DSW Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at DSW.

The interview was very casual and fairy simple. I filled out an application and met with the store manager who asked me approximately 10 questions. She asked about my previous experience, why I wanted to work for DSW, what my availability was, salary requirements, goals. She asked me a few questions about customer service and how I would handle certain situations.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DSW in March 2015.

Easy going, the person who interview me was very friendly and made the interview very comfortable. they explain the company value and what is expected of you. They ask about some personal issues that might reflect on the job.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DSW in March 2015.

It took about two weeks to get called in to interview. Manager was very friendly and conversational. We went into the back room and talked. The interview was more like a conversation than an actual interview. She asked questions that I'd give answers to and then she'd respond as if we were just friends having a chat over lunch.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DSW.

I'll echo a few of the reviews on here already. Very disorganized and the experience left me with a negative view of the company. 5 interviews for 2 separate assistant positions. I will say that the store managers I met with were all very nice and knowlegeable. The district manager in one case, not so much. I've never actually been offended in an interview until DSW. First, she was 25 minutes late for a phone interview. In the end, I was as unimpressed by her as she was with me.

I took both time off and a step back in my career for a few years to raise my children when they were young. I was very honest about this. I did not feel that a company that prides itself on work/life balance would have an issue with that decision. I went from a store manager to a merchandising coordinator in a better company. I then took a few years off. The district manager asked me, "Why would you ever think that was a good move?" I was asked the exact same questions by the DM that I was already asked by the store managers. At the end of the interview, I asked when the company would be making a decision. The answer was, "Probably sometime in January." This was in December. Never heard a word or even got so much as a rejection email.

A second DSW store called in the meantime. Much better experience and the DM actually took the time to meet with me personally. I felt the interview went well and spoke with both the store manager and the DM for well over an hour. Honestly, by the end of the conversation, I felt like I had the job. At least in this case, they sent the rejection email within a week. However, after 2 rejections, I did want to find out if there was something specific about my resume or my verbal interview that resulted in the company going with another candidate. I left 2 messages for the store manager. I did not get the courtesy of a return phone call.

In both cases, not a single phone call was made to check a reference or to contact my current employer. I'll say the same thing as another candidate on here - I certainly don't expect to get every job I interview for, but when a candidate gives you their time and their energy, you should at least be willing to have the difficult conversation, even when it's awkward and uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a difficult situation with an employee and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DSW.

Took about 2 weeks after submitting application, got a call for an interview. Very basic and short, then recieved a call that day with an offer for the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DSW.

Received a call for an interview within a few days after filling out online questionnaire. The questionnaire was long and repetitive. Received a call from the store manager within a few days.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harahan, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Harahan, LA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DSW in February 2015.

Was called at 5 pm the day before the Interview. I was told that the DM had came across my application and she would like to meet me. I went in for 1:30 the next day, we sat right out in the show room. She stopped the Interview 4 times to watch the floor.There was 2 other employees there the whole time.
     We talked and she told me that the full-time position I had applied for was being filled internally. But I could work part-time. I explained to her that when I spoke to the DM ,that I was traveling a ways and it wouldn't be beneficial for me to come there for anything but Full-time.

It didn't seem to bother her, but when I told her ,I couldn't work part-time ...I got an email before I made it to my car, saying the full-time position was filled .
    I feel my time was wasted.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a disgruntled customer ?

Why do you want to work here ?

Where is your favorite place to shop ?

Where is your least favorite place to shop ?

Answer Question

Co-Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DSW.

I applied for a Co-Manager (CM) position with DSW and received an e-mail requesting an interview the very next morning! The Store Manager (SM) was very willing to work with my then current employer's schedule and the 1st interview took place 3 days later. I arrived 15 minutes early but the interview started late due to unforeseen circumstances on the SM's part. During the interview, the SM was very professional yet personable. The SM asked the typical questions you would expect for such a position. She asked about future career goals which I appreciated because she went on to express that there were opportunities for growth within the company. The interview lasted 1.5 hour and ended with a request for a 2nd interview with the District Manager (DM). Overall, I left the 1st interview feeling 100% confident that I would get the position and enjoy working with the SM.

A few days after the 1st interview, I received an e-mail stating a time and location for the 2nd interview with the DM that would take place the next day. This was a little inconvenient for my current employer but I made it work. I arrived 10 minutes early to the interview which also started a little later the the requested time. The 2nd interview with the DM was a little more nerve-wrecking. The DM was pretty straightforward about what he was looking to accomplish with the new CM hire. He was also less personable. He questioned, with a doubtful tone, my qualifications and ability to excel at the position I was interviewing for but followed up with expressing interest in hiring me for a lesser position that they would make available along with the possibility of progressing towards the CM position later. Initially, I processed this a bit of a confidence killer but it ended up transpiring into more of a challenge as I gave it more thought throughout the interview. It was very obvious that the DM was very knowledgeable and worked his way up from where I would be starting, something to be appreciated. After discussing both positions opportunities, we discussed pay. The pay scale between both positions was significantly different (-14k) with one being hourly and the other salary but the benefits were the same. Ultimately, I left the 2nd interview less confident about acquiring the position I initially interviewed for and knowing that instead I would be offered the lesser. I was notified about a decision 2 days later and my conclusion from the 2nd interview was confirmed however I was reassured that there was a strong possibility of a promotion to CM within 6 months given that I perform well.

The interview and hire process took a total of 10 days from the date that I submitted an application and resume. It was a positive experience and resulted in employment with a set start date that would allow me to resign from my previous employer in a professional manner and roll right into the new position with DSW (I can't afford to go without income for too long).

My relevant/retail background: 3 years of retail/sales experience, 3 years public relations/marketing experience, 1.5 years creative display/visual merchandising experience, 1 year of retail management experience, and a BA in Advertising from a public ivy (a combined studies of public relations, journalism, marketing)

Interview Questions
    • As previously mention, during the 2nd interview the DM questioned, with a doubtful tone, my qualifications and ability to excel at the position I was interviewing for but followed up with expressing interest in hiring me for a lesser position with the possibility of progressing towards the CM position. Initially, I processed this a bit of a confidence killer but it ended up transpiring into more of a challenge as I gave it more thought throughout the interview.   Answer Question
    My only regret is that I did not attempt to negotiate pay for the lesser position because I now believe that there was some wiggle room to do so. Lesson learned.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DSW.

I was called in for a group interview. There were about 5 other people and we all sat together and took turns answering the interviewer's questions. The questions weren't very difficult and the atmosphere was light hearted. The questions are mostly "what would you do in this situation" types, but feel free taking your time to plan out your response.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you what your favorite type of shoe is so have a funny answer prepared.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DSW in February 2015.

Overall it was good interviews there was two . One with assistant manager and one with store Manager. Both were really didn't make me feel nervous. I really thought I got the job. But it was clear to see they were unorgnaized at that location. I believe that's the reason why I didnt get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you dealt with a difficult customer ? Why do you want to work here? ( average interview questions)   Answer Question