DSW Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.1

110 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at DSW.

I applied online, went into the store and introduced myself to the manager. Within the next couple of days I was called to schedule an interview. There are 2 interviews - one with the hiring manager and one with the store manager. They were each close to an hour long. I was asked about the store values and to explain what they meant to me, and to provide examples of times when I felt like I showed those qualities. I was also asked my favorite types/brands of shoes.

Interview Questions
I was called and offered $9 over the phone. I said that my previous job had paid $9.17, and I had closing and cash register experience and we agreed on $9.25

Other Interview Reviews for DSW

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online - interviewed at DSW in September 2014.

Complete BS taking the extensive assessment test. I wasn't even able to complete the times one. 10 minutes is far to short of a time period to be able to take in each question and find the correct answer. All this for a part time store job is ludicrous and not cost effective. I've had 9 years retail experience and could be a proven asset but because I can't "pass" an assessment test I can't qualify for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • The times assessment test was way to complex to think and finish all the questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Online application then I had to go on two interviews. First with an assistant manager then the store manager. Took them like two weeks to be notify me that I got hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mays Landing, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mays Landing, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at DSW.

Group interview, pretty effortless, no need to have retail experience. As long as you don't have a 3rd eye, they'd probably hire you. They did check my references. I was called and offered the job soon after my references let me know they had called.

Interview Questions
    None.is what it is. Even my annual review was literally her telling me your raise is $0.25.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DSW in July 2014.

Applied online and was called a week later for an interview, it was me and one other in the interview . All the questions were very simple from what I could tell the manager was looking to see how my personality was and how we'll I could communicate with others. Interview was very short and after wards she put me through a background check. Got called the next day and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating. Was offered 9 an hour unfortunately I was expecting something higher but accepted anyways

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at DSW in June 2014.

I applied online and then got called a few days later. Then I got an email to schedule an interview. After the interview I was told that the assistant manager would call me for a second interview. I never got the call and got an email saying I was under qualified.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite DSW shoe and why?
      General situation questions.
      Why do you want to work at DSW?
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DSW.

Applied online and I found the process rather unprofessional. They emailed me about the interview times and I had asked who I needed to ask for when I entered the store. They told me to say I was there for an interview; I would have liked to known who I was interviewing with. Showed up and the interview was a group one. I felt like I was in a tribunal trying to fight for a sales position. They had asked us all the same questions and we had to answer all of them in random order. I felt like the whole thing was really unprofessional and would not work there because of that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at DSW.

A group process, team members and group of new employees, Just love shoes, is the answer they are looking for. They ask a few questions you can raise your hand they will ask questions to anyone they want to ask questions to. It is a fairly easy process.

Interview Questions
    We were able to negotiate salary? Know how much you should be earning in position and field. Personally I gave a lower price and they gave me more.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DSW in May 2014.

I applied online and about a week later I got a call asking to come in for an interview. It was a one on one interview which was a good thing since, for me at least, they're easier and a little less stressful. The hiring manager was wearing a button up shirt and jeans, he was young and casual. Overall, the interview did go really well. It was a little strange at one point since he wanted me talk in third person about myself, but working with him I see that's just how he is, a friendly and funny manager. He said he would call me in a couple of days to set up another interview with the store manager. He called back saying that they were going to move to the hiring process and that the manager said she didn't need to meet with me because I guess the interview went that well or something, I'm not entirely sure. But overall it took about 1-2 weeks and I thought it was a pleasant experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewer asked me "Do you think someone should go to jail for stealing $500 worth of merchandise? How about $2 worth of merchandise?" which I didn't really know how to feel but I tried to answer it the best I could   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Annapolis, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DSW.

I was contacted a couple weeks after putting in an application for a group interview (I don't know if they still do group interviews though). The questions were pretty standard like "how you would deal with a dissatisfied customer?", "are you good at multitasking?", etc. Mostly all experience and behavioural questions. They just want to see that you are cheerful, respectful, and care about making the customer's experience a good one. Also that you have the ability to balance helping customers and performing other tasks at the same time.

Interview Questions

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!