DIRECTV

2.8

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV in August 2014.

I have given interview for a contract position.

Questions asked are:

First round and second round(telephonic)-

Q. how to check processes status
    -ps or ps -f

Q how to copy file to remote system
    -scp(for secure shell connection) and rcp(for remote host)

Q How do you find last modified file?
    - ls -ltr| head -1

Q How to find file which has not been modified in last three days?

Q.About Vi editor
    Q If you type your URL and page shows error what would you do?
    -check internet connection
    -check whether server is up or not

Qhow do you write script in unix/linux
    - i said i will use shebang construct #! /bin/bash then write my commands insequence of execution and function and conditions, then save using .sh extension

Q Difference between inner join and outer join

-QWhat are web services?
    -Qdiff between soap and Rest and when would you which one
    Q What do you test in web services?
    .Qwhat is SOA?
    .Qdifference between delete,drop and truncate
    . Qdiff bet casting and multicasting
    .QExplain your role in your last project and environment
    . Qdiff between test plan and test case
    -QTest exit criteria
    . Qvideo files

Face-to-face interview

4 leads each for half n hr and one test

-commom questions would be
    -tell me abut yourself
    -to explain your projects
    -web services diff between rest , soap and soa
    -waterfall, agile and v model
    -they will ask you to write sql queries
    -how to find 3 days old file using unix/linux command(ask to write on paper)
    -multicasting and casting

4th Lead
    -has asked general questions
    -wud you be comfortable joining a broadcasting company
    - 3 quizz
    -one 7 balls -6 same weight and one heavy
    -bucket 3 gallon and 5 gallon
    -three box apple only, orange only and third box apple and orange both

Test(-40-45 mins)

many ques on unix and linux command

-how to run a shell script
    -how to stop a shell script
    -cron
    -ls
    -grep
    -list commands u know
    -sql query ques
    -list sql commands u know
    -find error in xml using its xsd(xml schema definition)
    -find bugs in a service response
    -write 10 test case for a given scenarios
    -2 brain teasors
        -one was u have 7 balls , 6 same weight and 1 diff weight(heavier) and a beam balance how would you find the heavy ball in least steps(generally they ask for 2)
       - other one has four squares and 4 numbers in each squares and depending on the relation bet numbers in other squares u have to find missing number

Hardware Validation Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at DIRECTV in April 2014.

Interviewed with 2 different supervisors. It wasn't a technical interview per se, just a personality interview asking a few questions about your background. There was only one technical question they asked.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Just review your technical basics depending on your background.   Answer Question
    None. Just a Offer Letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DIRECTV in March 2014.

Reached out through campus recruiting event. Got an on-site interview invitation two days after. Went the scheduled interview in 2 weeks. Supposed to be a panel interview but only one principal engineer made it. Lasted for 1 hour. Casual conversation. Got the offer a week later. The on-boarding process did take some time. I interviewed in March, finished the whole HR communication stuff early June.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about network system in terms of media delivery?   View Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DIRECTV in January 2014.

This is the worst place to interview at. The managers are eager to say negative things upfront while interviewing therefore it is hard to keep a positive face while interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Ask questions that have no relevance to the job. If you had a genie, what would you ask for? I honestly had to stare at him to compose myself if he meant work related or work   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at DIRECTV.

There were a group interview with three people. The questions were not very difficult. There were no technical questions. They asked mostly about the stuff on my resume. They seemed to be not very serious. In the end, they asked some random questions to see how I though, questions such as list all the possible uses of a paper clip that you can think of. They never replied emails afterwards, nit even at least bother to tell you that you did not get the offer. Company structure is not clear.

Executive Compensation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at DIRECTV in September 2013.

Very poor recruiting process. Was specifically recruited by DIRECTV for this job and never had the courtesy of an email or phone response despite repeated follow-ups. DIRECTV does not "get" that applicants are also customers. Recruiters need to be held accountable, especially when the applicant can clearly perform against all standards. I've switched from DIRECTV for this reason.

Interview Questions
    • Could not even get a response from their recruiter. Very unprofessional.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at DIRECTV.

Scheduled onsite meeting with HR and meet group in person a week later

Interview Questions
    • They only asked basic algorithm questions. But, the group used Java, they asked a lot of concepts.   View Answer

Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at DIRECTV in July 2013.

I interviewed onsite with the group responsible for collecting and displaying data to the interactive TV program guide. Part one was a group Q & A with the team lead and 3 other engineers. They asked me about my experiences (e.g. with various technologies, a difficult situation, a technical challenge, etc.). Part two was a written exam, soliciting brief explanations and code snippets to demonstrate facility with the various required technologies. They left me to it in a closed room; an hour later I handed them a completed exam and a pencil sans eraser (it's been a while since I wrote code with one).

I actually really liked the format. Most companies have you interview serially, one interviewer at a time (which I find prone to redundancy). Each typically has you solve a problem on a whiteboard under a watchful eye (which can be unduly stressful). In contrast, the DirecTV interview tests your ability to communicate in a group but write code in private -- both of which I think are better tests of real life working conditions. I also liked the focus on applied technologies. (You'd think this would be more common than, say, testing one's ability to reverse strings or recursively traverse binary trees).

Be that as it may, I lost interest when I asked about the software engineering processes they employed to ensure code quality. Their answer was that they had a QA staff. That was it. I asked about code reviews, unit tests, coding standards, static analysis tools, etc. The answer was an across-the-board no. That may be liberating for some, but for me it was a red flag.

Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at DIRECTV in March 2013.

Applied through college job portal. Received a call from IT Director within a week for the interview. Interview went for around 30 mins. In general resume walkthrough and some basic questions about Data Modeling and SDLC.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between MS Visio and IBM Rational Modeler (formerly called Rational Rose) ?   View Answer
    Since I was being asked to relocate, I asked for a relocation compensation and recieved a generous one!

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DIRECTV in September 2012.

Very easy going.
    It was oddly straightforward.
    I got a phone call that they were interested in my skill set.
    I was then connected to someone in HR who connected me to a department head.
    A phone interview later... I was told to come in and offered the job about 15 minutes into a 1 on 1 conversation.

Very easy.