Daktronics

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Internship Interview

Sales Internship

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview Details – Had an 2 different phone interviews, one was a group call. Then I was supposed to go on site for my third interview, but they only had time to do it on a day where I was unable to make it so they said I could do my interviews over Skype instead. Although they said that a Skype interview wouldnt make any difference, I think not meeting in person with them may have been my downfall in not getting the internship, because my interview went very well considering it was over Skype.

Interview Question – Describe a time while you were on the job and had to overcome an obstacle.   Answer Question

Electronic Test Engineer Interview

Electronic Test Engineer
Brookings, SD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Daktronics in November 2013.

Interview Details – Originally received a phone call to set up a 20-30 minute phone interview. Upon completion of phone interview, I was told they wanted to follow up with an onsite interview within a few weeks and they would get back to me. Called me back a few days later with a date in mind and set it up.

Traveled to Brookings for the onsite interview. The interview was about 3 hours. It started with a short interview with the supervisor for the position, followed by a tour of the manufacturing facility, followed by an interview with the hiring manager, followed by another department employee, and ended with an interview with an HR representative.

The travel reimbursement for the interview was simply cost of gas, which I found to be a negative as most other interviews I went for, it was mileage and about three times as much.

About 3 weeks went by and I sent a follow up interview (as I thought I was told I would hear back in that time frame). Received a phone call the next day that they planned to extend me an offer and would call back with details in a few days. Called back with the offer and did a quick half hour walkthrough of the offer with plans to catch up again at the end of the week with additional questions.

The offer was right before Christmas so we agreed to catch up after and set a timeline for responding to the offer. Caught up after Christmas and I let them know about my other potential opportunities and that I wanted to explore them, so we planned for about 2.5 weeks to have an answer.

Sent an email a few days before the deadline stating some concerns and mentioning that I wished to negotiate. Received an email the weekend after the deadline stating that we would catch up at the beginning of that week.

We spoke about concerns regarding some of the benefits I had and he asked me what number I was thinking I wanted. I was up front with an honest number about 10% higher than what they offered. He said he would talk to the hiring manager as well as do some more research of his own and get back to me the following day. He called the next two nights stating that he had not had time to complete what he wanted, so planned to talk after the weekend (about 5 days) with a decision on their end.

Reason for Declining – Through the process they told me that they came forward with their best offer, but were open to negotiation. Ultimately the HR representative called back and told me that they did not feel comfortable extending above the original offer (which was about average for my school and below the going rate I found from research; however, my GPA, extracurriculars, and internship experience was worth more than an average candidate in my opinion).

The benefits were average in some areas, but weak in areas such as yearly bonus, 401k (low match in company stock and no ROTH option), and tuition reimbursement.

I did not originally want to interview for the Test Engineer position (which Daktronics chose to kinda push me into), but the upside with this one was that a lot of responsibility would be given. In my experience, I found that this job would most likely need an employee who was hard working and willing to go the extra mile, which I felt also needed an extra financial boost for the position.

Commercial Sales Interview

Commercial Sales
Brookings, SD

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Daktronics in April 2010.

Interview Details – Took a long time to get initial response. Phone interview, then corporate day long interviews. Took a long time to get the offer callas well.

Interview Question – Asked many questions about approach to selling, none too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was offered to me. This is not the case today though. With experience you may be able to lobby for more pay and/or more time off.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview Details – Phone Interview reviewing the basic information from your resume. The interview was 30 minutes long. Review other option of relocating.

Interview Question – Would I be interested in relocating?   View Answer

Production Interview

Production
Brookings, SD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview Details – Short telephone interview with HR representative. Call back 2 days later to invite for an in-person interview with shift supervisor and HR rep. Called back for follow up interview approximately 1 week later with Plant manager, shift supervisor and HR representative. Final interview/tour a week after that with same 3 personnel.

Interview Question – Mainly just general questions. Why do you want to work for us? How far do you see yourself going in our company? Tell us about a time when...   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Daktronics in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was first contacted by HR. I had an initial 30 minute phone interview with HR. About two weeks later I had another 30 minute phone interview with the regional manager. A few weeks after that I had another 30 minute phone interview with the sales manager at HQ. About two weeks after that the regional manager came to meet with me. We had a 2 hour breakfast meeting. Then I heard nothing for about 3 weeks. Finally, I got an offer but it was just too low. I am very impressed with the people I spoke with. The company seemed to be a very good fit and would have been a great opportunity but the offer was not good enough.

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I just wish they would have addressed their salary expectations earlier so I did not have to go through the 2 plus month experience only to not accept the offer due to the low wage.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I received an offer and tried to negotiate backed up by some good numbers and research. They were unwilling to negotiate and I was not willing to go backwards in terms of overall financial status. The salary was not bad but the entire compensation package was just too low.

Student Tech Interview

Student Tech

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter by email to set up a pre-screening interview over the phone. This interview consisted of typical questions regarding my interest in working for Daktronics, my background, and future plans. About a week later, I was contacted by phone to set up an in-person interview at one of their offices. This interview was a series of one-on-one interviews with a group of the software development team leads. Most of the questions were about my resume and what languages and technologies I was familiar with. Specifically, I was asked if I had programmed in C++, C# or JavaScript before. After this set of interviews, I was given an hour-long programming exam. Each question corresponded to a major topic that is covered in the Computer Science curriculum at SDSU. The questions increased in difficulty. That concluded the in-person interview, and I was contacted by phone a few days later and offered the position.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I was asked was related to tracing through a series of function calls and determining what the console output was. If you have taken Programming Languages at SDSU, this type of question should be familiar   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation since it's a student position, but hours are really flexible.

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate

Interviewed at Daktronics

Interview Details – You will be interview twice, once with human resources and a second time with your direct manager. If this is still the case, the HR specialist will offer floor jobs to you and try to persuade you to chose a floor/manufacturing job, choose the job you have came in for!

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, I was employed as a student supervisor.

Buyer/Planner Student Interview

Buyer/Planner Student
Brookings, SD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Daktronics in September 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was quick and very direct. After i applied i was contacted the next day and did a phone interview, the person i talked to over the phone was very well spoken. In my personal interview the main person i was interviewed by was my now supervisor. He was straightforward but seemed like he just wanted to intimidate. I was hired the next day and started as soon as i could. Overall a good interview process.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Interview

Manufacturing
Brookings, SD

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview Details – after 3 trips to brookings and 200 miles of driving for appointments with an HR rep, that they cancelled,and never bothered to call me about , i finnally got to have one of the 4 seperate interviews.I interviewed with people that had no idea about the job that I was even applying for and I had to inform them of what it involved,since 2 of the interviewers were sophmore students.2 weeks later,someone called me to report to dak,and couldnt even tell me where to report to at the facility.

Interview Question – my name was the most difficult,because the interviewers had no idea what i was applying for   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation-8.00 an hour is the highest pay offered to start

Interviews for Top Jobs at Daktronics

Worked for Daktronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Daktronics interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Daktronics employees and interview candidates.