DOE Joint Genome Institute Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at DOE Joint Genome Institute

Bioinformatics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DOE Joint Genome Institute in May 2014.

Went through DOE HR people via email - took a phone interview later that week, and to my consternation 2:30 means 5:30 EST, so that left me with some extra prep time to review their site and my credentials

Interview Questions
    • Why did you switch from studying microbiology to bioinformatics?
      Your work involves human cancer and we deal with microbial and fungal genomes. Are you sure this will interest you?
        View Answer

Software Developer, Production Informatics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DOE Joint Genome Institute.

Only basic Java competence is necessary. Could be a first programming job for a recent graduate. Applicants will be asked to write simple Java programs on the whiteboard. Logical soundness of code (pseudo code) is stressed. Little importance placed on precise syntax.

Interview Questions
    • Find the unique set of characters in a string and find the count of each.   View Answer
    No negotiation possible. Some candidates were not interviewed because salary expectations were too high.

Systems Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at DOE Joint Genome Institute in August 2011.

Application was submitted online. A phone interview followed. I was asked to fly in to give a presentation and for a full day of 1:1 interview with different group leaders, individuals and finally HR. The kind of questions span the full spectrum. The questions asked actually reflect the kind of issues that the interviewers have to address in their jobs. It was most fun when the discussion moved toward applied research and new area development.

Interview Questions
    I was only able to negotiate my salary to be above the median rather than entry level for the designation. There is a range that HR adheres with. So, be sure of your finance balance so that you know when you have to walk away.

Worked for DOE Joint Genome Institute? Contribute to the Community!