DSW

Average Difficulty
102 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at DSW in March 2013.

Interview Details – You must set up an online account and take the questionnaire. The questions determine how well you would fit into the culture they are creating with their values. There is no sense in answering how you think the manager wants you to. They are quickly able to tell if you have been dishonest once you get to the actual interview. The interview is set out with a manager (possibly a second) and you are asked direct questions about your past, how you can provide best customer service, etc. If you have no experience, it may be difficult to answer but try to relate it to volunteer work or possibly school.

Interview Question – How will you be objective when being approached by an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start out competitively in pay. Minimum wage is okay to ask for and they will probably give you more. If you ask for too much, they will only offer what they believe you are worth based on previous experience, how long you plan on staying, etc.

El Centro, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DSW in August 2012.

Interview Details – Got a call from one of the managers and went in two days later for a group interview. After a brief introduction the other four prospective empoyees and I were led out to the sales floor. We then had to pick a show and "sell" it to one of the managers.

Interview Question – No real unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. I got a call on the phone to go fill out some more paperwork online and their standard pay.

Peoria, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at DSW in April 2014.

Interview Details – Slow orientation, quick interview process, does not really ask you so many questions, very difficult learning new things and do not really teach you step by step, some people are rude and do not give you hours if you mess up once

Interview Question – 2 punch clocking in and clocking out if you punch okay twice while clocking in you have to sign all these papers so they can pay you right   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at DSW in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and then got called a few days later. Then I got an email to schedule an interview. After the interview I was told that the assistant manager would call me for a second interview. I never got the call and got an email saying I was under qualified.

Interview Question – What is your favorite DSW shoe and why?
General situation questions.
Why do you want to work at DSW?
  Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at DSW in September 2012.

Interview Details – Took about a month to get hired from the initial application online. I was contacted by email about going in for an interview and a week or two later was offered the job and given details about the training process

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay rate was based on what you preffered

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DSW.

Interview Details – Applied online and I found the process rather unprofessional. They emailed me about the interview times and I had asked who I needed to ask for when I entered the store. They told me to say I was there for an interview; I would have liked to known who I was interviewing with. Showed up and the interview was a group one. I felt like I was in a tribunal trying to fight for a sales position. They had asked us all the same questions and we had to answer all of them in random order. I felt like the whole thing was really unprofessional and would not work there because of that.

Interview Question – "Who is your favorite shoe designer?"   Answer Question

Wyomissing, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at DSW in March 2014.

Interview Details – Immediately contacted me by email and scheduled an interview. Interview with the store manager went very well. Just asked about former experience, my favorite stores, my experience with customer service and talked about the position at DSW. Offered me a job right then and there. Then 2 weeks later I was scheduled to go to a group orientation at the store which was 4 hours and we learned everything we were suppose to know about giving customer service, signing people up for rewards, checking the shoes etc.

Interview Question – It was a casual conversation it didn't really consist of weird questions it was more of just asking me about my experience and then telling me about the company and position.   Answer Question

Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at DSW.

Interview Details – A group process, team members and group of new employees, Just love shoes, is the answer they are looking for. They ask a few questions you can raise your hand they will ask questions to anyone they want to ask questions to. It is a fairly easy process.

Interview Question – How many pairs of shoes do you own?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We were able to negotiate salary? Know how much you should be earning in position and field. Personally I gave a lower price and they gave me more.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at DSW in January 2010.

Interview Details – it was a two part interview, one with middle management and then one with upper management if approval is sent through to upper management from the initial interview. It was very laid back and of course very sales oriented in nature.

Interview Question – nothing out of the normal for retail, a lot of "how would you" questions pertaining to customer service   Answer Question

Annapolis, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DSW.

Interview Details – I was contacted a couple weeks after putting in an application for a group interview (I don't know if they still do group interviews though). The questions were pretty standard like "how you would deal with a dissatisfied customer?", "are you good at multitasking?", etc. Mostly all experience and behavioural questions. They just want to see that you are cheerful, respectful, and care about making the customer's experience a good one. Also that you have the ability to balance helping customers and performing other tasks at the same time.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions really.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at DSW

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DSW Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 102 interview reviews posted anonymously by DSW employees and interview candidates.