DRW Trading Assistant Trader Interview Questions

Updated Dec 28, 2014
Updated Dec 28, 2014

3.5

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

they treated us very well, took us out to a steakhouse the night before to talk with some of the traders and then grilled us on Saturday with 4 back to back interviews. the interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions, why trading etc, along with a few math questions in each. some interviews were nicer people some of them were tougher. the hardest part was a mock trading game and the group project where you basically had to build the tallest tower that could support heavy objects out of just paper and tape.

Interview Questions

• no hard questions really, just some mental math (i.e. whats 17 * 22, what is that answer * 5, what is the sum of those digits). however you have to remember those numbers you say as they will ask you one question then spend 10 minutes asking behavioral questions, then all of a sudden ask you to multiply the last number you said by 5.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for DRW Trading

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DRW Trading in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewed on campus. Response turnaround time is very quick. There is a group dinner the day before the interview -- just to get to know the company, learn about the things they do, and meet the interviewers.

Interview starts off with soft questions and then progresses to probability questions (calculating expected value) and mental arithmetic with 2 digit numbers.

Interviewer is rather helpful and lets you think out loud through all the questions. Provides some help if you're stuck.

Interview Questions

• I call out a number. You can then call out a number up to 8 greater than the number I called. Take turns simultaneously calling numbers in this way. The person who hits 50 first wins.   1 Answer

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

1st round: Phone – easy going, nice guy, normal trading interview

Mostly behavioral –
    1. Why trading?
    competitive
    fast paced
    etc.
    2. When have you been competitive?
    3. How did you gage success in [picked one] experience on resume?

Technical question... kind of –
    1. Game:
    -winner says the number [any number, n] – goal is to beat the interviewer
    -take turns adding [specified range] to previous number
    -interviewer starts

-must construct a winning sequence of personal choices that positions yourself to win:
    = {n, n-max(range), n - max(range) - max(range), ..., 0}

2. What order would you prefer to choose?
    -second unless winning sequence starts [ordinal] within the range of numbers to add.
    ––––––––––––––––––

Waiting to hear back for second round. It went well so I expect to.

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

The HR dpt is quite reactive and listen to its employee's referrals usually. I was contacted right after sending my resume to an employee to set up a phone interview (45min). Then, they would invite you to Chicago for longer interviews.

Interview Questions

• YOu have $1M. How would you like to invest them?   1 Answer
    • You have a Portfolio with Delta=50. How would you hedge it?   1 Answer
    • Would you preferred to be staffed in Electronic Trading or Floor Trading?   Answer Question
    • I have $1M on hands. You're invited to a gangling game. Tails: Payoff: twice you bet (if you bet $1, you will get $2+ your bet). Heads= you lose your bet. How much would you bet (it's a one-off gamble, no second chance).   5 Answers

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at DRW Trading (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

There was a casual meet and greet the night before where candidates met with their possible interviewers and asked whatever remaining questions they had. The interview was 30 minutes long. It was mostly background questions and fit questions, why you want to be a trader. I was expecting brain teasers but was surprised that I got none. One question on investing in markets. They were very nice but the interview did not result in an offer.

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2010.

Interview

They seem to be very proud of their unique culture in that they do not see themselves as a company that is quick to fire people. They talk a lot about their emphasis on educating their employees. I had a first roud half hour interview that consisted of some fit questions and a couple of brainteasers. I was encouraged to do these problems without a pen and paper, though I was allowed to if I needed to do so.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 6-sided cube that has a unique color on each side (6 different colors), how many possible combinations of unique cubes are there?   4 Answers

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

I would describe this interview as a poker game. The interviewer gave me a 1000 bucks (imaginary) at the start. He asked me a bunch of questions ranging from oral math to probability. He would ask me to bet money on my answers. I wasn't allowed to write, everything should be inside my brain. They really test your mental ability for the interview. There was only one question on probability which he twisted around with different cases.

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Began with a couple simple standard questions about my resume, then asked about 20 minutes worth of increasingly difficult quatitative questions, mostly probabilities. One question was how many poker hands can make 4 of a kind. Overall it was a very stressful experience, but the interviewer was very nice.

Interview Questions

• How many 5 card poker hands are there that make 4 of a kind.   2 Answers

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

First round was a phone interview with basic math and probability questions. Second round was 4 40 minute interviews ranging between drawing out options payoffs as well as brain teasers and personality fit. There is also a group interview with about 5 other people. They also play a trading game with a deck of cards to see your bid/ask perception.

Interview Questions

• What is the expected value of rolling two dice?   9 Answers

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DRW Trading (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

1st round: brain teasers, mental Math problems, behavioral questions, 1:1
    2nd round: pretty much the same stuff, but more intense (5 rounds of 1:1). They also bring you to some social activities.
    Nice office, and majority of the interviewers were friendly and approachable.

Interview Questions

• What is the expected value of a deck of cards?   5 Answers