Daktronics

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.4

Buyer/Planner Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Daktronics in September 2012.

The hiring and interview process was quick and very direct. After i applied i was contacted the next day and did a phone interview, the person i talked to over the phone was very well spoken. In my personal interview the main person i was interviewed by was my now supervisor. He was straightforward but seemed like he just wanted to intimidate. I was hired the next day and started as soon as i could. Overall a good interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Intern- Live Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Daktronics in October 2011.

Received a phone interview followed up by an interview from a panel of people from all the departments such as quality, lean, live events, HSPR (high school sports and recreation) and transportation dept.

The people were really friendly they didn't ask any random or quick thinking responses like whats your favorite food, batman or superman. Pretty standard stuff from your resume and about what experiences you have.

Interview Questions
    • Its straight forward, why do you want to work here, what made you to decide this career path, etc. No random whats your favorite food questions   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Daktronics in June 2011.

Long and drawn out. Had an intial phone interview, an in person follow up interview, then a 3rd interview with my potential supervisor. I think this could have combined into a phone interview and a supervisor interview. It seemed excessive. The first in person interview was completely useless, a waste of both of our time. It was very professional I must say.

No negotiation.

Buyer/Planner Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

The process took a dayinterviewed at Daktronics in March 2011.

I applied for a business analyst job. They called back and informed me that the position I had applied for had been filled but they wanted to screen me for another job they had available. I scheduled a phone interview for the next week and was interviewed by an hr intern for approximately 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a system you developed and how you would explain it to someone new.   Answer Question

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Daktronics in March 2011.

Applied for the position on the company website and had a pre-screening phone interview with HR within 2 weeks. The HR person was very pleasant and the questions were the standard set of pre-screen questions. Asked me about what kind of projects I've worked on and had a few specific questions about some of the items on my resume. Also asked about my desired salary. After another week or two, I had a group panel phone interview with the same HR person and 3 of the company engineers related to the position I was interviewing for. They asked more specific questions about the projects listed on my resume, aiming to get at my experience with MCUs and FPGAs. Then after another couple of weeks, they flew me out for an in-person interview at the company's headquarters. This interview consisted of a tour of the town, a breakfast and lunch 1:1 interview with one of the engineers from the phone panel interview, 1:1 interview from the two other engineers on the phone panel, and a tour of the facilities. It ended with a phone interview with the same HR person, who located at another location. Throughout, there weren't really any technical questions, just specific questions about the projects I had listed on my resume. The offer came as a phone call with the HR person and one of the engineers who interview me on the phone. Overall, the company seems like a great place to work, although they won't be paying you top salary because of their location. My asking salary was far greater than what they wanted to pay, and I wasn't told this until the offer was presented. The work environment is setup as one giant room subdivided using cubicles. They have a cafe on-site and their manufacturing is done on-site as well. They even have a PCB subsidiary company which engineers can use to produce prototype boards.

Interview Questions

I received a better offer from another company.

Commercial Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Daktronics in April 2010.

Took a long time to get initial response. Phone interview, then corporate day long interviews. Took a long time to get the offer callas well.

Interview Questions
    • Asked many questions about approach to selling, none too difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was offered to me. This is not the case today though. With experience you may be able to lobby for more pay and/or more time off.

Mechanical Design Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Daktronics in December 2009.

The first part of the interviewing process was a simple phone interview. This segment was used to collect basic information about me such as my university status, my former engineering experience (previous internships), and my schedule. My interviewer also informed me about the job I had applied for and some company logistics.

Within a week, I received a return call to set up a time for a panel interview at the corporate headquarters. The panel interview consisted of me being interviewed by five seasoned employees, one-by-one in a small room. Each interviewer worked in a different department and asked different questions aimed to expose my engineering ability based on past experiences and my responses to hypothetical situations. Some of the interviewers asked repeat questions, but mostly the questions were original.

I left this interview honestly very disappointed with myself and not expecting an offer. I was five minutes late to the interview because I couldn't find the right building (Daktronics has a wide multi-building campus), and I stuttered throughout the interview. I also found myself responding inconsistently to some of the same questions asked by different interviewers. However, about a week or two later, I received an offer. I would say that if you have a good resume, your chances of getting hired at Daktronics may be better than if you have a good interview. Because honestly, my performance at my interview was abhorrent but my resume was good.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you had failed to achieve a goal. How did you respond?   View Answer
    At Daktronics, they prefer students to work 20 hours per week. They strongly encourage it, both in the way management talks to you and in a policy that grants a $1.00/hr bonus for students who reach this goal. Honestly, you shouldn't feel pressured by this. I have seen new student hires come in and work as little as 15 hours/week, and I work with some people who have even cut down to 12 hours. I used to work 20-hr weeks when I started, but it was very difficult to manage with school. If I had known that it wasn't a big deal to work less than 20 hours, I would have worked 15 when I started.

Manufacturing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Daktronics in October 2010.

No technical questions. Interview was with three supervisors and a human resource guy.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Coast Village (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Coast Village (Singapore)

I applied online – interviewed at Daktronics in January 2009.

Several phone interviews, followed by mass, in person interview in Brookings, SD.

Interview Questions
    • 'Do you think this job might be beneath you?'   View Answer
    Company pay plans are a bit like socialism.

Installationa Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Daktronics in July 2008.

I was referred from an employee and was intially called and then they scheduled a day for me to come out of visit the headquarters for interviews and I interviewed with 5 people, met the co-founder of the company, servaral vice presidents, and higher level managers.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't any negotiation, it is a final offer and that is it, take it or leave it.