained and so unorganized and ineffective? Wow...I was stunned! FYI, I did get an offer, as I said, I needed a job. After accepting, and hoping to try to make things better, I realized it was near to impossible to do so, and started looking elsewhere and found a job that was much more suited to my professional needs and not one that was stuck in the 1970's...

Interview Questions
    • This is a tough place to work if you have not heard. Why would you want to work here?   Answer Question
    Recruiter was not prepared either, and said they were understaffed and overworked. Said she apologized as she did not get any onboarding training, and was left to figure things out by herself, as there was noone there to help her!!!

Executive Compensation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at DIRECTV in September 2013.

Very poor recruiting process. Was specifically recruited by DIRECTV for this job and never had the courtesy of an email or phone response despite repeated follow-ups. DIRECTV does not "get" that applicants are also customers. Recruiters need to be held accountable, especially when the applicant can clearly perform against all standards. I've switched from DIRECTV for this reason.

Interview Questions
    • Could not even get a response from their recruiter. Very unprofessional.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DIRECTV.

There were a group interview with three people. The questions were not very difficult. There were no technical questions. They asked mostly about the stuff on my resume. They seemed to be not very serious. In the end, they asked some random questions to see how I though, questions such as list all the possible uses of a paper clip that you can think of. They never replied emails afterwards, nit even at least bother to tell you that you did not get the offer. Company structure is not clear.

Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DIRECTV in March 2013.

Applied through college job portal. Received a call from IT Director within a week for the interview. Interview went for around 30 mins. In general resume walkthrough and some basic questions about Data Modeling and SDLC.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between MS Visio and IBM Rational Modeler (formerly called Rational Rose) ?   View Answer
    Since I was being asked to relocate, I asked for a relocation compensation and recieved a generous one!

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at DIRECTV in September 2009.

This was a long time ago when the employees were nice and professional -- Submitted my online application six months before I received a phone call from recruiter. The recruiter asked how much I was currently getting paid. He arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was invited to interview with each team member. Very informal and relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • How do you know the date of the data on the database?   View Answer
    No negotiation. I accepted. We agreed.

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!