DTE Energy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014
Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.7

Safety/IH Engineer Interview

Very straight forward process using S.T.A.R behaviorial questions. They wanted to know what actions you took as an individual in certain situations regarding work related matters. As you are explaining your experience, the interviewers are writing down your response, there is little eye contact during this process.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever gone against procedure, in order to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Co-Op/Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at DTE Energy.

Used the S.T.A.R. interviewing system, which stands for situation or task action you took, and results you acheived. Interview was very systematic with the interviewer constantly taking notes and showing no inclination of whether your answer was acceptable most of the time.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used technical knowledge to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    I was given an un-negotiable offer and accepted, as Co-Ops are payed based upon their current standing in college (Junior, Senior, etc) and the pay rate is non-negotiable.

Senior Manager, IT Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at DTE Energy in February 2014.

External recruiter phone screen; internal recruiter phone screen; face to face. The interview was an extremely formal STAR style interview, probably for EEOC purposes. No deviation from the script. The two interviewers were heads-down writing most of the time, without much feedback. I was talking to the tops of their heads, kind of unsettling - I didn't learn a thing about them, the organization or the challenges they face. Question asked, answered, writing furiously. You didn't know if your answers were resonating or if they thought you were insane. It's their process, but not one I am fond of. Give me a whiteboard and a case study and I would outline a solution, ask me about a time when I had too many competing priorities and I can only answer "every hour of every day, for a total of more than 40,000 times over the course of my career"

Interview Questions
    • They asked me not to disclose specific questions, which I will respect. Remember situation-action-result structure for every answer; don't give opinions or expect much discussion. Questions appeared to have been written by committee and were all about projects you worked on - no questions that revealed leadership style/experience, business acumen or people skills despite the fact you are managing an org of 50 people. STAR interviews are fine for younger people, but they don't make much sense for senior level people as they do not give you the chance to discuss your body of work and how it is relevant to the job. I left without them having any idea how I recruit, develop and lead people, if I beat my people or whether I have any financial skills. Too bad, I would have been a perfect fit.   View Answer

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at DTE Energy in February 2014.

Good communication through the process

Engineer Interview

The STAR method is used.

Interview Questions
    • giving examples for question like "tell me a time when things didn't go your way"   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DTE Energy.

I had a phone interview but the interview process should be the same regardless of where the interview is located. The interviewers asked five questions which I had to answer using the STAR method, which stands for Situation/Task, Action, Result. These questions are very open ended which may cause you to pause for awhile on a few of them, especially if you are not prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Answering using the STAR method, what was the the a technical problem you had either in school or at work and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at DTE Energy.

Phone interview at first, and they kept in good contact throughout the process. My resume was selected and I went on site and interviewed with who ended up being my supervisor. I was given a clear description of my duties.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DTE Energy.

No interview. Easy application. Hired because I knew someone in HR.

Interview Questions

I did an internship there before - it was really boring, not applicable to my major. Easy money but no relevant work experience in my field.

Engineering Coop Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DTE Energy in November 2013.

It was an easy interview. Very general questions.

Interview Questions
    • I guess one of the hardest and trickiest question is always something like this: Why did you made quit working in your previous job?   Answer Question
    I have none negotiation phase. The rate for co-ops are set.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DTE Energy in October 2013.

Two weeks after applying online I received all call offering an interview for the following week. Around two weeks after my interview I received a call offering me the position, was a lot quicker than expected, in the interview they said it could take around 6 weeks. They really followed the STAR interview method and were writing down notes the whole interview.