DISH

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at DISH.

Interview Details – We'll I worked for this company previously and reacquainted with a former colleague. Typically, testing is required and its fairly easy.

Interview Question – Do you know excel? Ugh, yes.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room...$45 was proposed, then I asked for $55, and $50 as final offer.

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DISH.

Interview Details – Way to many levels of interviews. It is possible to interview all the way to VP level just get get a front-line manager position which is symptomatic of a problem culture. The least interaction during the interviews came from the manger that I was going to work for which did not make sense. He seemed desperate to fill a position and the higher-ups were more concerned with details. The computer tests did not seem to match the requirements or job skills needed to do well in this position. The process took way to long to get onboard and it gives plenty of time to reconsider and back out.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Dish?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everything was set in place, take it or leave it.

Marietta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at DISH in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a regional HR rep for a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard with questions about my resume and prior experience. The position (including compensation and benefits) was explained in detail and I was asked if I would like to be considered to continue the process. I was told that my info would be passed on to the General Manager and that they would let me know if they wanted me to come in for a one on one.

About 10 days later the HR rep called and requested an interview on-site. Upon arrival, I had to take a couple of tests (Wonderlic and another). The computer that these tests are taken on could use an upgrade but after a work-around, the HR rep was able to make it work.

Once the assessments were complete, I met with the General Manager. He was a very personable manager and seemed to have a strong grasp on this facility. He came up through the ranks as an entry-level employee and worked up to his current position. The questions were pretty standard and nothing out of the ordinary. He had a sheet of questions to ask and it seemed that to have an interview scheduled every hour. In the interview, he mentioned that they had to interview a certain number of people.

After asking me questions, he took me on a tour of the facility and went over the expectations of the position. He was very clear about what is expected. He explained that the facility is open 365 days a year and that my schedule would be Tues-Sat with the hours fluctuating. He expects the OM to close two nights a week (which could be anytime from 6p-12am depending on the jobs) and to open the other days. Starting out, your get one week off in the first year and then two the next. I would be going from a position where I have three weeks a year and am in a more senior position. The benefits seemed substantial and the company offers free Dish service after your probationary period. They also offer tuition reimbursement up to a certain amount.

Although I didn't receive an offer, I would not have taken this position because it wasn't right for me at the time. 10 years ago I would have jumped at it and maybe in another 10 years I would do the same. With a newborn on the way, I don't think the work-life balance would have been the right fit.

Interview Question – What have you done in the last year to save your current company money?   Answer Question

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at DISH in May 2013.

Interview Details – Step 1: On-line application followed by a Wonderlic test.
Step 2: phone interview that lasted about 40 minutes with a recruiter from corporate. We discussed my resume and the Ops Mgr position. Typical interview questions included 'why are you interested in the position?' and questions about my management experience. After the phone interview I received another email informing me that they are going forward with the interview process and there was a link to more testing. This time the testing was GMAT type questions (math and reading comprehension) and a bit more challanging.
Step 3: physical interview with location manager on site. Again two more rounds of tesing. An hour long test involving more readiing comprehension (challanging) followed by another Wonderlic. After the testing the interview started. It was a one-on-one interview in which I was again asked about my management experience. I came prepared with a list of questions and the interview turned into the interviewee interviewing the interviewer. Nevertheless, we didnt really click and considering we would be working together and he would be my boss, I knew right away that I wasnt interested and considered calling it a wrap, but went on for the simple experience. I gave the manager all the opportunity to answer the tough questions; why was Dish voted 2012's worst company to work for? And, what changes has Dish/you personally made to improve on that stigma? His answer was this: 'former associates now have a forum (in the web) to display their complaints and they were likely the lower performers" and he quoted the founder of Dish saying something similar to 'people either perform, or they dont fit wel in the company'. So you can read between the lines there. Oh, and as to what he has done to make Dish better, "reduce staffing to only 2 (out of 12) associates on Thanksgiving, Chirstmas, and New Year's Day. At that point it was almost commical to me. This is 2013 correct? So it ended well and he said that Dish will email me either way letting me know if they are interested, the recruitor told me that as well. Notifying applicants is part of their process, and athough I certainly appreciate that, its nothing to hang your hat on, so to speak.
About the position...the manager told me that they arrive at the office between 6-6:30 and the days ends around 7-8pm. Benefits were typical corporate, but I was told that vacation was 5 days the first year and 10 the second. Yikes! I now understand why Dish was voted the worst company to work for in 2012 and if I am offered a contract I will politely decline. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Interview Question – Standardized testing; percentages, reading comprehension, Wonderlic   Answer Question

Englewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DISH in August 2009.

Interview Details – My interview process took a couple of weeks. I first received a call from the Hiring Manager and asked me to come in to meet with their Human Resources manager.

Interview Question – The questions we're realtive to the postion. I was asked how I handled previous employees.   Answer Question

Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at DISH in April 2010.

Interview Details – Initially received the phone interview with the HR rep, who was very friendly and seemed to be very involved in the hiring, but I later found out he wasn't, he was basically just relaying information. Took the online 4 tests, then another test before the face to face interview. The face to face interview went well, nothing too out of the ordinary. The employees here also expressed alot of issues with the time system, and how strict the company is on putting in time. I frequently put in 50-60 hours, so the hours requirement doesn't bother me, but the strict times of day seem odd for salaried employees.

Interview Question – Name three of your major weaknesses.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Based on the employees feedback on the management and the lower than industry average salaries.

Interviews for Top Jobs at DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH Operations Manager interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by DISH employees and interview candidates.