DSW Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

2.5

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I got the email notification that I was being considered for the position a few days after applying on line. I received a phone call from the Store manager to set up an interview about 2 weeks after the email. The interview was for 8 am and I got there early. I got a call from the SM saying she had to push back out meeting an hour later. I rolled with it. The interview was casual and pleasant, she really tried to get to know me and my values. It went well and was a positive experience. As I was driving home the SM called me to schedule a second interview with her DM and talked about money too. The next interview was scheduled for 4 days later in the late afternoon. I got a call from the SM asking me to reschedule because the DM had an emergency. Ok...I was flexible and willing to travel to the district office to accommodate the DM.. 62 miles from my home. I got to that interview a fee minutes early and had a nice chat with a store employee. When the DM brought me into her office she was fiddling with her printer for a few minutes and had her back to me...odd. She finally turned around and asked me about myself while she read my resume. Asked why I wanted to leave current job and I was very diplomatic and careful not to disparage the company. She tried to dig deeper and kept asking me to be more specific, saying she wasn't understanding. Then she didn't seem to like my career change reasons and by then I knew it wasn't going well. Got a rejection letter 5 hours later.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for DSW

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

Applied online, invited to do personality questionnaire. After two weeks phone interview was set up with store manager after the phone screen had in person interview with store manager. That went well so 2nd interview with another store manager. A week later Store Manager called to set up interview with DM. A week later background authorization came in email. Store manager called to say offer will be made after background check comes thru.

Interview Questions

• how do you create a work environment that the team wants to be involved in?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I gave the my salary requirements and they met them

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

The interview went south immediately. I was waiting in the lobby for 45 minutes and as soon as we went to the back to review my resume, the manager began to talk down on my credentials with complete disrespect. She Interrupted me every 20 seconds when she proposed scenarios of what I would do if a certain situation was to occur. Very distasteful with the way she presented store as a whole and the clearance floor was completely disheveled. I wouldn't advise anyone to work with this store manager for Nanuet. Not to mention, the operations room was completely in an upheaval.

Interview Questions

• Q. What would be a solution if the woman's shoe section was completely untidy, a mother lost her children, and the checkout line is moving extremely slower than normal all at once?   Answer Question
    • Q: What would you do to improve the UPT? (Units Per Transaction)   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at DSW in July 2015.

Interview

I had a total of three interviews. I applied for the assistant manger position at two locations - I had one interview with a store manager, then one with the district manager. After the position was filled for the 1st location, I was then interviewed by the store manager at the 2nd location. All interviews went very well - all of the staff I encountered were kind and seemed to know what they were looking for in a candidate. The two interviews with the store managers were in the break room, and the district manager interview was over the phone. The questions were both situation based as well as more broader questions regarding personality, work style preferences, and qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that others would say you are more reserved or outgoing?   Answer Question
    • If you notice an employee is not promoting the rewards program to customers, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DSW in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with Store Manager in-store. It was a very relaxed atmosphere without pressure. I did my research on the company before the actual interview so it was very easy to discuss my strengths to complete the job per her and the companies description. Received phone call in one day stating there would be a second interview, over the phone, with the DM. After phone interview, had a second phone interview with another SM. this is not uncommon for upper management positions. It's all about consistency and getting a feel for the candidate. I never once felt overwhelmed by the interviewer or questions asked. Everyone was extremely passionate about what they do. It was a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• In your past experience, how was a leadership role structured and what were your responsibilities for growing your business?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Always state your desired salary. Know your own worth and don't be afraid to negotiate. Research the positions and the posted salaries and understand the pay scale associated with each.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DSW (Detroit, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

Long I had 3 interviews, it was with 3 different people in 2 different locations. I met with a manager who didn't manage the store I will be at and I met with the interim district manager.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you.   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I had two interviews. They went well. I was asked basic questions about my experience. Nothing out of the ordinary. I was told that the regional manager was out of town and would be back the following week. I was told that I would be interviewing with him. I never heard another word from them regarding the position either way.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

very fair. the company knows what they want and will dig in deeply to find the right person. The company has individuals interview with multiple people in order to get a good read of the candidate.

moved

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

Basic questions to determine understanding of retail environment

Negotiation

no negotiation. My references spoke for themself

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DSW (Baltimore, MD) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview process is fairly easy. I originally applied to be a part time associate after setting up an online profile with the company. Dsw sent job notifications for openings in my area. When a position came available that interested me, I applied and received a call within a few days.