DTE Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.7

Safety/IH Engineer Interview

Very straight forward process using S.T.A.R behaviorial questions. They wanted to know what actions you took as an individual in certain situations regarding work related matters. As you are explaining your experience, the interviewers are writing down your response, there is little eye contact during this process.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever gone against procedure, in order to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Co-Op/Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at DTE Energy.

Used the S.T.A.R. interviewing system, which stands for situation or task action you took, and results you acheived. Interview was very systematic with the interviewer constantly taking notes and showing no inclination of whether your answer was acceptable most of the time.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used technical knowledge to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    I was given an un-negotiable offer and accepted, as Co-Ops are payed based upon their current standing in college (Junior, Senior, etc) and the pay rate is non-negotiable.

Senior Manager, IT Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at DTE Energy in February 2014.

External recruiter phone screen; internal recruiter phone screen; face to face. The interview was an extremely formal STAR style interview, probably for EEOC purposes. No deviation from the script. The two interviewers were heads-down writing most of the time, without much feedback. I was talking to the tops of their heads, kind of unsettling - I didn't learn a thing about them, the organization or the challenges they face. Question asked, answered, writing furiously. You didn't know if your answers were resonating or if they thought you were insane. It's their process, but not one I am fond of. Give me a whiteboard and a case study and I would outline a solution, ask me about a time when I had too many competing priorities and I can only answer "every hour of every day, for a total of more than 40,000 times over the course of my career"

Interview Questions
    • They asked me not to disclose specific questions, which I will respect. Remember situation-action-result structure for every answer; don't give opinions or expect much discussion. Questions appeared to have been written by committee and were all about projects you worked on - no questions that revealed leadership style/experience, business acumen or people skills despite the fact you are managing an org of 50 people. STAR interviews are fine for younger people, but they don't make much sense for senior level people as they do not give you the chance to discuss your body of work and how it is relevant to the job. I left without them having any idea how I recruit, develop and lead people, if I beat my people or whether I have any financial skills. Too bad, I would have been a perfect fit.   View Answer

Student Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DTE Energy in July 2013.

They do an initial phone screening to make sure you are a current student in the area you applied for. After will call to set up an interview and will email you confirmation with additional information on the STAR process. Must answer all of the questions in the Situation, Action, Result format otherwise cannot use that answer for whatever compentency they are looking at. Co-Op interview was easy for me but once you apply for a permenant position the process gets a little more difficult because the questions are much harder. After you get an offer you have to fill out another employment application so they can do a background check on you. You also must give W2's or pay stubs for all of your former employment positions that was mentnioned on your application. One my first day I wasn't given any information by the recruiter on where to go or when to show up. I even contacted him several times. I've heard this is a normal situation at DTE Energy.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had to work collaboratly on a project with a team. What was the outcome and how did you manage it?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate.

Plant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at DTE Energy in July 2012.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter looking for experienced external candidates, who sold me on the career advancement potential associated with the opportunity after several conversations. The developing interest generated a telephone screening interview, followed by an on site interview. A month later, an additional interview occurred at the home office, followed by an additional telephone interview with the partners. Time from initial contact to start date was five months.

Interview Questions
    • During every interview, there were questions around my willingness to leave my current employer after a short time in order to take a new opportunity.   View Answer

Engineering Coop Interview

I applied online - interviewed at DTE Energy in November 2013.

It was an easy interview. Very general questions.

Interview Questions
    • I guess one of the hardest and trickiest question is always something like this: Why did you made quit working in your previous job?   Answer Question
    I have none negotiation phase. The rate for co-ops are set.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at DTE Energy in February 2014.

Good communication through the process

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at DTE Energy in April 2012.

Knew a current manager through playing sports. Talked to him about being an intern at the company and he had me forward him my resume and had me fill out the online application.
    Heard from HR a few weeks later and the just asked basic interview questions and then called me back a week later with an offer. Had to do a hair drug test and upon passing I was set up with my orientation date.

Interview Questions
    • Can you explain [insert something from your resume here].   Answer Question
    no negotiations. Just given an offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

interviewed at DTE Energy in March 2013.

phone interview, got 6 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Did you have any conflicts with the former employer or group member? how did you solve it?   View Answer

Engineer Interview

The STAR method is used.

Interview Questions
    • giving examples for question like "tell me a time when things didn't go your way"   Answer Question

Worked for DTE Energy? Contribute to the Community!