DSW Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DSW (Folsom, CA).

Interview

Took about 2 weeks after submitting application, got a call for an interview. Very basic and short, then recieved a call that day with an offer for the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DSW.

Interview

Received a call for an interview within a few days after filling out online questionnaire. The questionnaire was long and repetitive. Received a call from the store manager within a few days.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harahan, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DSW (Harahan, LA) in February 2015.

Interview

Was called at 5 pm the day before the Interview. I was told that the DM had came across my application and she would like to meet me. I went in for 1:30 the next day, we sat right out in the show room. She stopped the Interview 4 times to watch the floor.There was 2 other employees there the whole time. We talked and she told me that the full-time position I had applied for was being filled internally. But I could work part-time. I explained to her that when I spoke to the DM ,that I was traveling a ways and it wouldn't be beneficial for me to come there for anything but Full-time. It didn't seem to bother her, but when I told her ,I couldn't work part-time ...I got an email before I made it to my car, saying the full-time position was filled . I feel my time was wasted.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a disgruntled customer ? Why do you want to work here ? Where is your favorite place to shop ? Where is your least favorite place to shop ?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DSW.

Interview

I was called in for a group interview. There were about 5 other people and we all sat together and took turns answering the interviewer's questions. The questions weren't very difficult and the atmosphere was light hearted. The questions are mostly "what would you do in this situation" types, but feel free taking your time to plan out your response.

Interview Questions

• They ask you what your favorite type of shoe is so have a funny answer prepared.   Answer Question

Co-Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DSW.

Interview

I applied for a Co-Manager (CM) position with DSW and received an e-mail requesting an interview the very next morning! The Store Manager (SM) was very willing to work with my then current employer's schedule and the 1st interview took place 3 days later. I arrived 15 minutes early but the interview started late due to unforeseen circumstances on the SM's part. During the interview, the SM was very professional yet personable. The SM asked the typical questions you would expect for such a position. She asked about future career goals which I appreciated because she went on to express that there were opportunities for growth within the company. The interview lasted 1.5 hour and ended with a request for a 2nd interview with the District Manager (DM). Overall, I left the 1st interview feeling 100% confident that I would get the position and enjoy working with the SM. A few days after the 1st interview, I received an e-mail stating a time and location for the 2nd interview with the DM that would take place the next day. This was a little inconvenient for my current employer but I made it work. I arrived 10 minutes early to the interview which also started a little later the the requested time. The 2nd interview with the DM was a little more nerve-wrecking. The DM was pretty straightforward about what he was looking to accomplish with the new CM hire. He was also less personable. He questioned, with a doubtful tone, my qualifications and ability to excel at the position I was interviewing for but followed up with expressing interest in hiring me for a lesser position that they would make available along with the possibility of progressing towards the CM position later. Initially, I processed this a bit of a confidence killer but it ended up transpiring into more of a challenge as I gave it more thought throughout the interview. It was very obvious that the DM was very knowledgeable and worked his way up from where I would be starting, something to be appreciated. After discussing both positions opportunities, we discussed pay. The pay scale between both positions was significantly different (-14k) with one being hourly and the other salary but the benefits were the same. Ultimately, I left the 2nd interview less confident about acquiring the position I initially interviewed for and knowing that instead I would be offered the lesser. I was notified about a decision 2 days later and my conclusion from the 2nd interview was confirmed however I was reassured that there was a strong possibility of a promotion to CM within 6 months given that I perform well. The interview and hire process took a total of 10 days from the date that I submitted an application and resume. It was a positive experience and resulted in employment with a set start date that would allow me to resign from my previous employer in a professional manner and roll right into the new position with DSW (I can't afford to go without income for too long). My relevant/retail background: 3 years of retail/sales experience, 3 years public relations/marketing experience, 1.5 years creative display/visual merchandising experience, 1 year of retail management experience, and a BA in Advertising from a public ivy (a combined studies of public relations, journalism, marketing)

Interview Questions

• As previously mention, during the 2nd interview the DM questioned, with a doubtful tone, my qualifications and ability to excel at the position I was interviewing for but followed up with expressing interest in hiring me for a lesser position with the possibility of progressing towards the CM position. Initially, I processed this a bit of a confidence killer but it ended up transpiring into more of a challenge as I gave it more thought throughout the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My only regret is that I did not attempt to negotiate pay for the lesser position because I now believe that there was some wiggle room to do so. Lesson learned.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DSW (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Overall it was good interviews there was two . One with assistant manager and one with store Manager. Both were really didn't make me feel nervous. I really thought I got the job. But it was clear to see they were unorgnaized at that location. I believe that's the reason why I didnt get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you dealt with a difficult customer ? Why do you want to work here? ( average interview questions)   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at DSW in February 2015.

Interview

typical interview process, everything was easy. interview was like any other retail place and asked basic interview question. Process was fast and easy and was called in a few days with job offer.

Java Developer Interview

Interview

Was a good Interview. You are on a game show. There are three doors, behind one of which is a prize and the other two is a chunk of coal, and the host knows which door holds the prize. You choose door?You are on a desert island, and all you have is a pair of dice. You know that a plane flies over the island on the 30th day of the month. Using the dice, how can you make a calendar that always tells…”

Dsw Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DSW.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email and we went back and forth setting up an interview time. I interviewed with the store manager. She was really nice and basically asked me different questions on why I would be a good employee. I guess she really liked my answers because she offered to pay me more then what was advertised.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I went in thinking it was going to be minimum wage but she offered more than that.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I had two interviews. They went well. I was asked basic questions about my experience. Nothing out of the ordinary. I was told that the regional manager was out of town and would be back the following week. I was told that I would be interviewing with him. I never heard another word from them regarding the position either way.