DJO Global

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at DJO Global in January 2009.

Interview Details – First, there was a phone screen as with most companies. They asked general questions and told me to brush up on my statics skills as there would be a technical part to the interview. Then, they set up a date and time for an in-person interview.

When I arrived for the in-person interview I went in with the first person I was to meet. I saw an itinerary on their screen. The interview was going to be 4 hours long! This is not unusual, however it would have been nice to have a heads up and to receive the itinerary beforehand, which I never did so I was unaware of how long I would be there or how many people I would be meeting with. For the next 4 hours, I was bounced around between members of the department, each one testing me on a different area of knowledge from past experience to statics knowledge to having me draw a stress-strain diagram and then one person asked me about my leadership skills. It ended with the last person (after I was already worn out) giving me what I refer to as a final exam. They handed me about 4 sheets of paper each with a different engineering problem on them and these were not your general ok you can walk through it problems, these were complicated. As I walked the interviewer through my thought process and what I knew all he seemed to care about was whether or not I could remember the exact specific formulas. Most of us engineers know how many formulas we learn throughout the course of school and I was surprised I was expected to remember them all.

The hiring manager kept telling me how they were having a difficult time finding candidates that had both the people skills they were looking for as well as the technical knowledge they wanted and I completely understood why they were still searching after the interview. My advice is to only apply here if you have an excellent memory, because even me saying that I realized I did not remember, but I knew how to approach it and could do the problem with reference material was not enough for them. The people seemed nice, but I left feeling horrible about myself and doubting my abilities.

Interview Questions

• I remember one question was about a mass on a spring within a larger box and the larger box was falling. The interviewer wanted to know the g forces on the smaller mass.   Answer Question
  • Draw a stress-strain diagram   Answer Question
  • The interviewer drew a diagram of a knee on the board and asked me to draw all the forces on the knee as the person walked.   Answer Question

Worked for DJO Global? Contribute to the Community!